Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Anne Rice

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Anne Rice « Previous Next »

Nascentvirion
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I read the Chronicles all the way through Memmnoch, and I enjoyed them. Ever try reading a Tom Clancy book ?? 700,000 pages in and you arent even at the half way point.
Raschied
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've read many an Anne Rice book. Mostly the Vampire books. I did like the original trilogy of Interview, Lestat, and Queen, and Merrick breathed some new life into the chronicles, but this latest "Blackwood Farm" was the first one I took a glance through on the shelf and actually put back. She's got Thomas Harris syndrome. Get an editor.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc ~

Interview was the only Anne Rice book I was ever able to finish. I'll readily admit that I enjoyed it, and hoped to enjoy the others I attempted to read, but unfortunately, such was not the case.

I tried to read the Vampire Lestat about three times, and never made it farther than the half-way point.

Same with the Mummy...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

one hit wonder?

10 billion chinamen
can't be wrong!
Marc
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

joalco,

INTERVIEW is an undeniable classic. The rest is horseshit. Rice is a one hit wonder.
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That explains so much....

I know she's got legions of fans (hell, i lived with one for damn near ten years), but I never could wade through that prose...
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's in her deal that they have to publish her work as delivered. No editing period
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd just like to know what the fuck happened to her editor...
Raschied
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm probably still going to pick up this latest vampire book, just so I can find out more about the Talamasca and what the fuck happens to Merrick Mayfair.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

or assorted new uses for veggies!!!
Raschied
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pick up her "Seduction of Sleeping Beauty" trilogy if you like spankings.
Genevieve
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah... just as I suspected... thanks!
Tortainglese
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

IMHO, Interview with the Vampire is her best work. I too have tried several others and never made it to the middle even. But I really like Interview and have re-read several times. Her story ideas and settings are so seductive. I always end up buying the books and then dropping out soon into it. The worst one was the Mummy, I dont remember the exact title....Ramses the Damned or something like that...really bad, a total bodice ripper cheap romance.
Joalco
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Interview with the Vampire is the only Anne Rice book I was ever able to make it all the way through. Despite the proddings of many of my friends, I just couldn't get into her writing style.
Genevieve
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was just wondering... I read "Interview With The Vampire" a long time ago, liked it alot, and don't remember being annoyed with the over-floweriness of Rice's prose. But then I picked up "Violin" and got about five pages in when I violently chucked the book across the room and vowed never to read Anne Rice's books again. Is all her work as flowery as "Violin" and I just missed it in "Interview...", or was Violin just a bad book, and should I give her another chance? What say you?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page