Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Feliz Dia de los Muertos!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Feliz Dia de los Muertos! « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A little background:

http://www.ci.tucson.az.us/hottopics/diamuertos02.html
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's a little late now, since it's no longer November Tooth, but since I just went to my very firstest Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead/All Souls' Day parade, I thought I'd pass on the greetings.

Imagine, if you will, a Halloween parade which collides with a Mardi Gras parade, while you're experiencing those legendary "secondary effects." Keep in mind, all the plastic kiddie costumes are gone. Not many kids, since it starts at 8 at night.

The only parade I've seen where the drummers were not all scheduled together, yet were able to maintain a consistent beat the length of the parade, rather than each trying to set his own rhythm.

The only parade I've seen where performers stood like statues on the pillars leading to the 4th Avenue Underpass to direct marchers into its dark gaping maw, while fire artists performed above the mouth.

The only parade I've seen which ended with an hour-long performance by the fire-performance-art troupe Flam Chen. (http://www.flam-chen.com/about.html)

The only parade I've seen that I plan to BE IN next year.

'twas quite something. I'd recommend coming to Tucson next year if you're looking for a surreal evening. All the magic and dark joy and raw primitive disturbed pleasure which has been sucked out of the Disneyfied Halloween is lurking just two days later in this Mexican-Catholic custom . . . a custom in which all are welcome to participate (much like Mardi Gras!).

(Oddly, most of the participants were white folks, the music was "tribal + jazz + surrealish" rather than Mexican, and every word spoken to the crowd was in English. Guess that's what happens when you're 60 miles from the border with a 60-65% white population?)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page