Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Happy Guy Fawkes Day! « Previous Next »

Bjacques
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At least the fake absinthe they used to sell was cheaper, at only 8 guilders (3.65 euro) and it tasted ok. Portuguese Neto Costa is available locally and, at 28 euros, is a drinkable alternative to Hill's.

No, Amsterdam doesn't have as much going on as New Orleans, but it's much smaller, about 750,000 people in an area not much bigger than the French Quarter and the area towards Lee's statue (Lee Circle? I haven't been there in ages). There's plenty going on here, and you can stagger home afterwards. If you're tired of Amsterdam, an 8-hour train ride gets you to Berlin, Paris or London. Prague is an overnight trip.

You have to be 16 to drink beer and buy cigarettes, and 18 to drink hard liquor or enter a coffeeshop. In that respect, it's a little like New Orleans used to be.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Amsterdam has nothing on New Orleans. There is no comparison.
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gotta love Amsterdam! They really know how to have a party and you can find one every day. The Absinthe Nite Bar sucks though. When I was there in June, the only absinthe they had for sale was made by the owner at 15 euros the glass. It was a brown, macerated concoction that was barely drinkable. The bottle of hills proudly displayed behind the bar should have been a giveaway. They also didn't give a fuck when I told them there website has had a virus for over a year.
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to my London friends, it's only sparklers and paraffin, no bonfires. The real carnage takes place in Amsterdam on New Year's Eve. All the cool fireworks that were outlawed in every state in the union, in the '70s are available at your corner store. Then there's the really illegal ordnance smuggled in from Belgium. The Dutch just go nuts, and the Nieuwmarkt (which includes Chinatown) turns into Ground Zero. The next morning it's ankle-deep in broken Heineken bottles and red paper sludge.

Come to Amsterdam and fulfill your wildest pyroamaniac dreams...
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Burn the GUY!

http://www.bonefire.org/guy/

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page