Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What's the difference...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » What's the difference... « Previous Next »

I_B_Puffin
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with Perruche_Verte on this. I could get several bottles of my favorite Port for that price, 2 or 3 bottles of extra old cognac, or a whole case of a good Late Bottle Vintage Port.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it doesn't taste good, forget it. If it tastes like some sort of medicine to eliminate intestinal worms, dump it. Like anything else with a colorful reputation, absinthe can at times be an emperor with no clothes.

It's a fact of human nature: If I went ahead and spent $226.90 on a bottle, I'd bend over backwards to convince myself that the stuff inside had some redeeming value -- even if it really didn't.
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, now we're hearing what many of us suspected about Logan Fils, despite its preposterous price. (For some of you newer folks, spending over $100 per bottle for a commercially-manufactured absinthe is ridiculous and unnecessary, let alone $150 or $200+.

While tastes in here vary, several of the better products from France (Emile 68, Francois Guy, La Fee, Pernod 68) and Spain (Segarra), can be obtained for $50 to $70 per bottle, including shipping, when you buy a few at a time. Emile 68, which in my humble opinion, is the best of these, is more expensive, at $80 - still a far cry from $200, and a great product.

If the new Kubler 57 from Switzerland (on order, on its way to me) shows itself as an improvement over its 45-degree counterpart, then we may even have a (relatively) inexpensive challenge to those costly La Bleue's. I hope so, but we'll see.
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Vortex and Mindwalker,
Glad you could join the fray, and the water is nice! I'll be more than happy to sample your Logan Fils and see how it matches up to some of the finer Spanish, Czech, HG, and what-not. ;)
Vortex
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lurkers R Us.
I figured I'd pop in and say hi as well. I've been lurking for a while and gained some pretty valuable info from all who contribute. I have tried Logan Fils as well and agree about it being extremely herbal. It's so saturated that it almost seems to get thicker when it louches. (a microcosm of floating green molecules) I've only tried about 5 absinths so far and I found it to be quite a bit more bitter than the others. Drinking it almost made me gag a couple of times. I can't be more specific with the taste as I don't have enough experience detecting the different ingredients. I'm pretty sure it has much more wormwood than most other brands but I'm guessing that it's way too much even by vintage standards. Do I like it?... I do to some extent but can only stomach it on certain occasions. I wouldn't rate it as high as the others regarding taste. I haven't had the oppertunity to try any other Chech absinthes to compare it too. Would I buy it again?... probably not. I'm saving a quarter of the bottle that remains for a rainy day. It actually tastes quite good when mixed in with a Pina Colada (not sure how it's spelled)mix. The labels are printed with a color laser printer.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"If you have an extra $230 laying around, I would recommend giving it a try."

That would get me three bottles of vintage port or armagnac from the year I was born. I believe you that it's good; I'm just not sure it can be that good.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I must have had "toomuchmoneyitis" until this last year. I started restoring old cars. That definitely cured the disease!

It is also an effective way of insuring that you'll never get it in the first place. Especially with eBay out there. I mean, I don't NEED a new bumper (speedometer/steering gear box/set of ball joints/etc), but dammit, I probably will eventually...
Amindwalker
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I remember correctly, the package came from the Czech Republic.
Baz
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I must have had "toomuchmoneyitis" until this last year. I started restoring old cars. That definitely cured the disease!
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

How can I catch it?

It's primarily an inherited disorder.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is "TooMuchMoneyitis" a treatable condition? Would you want to treat it ;-) How can I catch it? I've had "not-enough money-itis" several times in my life...

Thanks for the input Amindwalker. I too have been lurking for a while. Absinth.com is REALLY close to me. Did you notice if the package did indeed come from Albany, NY?

Their La Bleue is tempting... but at $150/bottle + $17 shipping.?... I'm not sure $33 is enough of a savings to merit Not buying from Betty. If she has the best, guaranteed, why not buy it.
Amindwalker
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried Logan Fils about five months ago. I can tell you that out of all the absinthes that I have sampled (about twenty) it is, in my experience, by far the most herbally potent. Much more than Emile or La Bleue. The taste, however, is not what I would consider ideal. It's not bad at all, just not the best. The color is a pronounced chloropyllic green, and it louches pretty well. If you have an extra $230 laying around, I would recommend giving it a try. I would not suggest it for a beginner because it is very strong, and the taste is a bit unusual. In answer to drinkslinger's question, I've also tried that company's La Bleue, and to me it seems exactly like Betina's La Bleue #3. It may or may not be the same product, but for all usefull purposes, they are identical. I do have to say that although this La Bleue sells for about $25 less than Betina's, I'd rather spend the extra money for the peace of mind that Betina's serices provide. I've never tried her La Bleue #2, but the #1 is my favorite Absinthe. It has a slight vanilla taste to it.
By the way, this is my first posting. I have been reading the forum for about a year now, and I felt it was time to say hello.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think, at the $200 price point, I'd rather go with Betty's La Blue & a guarantee of arrival than some unkown brand with zero guarantee. I work too hard for my money.

Is it the consensus of this board that Betty's #2 is the "best" of her Swiss La Bleues? I have the descriptions she sent me and it sounds like each successive batch (#) is better than the last. Is this true? Just when I decide on # 2 I read about #3.. then I read about #4... then of course there's the new Vert La Bleue... Jeesh, I was hoping it would be easy.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We need someone with TooMuchMoneyitis to show up. Any Rockefellers or Vanderbilts lurking?

You can buy it for ME, and I'll share . . .
Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i don't know anyone who has tasted 'logan fils'
Drinkslinger
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well I'd rather not spend $200 (US or Canadian...) but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and cough up the dough to get the best. If you've got any tips for cheaper, comparable absinthes let me know :-)

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to this liquor. I've got a good pallette for alcohols of the world. I have had a glass of Swiss La Bleue, and many glasses of Kubler. Would you say Betty's # 2 is the "best" of the La Bleue's she offers?
thanx
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't like the color and 200 us$ is way too much for me. I would like to ear some reviews from fortunates forumits.

About the LaBleus, I really doubt it is from the same sources. Even Betty's are not all from the same source. If you really have 200 $ to spend on a single bottle, ask Betty for her #2, you won't be disapointed.
Zman7
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't answer that, but what is more interesting is the "Logan Fils" absinthe they are selling.
http://www.absinth.com/index.html
This issue and product was raised on the forum about a year ago, but no more information since.
The process and ingredients (with a few glaring exceptions)are pretty close to most 19th Century recetes I have seen. Has anyone of us tried it? At more than twohundred bucks a bottle, it is very steep. Another interesting thing is that the address given is in the USA. I would assume that the goods are probably drop-shipped from Europe somewhere (can you say "Czech Republic?").
Drinkslinger
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can someone with more knowledge than I explain this.

Does the "La Bleue" sold at this site -
http://www.absinth.com/links/swiss.html compare with any of Betty's "La Bleue". Is this an actual LA Bleue from Switzerland or just an intentional mislabel?

Thanx

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page