Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through November 09, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Sebor Absinth? » Archive through November 09, 2002 « Previous Next »

Nascentvirion
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some do Some dont... I do
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Secondary effects" are highly subjective. I've tried a number of brands (though far from all!), and have never experienced anything significant. I've heard it described as "like being very alert while buzzed," and "like very mild marijuana."

If you're just looking for a fun high, save your bucks, buy a bag of weed and spend the rest on Everclear, or acid, or mushrooms, or X, or whatever your tastes prescribe. Absinthe, at least in the US, is a luxury not unlike a quality cigar . . . far too expensive to waste on a quick buzz, and too subtle to appreciate by the gulp.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Come on, he seems too polite.

Some people don't experience 'secondary effects' with ANY absinthe, including the really good ones.

They're not something to seek so much as to enjoy when they happen. I get them with most commercial absinthes, including the ones that are oil mixes, but I haven't tried Pernod 68.

In my case, the most striking have been with Un Emile, but they are still rather subtle and can't really be dissociated from the effects of the alcohol itself.
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think this might be a good time for another "Rant Like Don" contest.
Endofkarma
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But still...Pernod 68 gives...secondary effects right?
Zman7
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

EOK,
Yeah, I agree with Wolf, the whole thujone thing is bullshit. Please read Ian's article about how exagerated the whole thujone thing is. Pernod 68 is a good choice for a first timer. I recommend two sugar cubes with it watered by five. DON'T even think about lighting it on fire! ;)
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The whole thujone issue is bullshit. They should state how much wormwood/L, anis/L and total herbal content/L they use in the recipe, be it in oil or dry herb quantity, that would be a better indication. Forget about it. Enjoy your drink, that's all.
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marketing bull...Other brands CLAIM to have much more. But forget about that. Go for flavor. The rest will follow.
Endofkarma
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone for your help, me & my friend have decided to try out Pernod 68% as our first Absinth experience. Now I wonder if anyone happens to know the Thujol % in Pernod? Is it true that Sebor has the highest percentage of all Absinthes? Or is it marketing bull?

Thanks again!
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In fact I did try to get some but had some problems with customs... Now that should be solved but I recently lost my job so no order for me for now (massive layoffs...high tech industry ...the usual story we ear since last year damn it).

Anyway, when I did try to get some it was just for the pleasure of having the bottle on my shelf because according to Peter, if I remember correctly it was not great (but of course, with Jade's and vintages side by side, he was spoiled ;-) ).
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, Pernod 68 tastes somewhat like a cross between La Fee and Sebor, IMO.. Now, that might cause some to look elsewhere, but it's actually very tasty. It's a little more herbal than La Fee with a bit of that Sebor bitterness. I'd add it to the list of "good oil mixes"... As long as that Pernod brand name doesn't raise unrealistic expectations, you might find it enjoyable.

Oh, and just for the record....boffo secondary effects.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

pernod4
pernod-ricard 68°,jade pernod fils,vintage pernod fils, pernod anis c.1930
pernod3
pernod-ricard 68°, jade pernod fils, vintage pernod fils
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and I'm sure you will soon provide us with a side by side review of modern vs vintage Pernod right ?
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pernod 68 is that good ?

It's an oil mix right ? Is it comparable or better than Larsand ?
Zman7
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tips? OK, sure.
For your first absinthe adventure, avoid any absinthe spelled "absinth" including Sebor. Sebor, IMHO, tastes like a batch of Jagermeister gone bad. For your first sampling I would suggest Emile 68 available at www.absintheonline.com
Pernod 68 available from www.spiritscorner.com in Spain or from www.lafeeverte.de in Germany. La Fee, Francois Guy are all OK also. Check Kallisti's section on available brands and where to order them from. PSSSST, you did read the FAQ's didn't you?
Crosby
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.absintheonline.com/
Crosby
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.feeverte.net/absinthe-guide.html
Endofkarma
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well to be honest, me and a friend are trying out Absinth for the first time and Sebor looked like the most professional mailorder option for us. Any tips on other reliable sources for buying Absinth from Scandinavia? Or tips on what brand to try out first?

Thanks for all your help!
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I totally agree with Wolfgang. At half the price, Sebor would be a tasty diversion from more traditional absinthe. But, Endofkarma, should you decide that Sebor's what you must have, then seborabsinth.com will get you the real stuff, not the "Nasty Sebor Strong".
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THere's also debate over whether Sebor actually manufactures the Nasty Sebor Strong. I've seen Sebor claim they do not, and that the name has been hijacked.

Regardless, the Nasty Sebor Strong is just that . . . Nasty. I haven't tried Sebor, but I have tried the Nasty Sebor Strong. Don't waste your money on that one.
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was some trouble between Sebor and one of the sites that supposedly represented him a long while back. I don't remember which site is which, and really couldn't care less.

If Sebor is your favorite brand, then I have to ask what others have you tried?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you already tasted other absinthe and really want to know how Sebor taste like, it's all right. Otherwise, be aware that it's too expensive for what it is, even if it's IMO quite palatable.

Would I order it again at this price ? No

At half the price ? Maybe.
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

..for considerably less money.
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why Sebor when there are so many better absinthes available from reliable sources?
Endofkarma
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone here ordered Absinth from www.seborabsinth.com? I just want a recommendation so I won't be shopping from a bogus company. Is everything they say accurate?

Thanks...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page