Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The Forum: EBAY ANNEX - Absinthe Wing

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » The Forum: EBAY ANNEX - Absinthe Wing « Previous Next »

Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head: If the weasel boyz selling stuff made the auctions private to begin with.....

...then we wouldn't have to worry about toads emailing us with noise, right?

Why does this stuff attract nuts, I wonder.

eBay that is?

*shrugs*

Well, gotta go check my auction 'watching list!
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a feeling that the sudden rash of modern absinthes on Ebay (can you say "Optimalsmarts?") will bring unwelcome attention to obtaining absinthe. It is only a matter of time until the aTf starts to take notice. I don't think they care to much about absinthe per se, but the sliding in of non-taxed booze is gonna piss them off for sure. Then whamo, Customs is checking all packages from Espana and Deutschland. Don't say I didn't warn ya'll.
BTW, is Jade really going to be offered by these guys?
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have had eBay "absinthe" search in my IE favorites...duh. (half broke obsessed maniac)

I also got an anonymous email from someone telling me that something I bid on was a rip off.
Most of the time, if and when I win something...it's not what I bargained for. For the past month or two, I have not bid on anything. I guess my obsession is waning.

Yep, the price and reserve on most of the "Junk" is rediculous. I'm back to SC and Markus.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxy, haha... very funny.

OM, Thanks. I'll surely draw
attention to myself now.

Polly, way to state the
obvious.

Chevy, Right on man.

Head, quit cryin' pussy!!!
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to feel the same as Head, until I discovered that absinthiana collectors are obsessed maniacs who check eBay every 2 seconds for new auctions ... and do searches on every possible spelling permutation of the words "absinthe" ("absinth"?, "absynthe"? "absynth"?) and Pernod ("Pernot"?) ... and routinely do "bidder searches" to find out bidders' histories ... and make it unlikely to get a good deal on eBay, regardless of whether it's publicized here or not.

(IMO, the term "good deal" is awfully relative. A fountain worth $7000 is a "good deal" if gotten for $5000 ... but how many of us are ready to spend even $5000 for a fountain?)

Perhaps you could try waiting months and years until the other obsessed collectors have already won samples of each common-to-somewhat rare spoon and glass type; then, when they're satisfied (or broke) and out of the game, jump in and clean up. Needless to say, you must be patient to do this.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only auctions I find worthy of mention are the ridiculous ones (like the Mari Mayans bottle selling for $84), the scandalous ones (i.e. fakes and blatant misrepresentations) and the ones so far out of my reach I'll never go there (like antique absinthes).

Anonymity is as anonymity does.
Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Re B & C

Have vendor make it a PRIVATE auction.

Easy enough, right?

Is that what you were thinking of?
Oxygenee
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How right you are. It's absolutely infuriating.

Anyway, just in case anyone missed this genuine sealed Pernod Fils bottle, currently only EUR 40:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1787408853
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tell us how...

A. To get a good deal on Absinthe related
items when they get extra exposure
over here in front of an audience with
the same interest?

B. To retain one's privacy while bidding
on said auctions?

C. It's anyone elses FUCKING BUSINESS what
someone is bidding on?

Your thoughts please.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page