Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe for Sale in New Orleans?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe for Sale in New Orleans? « Previous Next »

Tavarua
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I found one place that claimed to get it in from time to time, but the brands he named where all Czech. If you really want to know where, drop me a line. Everyone else down there was like "Sure we got absinthe." and then reach for the Herbsaint bottle.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Buried deep in a mound of other bullshit on that site is Ted Breaux's response:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php3?ID=2718
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can say for certain that there are bars in N.O. which are selling Absente and claiming it is real absinthe. I can also say for certain that the distributors of Absente deliberately try to give bar owners the impression that it IS real absinthe, since a promoter I used to work for bought a case of it under those pretenses.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That person must be very impressionable. What he drank was Absente, which is a pastis. The company that imports it uses deceptive marketing and packaging to hint that it's really absinthe, but it isn't. No bar in the U.S. would sell absinthe.

Absente is reviewed in the Buyer's Guide.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absente? Herbsaint?

From personal experience, the true Absinthe would not be sold in a bar in New Orleans (or other US states, I'm sure) unless you know the bartender quite well.
Mindwarp
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all. I have just visited the following link:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php3?ID=847

If you check it out you will see that this guy talks about his absinthe experience in New Orleans, and claims he has _ordered_ two glasses of the green concoction in a _bar_ in the French Quarter, prepared in the old traditional way and all.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this... even just whether you can say it is true or likely from personal experience.

Thank you very much.
mw

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page