Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

French Muckus

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » French Muckus « Previous Next »

Cheri
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You could soak it in Mari Mayans, but it might disolve the glass...
Crosby
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hills will definitely etch the glass and the fumes are quite caustic. Sorry Zman.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lemony Lasala should do
the trick.

In fact you'll leave it
sitting in there untouched
for so long it will take no
time at all to safely
dissolve it away.
Luvlite68
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have you tried calcium removing products like CLR two to three times? I've used it with pretty good success.

You don't need to worry about the acid etching the glass.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Avoid antiques at all cost.

GO ANCHOR HOCKING!!!
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like it involves a lot of hardware. Isn't there an easier way?
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jay, I'll email you.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The best way is to tumble the toppette in a gem tumbler, with a custom made acrylic barrel to hold the item.
You will need Tin Oxide for the polishing medium, and angle cut copper #16 wire mixed in the medium.
Drop me a line and I can give more information.
Jay
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It seems that most antique carafes and topettes have at least a little calcium scum in them. Sometimes it's only visible when the glass is held up to the light, other items I've seen are heavily encrusted. I've had limited success removing it and was wondering if the collectors and chemists out there might have some ideas as to what might work.
I've tried soaking in white vinegar. A tip that I found on the web was to use Polident tablets followed by using uncooked rice in water as a mild abrasive, swirled around in the container. I've also read that petroleum jelly, applied in a thick layer and left overnight works, but due to the narrow opening of a topette this wouldn't be practical. I didn't have much success with CLR and was worried that the acid would etch the glass.
The best thing would be to not buy glassware with scunge on it. Since many French sellers think it's best to leave an item in it's "own juice", it's a flaw that frequently doesn't get mentioned and doesn't prevent them from listing it as being in tres bon etat. Haze does not show up well in photographs either.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page