Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through November 08, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Kubler 57 » Archive through November 08, 2002 « Previous Next »

Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

TENSE?! ME?!

Are YOU.... talking to ME?

Are you ARMED? I HOPE so. I'll chew your swollen liver out with my own dull yellow incisors...

Whoops, wrong thread. I mean you no harm, sir; good day.
Silent_Rich
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why so tense? Twas almost as if I had made a personal insult ... and obviously the web is criucial or I'd not be an absinthe drinker ...
Silent_Rich
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was being satyrical, although I think it does somewhat taint the romance of it, but not enough for me to care anymore than to say that much.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't get it -- what, is that too crass and unromantic for you?

The absinthe makers understand very well that the Belle Epoque imagery may help sales, but they are doing business today, in a time when the Web is crucial to their outreach.
Silent_Rich
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kinda depressing when the absinthe companies put their web addresses on their bottle labels.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Swiss hausgemachter: "Absinthe ritual? What a load of horse#%&!!"

my picture
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some info about Kübler straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.lableue.biz/de/absinthe.html

The above website address is printed on the label of Kübler bottles.
Zman7
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The objectionable smell from Kubler seems to be that of empyreumatic wormwood. If wormwood was (is)in Kubler, then one would think that the Swiss goverment would be concerned. Unless of course Swiss law has been changed to more reflect that of her neighbors, which are members of the EU.
Tabreaux
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I seem to recall being informed by Swiss enthusiasts that apparently, the Swiss authorities do not regard Kubler as 'real absinthe', and therefore it is a legal product. As to what basis was used to form this assessment, one can only speculate.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like Kubler, too. Sure, I understand that its peanut buttery goodness is a mistake, but as Absinthe mistakes go it's not the worst mistake.

But, didn't Ted or Petermarc comment that "Kubler isn't Absinthe"? What's up with that?
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like Kubler. When it first came out it seemed fairly popular, but now it's no longer novel.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, as soon as I posted that last message I remembered that. Emile 45 and 68 aren't totally dissimilar, though. Well, my fingers'll stay crossed for another two weeks or so, until the new Kubler gets here!
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Emile is a different story. The 45 and 68 are different recipe's. Absinthedrinker posted here that they tried what Zman explained and it did not work out to be the product they had in mind. I also hope Kubler gets it together, I don't see how they can go on ignoring such a major flaw.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's just that comparison that motivates me to try the 57. That, and the continuing hope that I'll be able to find something that approximates a La Bleue without having to forego food and shelter.

Having already been through one bottle of Kubler 45, I agree it certainly does suffer from empyreumatic fever, but it still reminds me of a lighter La Bleue sufficiently to enjoy it when I want a lighter absinthe. I actually prefer it to F. Guy, but I know I represent the minority opinion there.

Emile 68 (my favorite) is much better than ( the refreshing, but simple) Emile 45.. I'm hopeful that a beefed-up Kubler will prove a pleasant surprise.

We shall see.
Zman7
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Kubler 45 is probably the same stuff as the 57. When absinthe comes over it all pretty much is at around 65-85 degrees (depending how long the distillery lets the run go)then watered down to whatever strength is desired. To make the 57, Kubler probably didn't water it down as much.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brave man. Let us know.

A comparison with the 45-degree would be particularly useful for those of us on the sidelines. I swore never to buy Kubler 45 after reading 3 or 4 respectable opinions to the effect that it was an overcooked mess of a La Bleue -- I hope they're getting their act together with this one.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So much for waiting. Since I started this thread, I felt a moral obligation to see this through.

Okay, so that's a lie..truth is I have no will power whatsoever when it involves trying new absinthe, so I went ahead and ordered some Kubler 57 from SC. I'll share my impressions when it arrives.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks! Mystery solved. I was looking at SC's website in Spanish, not in English. The Spanish version doesn't have Kubler listed yet.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just checked the SC website again. It's there, toward the bottom of the listings for absinthe.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was just perusing SC's website last night and it was there. Then today, lo and behold, an e-mail arrived from them announcing it.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't find any references to Kubler on SC's website. How did you find out about it? Did SC send you an e-mail?
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sadly, I join the wait...
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I await the review from someone with TooMuchMoneyItis.
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

59.49 Euros for a liter!
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SC started offering it today in liter and half-liter bottles. Hopefully it more closely resembles a quality La Bleue than its 45-degree companion.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page