Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe Art Question

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe Art Question « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And of course, what's incredible in this painting is that the tables "float" on air. Degas did it that way (no legs) because it would have ruined the composition with too much vertical lines. We could also interpret this as a representation of the "absinthe effect"...
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I remember correctly, the guy was the real absinthe drinker and the woman usually didn't drink absinthe. They exchanged the roles for the painting. All Degas asked them was to sit there and be bored. (I would have to find back my ref. about that...)
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just as I suspected.

After seeing the pictures and trying to remember the actual colors...I knew that glass of verte had to be more vibrant.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the characters in this painting were completely staged and friends of degas...in fact the woman was used to doing much more attractive sittings and lamented in later life that degas had really creamed her in this painting...i have seen the original just recently and the glass of absinthe almost glows...
Qbrick
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

She may look sad, but I'm sure inside her brain she revels in multiple orgasms of happiness.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, I hope most absinthe drinkers are happier than THAT chick. She looks 'bout ready to lop off an ear.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn I *went* to Orsay just to see *that* painting and...it wasn`t there damn it! (It was out for another expo...). Just had to vent.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Agreed Pata, thanks guys.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

e-mail me and i'll send you a post card from the museum...
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, part of the cause is that there are 100 years' worth of photos of it floating around, and even the oldest crappiest ones will continue to be published, to get around the museum's copyright on their photo. Then add to that somebody's lousy scanning job. You've got to find a recent photo from the museum itself.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not glib, that makes sense. Here's a sample of what is called the same thing.

degas
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This may sound glib, but you won't find any photograph that perfectly represents the color of a painting. It's true. But some will be closer than others. Your best bet would be to find it in an official Musee d'Orsay book. They would have the best quality control for photos of their works. The Web would be the worst place to look. Computers, scanners, monitors, jgp's, gif's, etc, all really mess up the color.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone know the actual color (or hue) of Degas' L'absinthe (otherwise known in some circles as Absinthe Drinker)? Iím talking the base HUE, not all the colors.

I see so many different representations and reproductions that I don't even know anymore...Some brown, some green, and some crap with many different colors that even I know isn't original. (they usually have no signature)

I checked the Musee d'Orsay website for the actual painting, but was unable to find it. Anyone got an actual picture? Post it here please. Danke!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page