Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The ROGUES' GALLERY

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » The ROGUES' GALLERY « Previous Next »

Amindwalker
Posted on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

About six months ago I purchased that stuff from Gert Strand, and followed the directions. Believe it or not it wasn't bad for what it was. When mixed with vodka, the product is green, it louches very well, and tastes OK. The herbal effects were more pronounced than most of the spanish brands and about equal to serpis and I enjoyed it more than Manguin or Versinthe. I would call it the poor man's Absinthe substitute. If you're going to blow money on a kit,I would recommend this one - it's cheap and easy (it takes 2 minutes to make a bottle of "Absinthe"), but you probably won't finish more than one bottle. I still haven't finished my first Batch. Ever since the new Pontarlier products became available, I just don't see the point in substitutes.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I once bought some dehydrated water"..."I didn't know what to add"

Just add Alcohol. Duh!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If we are to believe Federico (and why shouldn't we?), nearly all commercial absinthes are being made this way anyway; the auction seller is not being as dishonest as we might wish.

I wonder if Strand's product is being used commercially in anything we see on the market right now.
Zman7
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The product in question is made by Gert Strand in Sweden. Usually his products are of good quality. I will be getting some of this to test (NOT from Blazing Auctions, even though they are in my neck-o-the-woods). I'll keep the gang posted.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

T. Noirot: The spiritual ancestor of "blazingauctions".
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, isn't it exciting news that a low cost absinthe, made by an historically authentic method, is finally available?

Noirot7
Noirot3
Noirot4
Noirot5
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Hall of Lame.

First:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1792311895

"Unbelievable, a delicious bottle of Absinthe for under $20.00! Believe it!"
[Oh, I do. I do.]

"Soon you will receive a carefully packaged 20 ml bottle of Liquid Absinthe Derivative with easy to follow instructions. Just add sugar and a neutral spirit, that's it!"
[The road to retch has never been slicker.]

"The concentrate possesses the special qualities of Wormwood and over 22 herbs and spices."
[More than in KFC.]

"Produces an incredibly delicious drink on par with any commercially produced bottle of Absinthe, even the most discriminating connoisseur will be delighted."
[---]

"It has a taste like mild Pernod with a hint of wormwood."
[And as everyone knows, modern Pernod + wormwood = ...]

"Estimated 10-15 mg thujone content per 700 ml bottle."
[Estimated 10-15 mg of bullshit content per sentence.]

"Combine with neutral spirits or vodka (80-120 proof) of your choice."
[A senseless waste of decent vodka.]

"Indelibly delicious."
["Indelibly"?]

"100X superior to dried herb kits."
[Which this seller sold weekly on eBay until 5 minutes ago.]

"NOTE- This product produces a wonderful fragrant bouquet of anise and spices. The dried kits utilize a steeping process that produce a bitter somewhat pungent drink. I will no longer offer the dried kits."
[See what I mean?]

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page