Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through December 11, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Un Emile 68 Edition Speciale "Sapin" » Archive through December 11, 2002 « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anybody got their Emile Sapin ?
Tavarua
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW - someone beat the glasses you sent me. Agrivated, I really liked those glasses.
Tavarua
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I may be moving out your way sometime in the summer or early fall. Hell, in SF I could get away with a chocolate martini, hehe.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always order cosmos, I don't worry about looking like a nancy.
Tavarua
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

AS,
BE is BeefEater.

"why does it make you look like a nancy?"

I don't know why, just does. Once in a while if I go somewhere trendy like Old City, and everyone is rocking khaki's and wingtips, I will indulge. Other than that, area bars are not the place to go for a martini.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tav, what's a BE martini and why does it make you look like a nancy?
Tavarua
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Love it neat, but that can only go so far. I enjoy a good BE Martini, but for the sake of looking like a Nancy, I only do it around close friends. 2loucheltrec said everything I needed too on the Gin and Tonic, stick with the tang.
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gimlet, Raymond Chandler-style: half gin, half Rose's lime juice.

Not bad with some absinthe thrown in, either.

Absinthe NS and sweet vermouth together taste remarkably like Robotussin...
2loucheltrec
Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2002 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my g + t is tanq, it's more forward in flavor and holds up against the quinine (sp?), 1 part tanq + 3 parts tonic, fresh wedge of lime ( squeeze then drown in drink) in a tall glass... repeat as needed! martini is sapphire, more balanced flavor, generous portion sapphire + splash dry vermouth + splash blue caracao (sp?)(the color should match the color of the bottle) in shaker then add ice, shake until shaker frost over, strain into classic martini glass (three martini lunch anyone?)
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vortex: no that's like the difference between smelling a nice Christmas tree and drinking varnish.
Crosby
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gin, tonic, a splash of Angostura Bitters, wedge of lime, over ice.
I've heard that Anchor Steam makes a gin, I believe it's called Junipero. It's supposed to be quite good, anyone tried it?
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My runner-up favorite drink (after absinthe) would be the Tanqueray Martini..shot of Tank, half a cap of vermouth...shaken for 25 seconds or until the shaker frosts...garnished with a twist of lemon. So smooth, especially with the resultant shards of ice..yummy!
Vortex
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is Sapin like the stuff they use in 'retsina'? Retsina is a Greek wine that has something added to it.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Three parts gin to one part Lillet Blanc, and a dash of Fee Brothers Orange bitters, twist of lemon.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tell me, gin lovers, how do you like it? G&T's? Martinis? Neat?

Martinis are only American, right? I remember at school in France if you ordered a martini at a café you would get a sweet vermouth on the rocks.

I've seen a recipe for supposedly a classic ultimate martini which had quite a lot more vermouth than is used today and a splash of absinthe.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sapphire is 94 proof but i'm not willing to sacrifice it by trying to see if it burns... i prefer my drinks non-flaming especially absinthe!
Drinkslinger
Posted on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I beg to differ. Sambucca (40%), Grand Marnier (40%) they light up pretty well. Most sticky higher proof boozes will flame.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"i'll never forget julian segarra demonstrating how pure it was by pouring some on a table and setting it on fire..."

Peter, isn't gin 40% alcohol (80% proof)? I thought that alcohol of less than 100 proof would not light up.

The only alcoholic drink that I've seen catch fire was 150 proof rum. You fill a shot glass, light it and then try to drink it without burning your mustache (or nose). It's called a "Flaming Mongoose".
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>is segarra gin that good peter?

yes...
i brought it up when i met federico, and we both agreed it was one of the best we have tasted...
he told me it could be special ordered, but now i see he decided to put it on the site...
i'll never forget julian segarra demonstrating how pure it was by pouring some on a table and setting it on fire...it is probably my most favorite of his products...and it comes in a litre...
Herb
Posted on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tanqueray and Sapphire were my favorites till I tried Tanqueray 10. Wow. Especially if you like the citrusy notes.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

is segarra gin that good peter? tanqueray and bombay sapphire are my two favs... one of my friends said i should try tanq. no.10 but i have not tried it yet, i've been on a scotch kick recently.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My mother she killed me,
My father he ate me,
My sister, little Marlinchen,
Gathered together all my bones,
Tied them in a silken handkerchief,
Laid them beneath the juniper-tree,
Kywitt, kywitt, what a beautiful bird am I!

http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~wbarker/fairies/grimm/047.html
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and juniper is from pine family...

>Juniper is an evergreen shrub usually grows from 2 to 6 feet high in the United States, but may reach a height of 25 feet in Europe. Usually low-spreading or prostrate conifer. The bark is chocolate-brown tinged with red shredding off in papery peels. The needle-shaped leaves have white stripes on top and are a shiny yellow-green beneath. They occur on the branches in whorled groups of three and have two white bands on the upperside that are mostly broader than the green margins. Pale yellow or white flowers, appearing the second year, occur in whorls on one plant, green female flowers consisting of three contiguous, upright seed buds on another plant. Flowering time is April to June. The fruit is a small, fleshy, berry-like cone which is green the first year and ripens to a bluish-black or dark purple color in the second year. The bluish-black, rounded to broadly oval fruits (August to October) usually with 3 seeds are used in medicine and as a flavoring in gin and other alcoholic beverages.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anyone remotely interested in gin should tack segarra's onto their next order...
Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not saying there is a chemical similarity, but it is hard to argue that gin doesn't have a certain pine flavor to it. It's more prevalent in certain brands, Tangueray for example. But even in the more mild gins like Beef Eater, it can be detected.

Speaking of gin, I just checked SC and they now stock Segarra's.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page