Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through December 12, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Question pt. 2 » Archive through December 12, 2002 « Previous Next »

Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Was that brilliant?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Head! I just shit on the carpet!

Well, that's not altogether unusual.

It's in the FAQs.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Whos stopping them?

EU regs limit an absinthe labeled 'spirit' to have 10mg/ltr or less of thujone, and as a 'bitter' 35mg/ltr...

the infamous french phrase 'spiriteux aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe' was not created as a way to substitute other plants from the armoise family for absinthe in the beverage, but to follow the letter of the silly french law that does not ban 'absinthe' the plant, but still bans 'absinthe' the evil drink... a spirit cannot be labeled simply 'absinthe' even though the contents of the bottle, if made correctly, could have exactly the same composition as had exisited 100 years ago...

every batch of absinthe made in france has to be tested for thujone and fenchone
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can make newbies pooh on carpet too!

...poooh newbie poooh....
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fin,
It would be my guess that most of these brands that clain "high thujone!" are hucksters who are preying on those who are looking to absinthe as a cheap high. It is very difficult to determine thujone levels with out the use of expensive scientific equipment. Even among chemists, the jury is out as to the best way to measure thujone levels. See Ian's article on the thujone issue at www.absintheonline.com
it is very informative and will answer most of the hype regarding thujone. As to what you have heard or read regarding thujone, most of it is just that, hype, and nothing more. Look to absinthe as a refreshing aniseed drink, that some people may,or may not, get secondary effects. Please read the FAQ's of this website to clear things up. Now....will someone please flame this newbie for even mentioning thujone?
Fincavigia
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some absinthe brands claim to have 30mg thujone rather than the usual 10 or whatever. If they can make it 30mg, why don't they go ahead and make it 100? Whos stopping them?

qwiib1
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fin,
As for the liquid essences, I have experimented with only one, the Gert Strand one. It creates an absinthe similar in flavor to Deva, LaSala, and the general flavor of Spanish oil mix absinthes. Mr. Strand maintains it is the same essence that many commercial (so-called) absinthe makers use, and I don't doubt it based on my experience. It is not bitter, but to make it louche (and taste more like real absinthe) you need to add a significant amount of anise oil in addition to the contents of the essence bottle. It's not great, but if you mix it right, you can turn out a decent facsimile of your average Spanish absinthe. As for the kits with dried herbs that you mix with grain alcohol, they only make a noxious mixture, and may even be dangerous to your health.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As for 2ndaries, I'm w/the Dink Linger-the 1st was the best. After that, hit or miss. And only when the drinking environment is chilled out. It's still a good party buzz, but the ephemeral other good shit don't seem to show up.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Finky,
Folks is correcto-try a bunch. I seem to get tired of everything I have at the moment, if I have only one, or a few. Then I re-up, get a couple different ones, and get tired of them too. Spirits Corner, 2 at a pop, is a good way to sample, as the Trainer of Z pointed out.
And don't forget the SERPIS.
And screw yer pal too. Sneak a healthy slug just the second ya get some.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

. . . and the general consensus on cheap absinthe essences is that you get what you pay for.

Just so nobody else has to get huffy and go through it . . .

The absinthe "essence" consists usually of a slew of powdered herbs which you mix with Everclear. The lack of distillation means that all of the bittery goodness of the Artemisia will be present (distillation reduces it). There will probably be a TON of anise in the blend to help cut the bitterness, but it will still be kinda nasty.

Chances are you will drunk enough from the Everclear not to care that you have something which tastes like a bitter anisette.

By the way, anisette is $5 at Walgreen's. Cheaper than essence, I'd wager.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My best advice would be to read the buyer's guide, then order TWO bottles, of different brands, at the same time.

I typically order from SC, when not buying Emile, and here's the deal: Shipping costs more than the booze.

Your 15-20 Euro bottle will cost 40 Euros to ship to the US. Two bottles will ALSO cost 40 Euros to ship, not 80 Euros (two bottles at once = 20 +20 + 40 = 80 Euros. Two separately = 20 + 40 + 20 + 40 = 120 Euros). Three bottles cost the same to ship as five.

If you order from SC, use airmail (2 weeks, tops). The economy shipping takes 6-9 weeks, not worth the five or six dollars saved.

I assume the shipping cost breaks are similar from Markus. I hear his service is also excellent.
Fincavigia
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whats the general consensus on the cheap absinthe "essences" out there? are they completely worthless?
Zman7
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When you do pop your absinthe cherry...keep the Zippo away. ;0
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The first time I thought it was great... and yes, there was a secondary effect (Kubler). The second time was just as great. After that I've been pretty unsure about the secondary effects. Sometimes it's there, and sometimes not. Perhaps the daily intake of Absinthe is blurring my judgement.
I know I hate Ulex, and the Versinthe La Blanche is not too far behind. I seem to prefer the lower Thujone brands... go figure.
Fincavigia
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haha, well anyway, whatever you think of Hemingway (I like the guy) I would like to know one thing. I'm not going to drink my new bottle of absinthe til a week from now, (I promised my old friend i'd drink with him). Anyway, i'm highly anticiapting it, what are some of your first experiences with absinthe? Did you love it right off? or did it grow on you? Anyway, its a tacky question, but its like Christmas Eve for me and i can't not ask questions.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hemingway, Schmemingway.. I enjoy a glass of absinthe every afternoon. That's all the endorsement I need.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He's a writer, that's what they do.
They write enticing endorsements for
bad lifestyles. That's cool though.

I guess I just didn't like having him
forced down my throat and being told
that his "the boxer" was the greatest
short story ever written... poooh!
Fincavigia
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hemingway says of absinthe: "that opaque, bitter, tongue-numbing, brain-warming, stomach-warming, idea-changing liquid alchemy"

and

he says of whiskey: "the whiskey and water in the cup tasted clean and thinly warming. But it did not curl around inside you the way the absinthe, does he thought. There is nothing like absitnthe."

Even if you don't like Hemingway you have to admit that is a pretty enticing endorsement of absinthe.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually Slinger, I'm with you! Kubler!

However, do as the others suggest...variety is the spice of life. So, "they" say. I've always wondered who "They" was (or were).
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try one of the top five a month.

Hemingway probably drank a lot of
rum and overexagerated the "secondary
effects" of his drinks because well,
that's what we fabricators do! You see
where his whining and crying and overblown
ego got him? KABLAMM!!!

*Ola, Kurt welcome to drunken loser limbo*
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's what some people say who have tasted vintage Pernod. That doesn't mean that Segarra, F. Guy or especially Un Emile 68 are bad at all.

Find a friend who'll receive your Emile for you.
Fincavigia
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it true that commercial brands today are not even comparable to the kind that hemingway and co. drank?
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The commercial brands generally favored by forumites seem to be (in no particular order).. Emile 68, Francois Guy, Segarra, La Fee, Pernod 68, Kubler and NS 70. Individual tastes vary greatly, but all of these will fall within your budgetary constraints. Try a different one each month and see which you prefer.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I might get slammed for this... but for that budget I'd buy 1 bottle of Kubler every month.
Fincavigia
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for your help in the last thread; i've got one more question pertaining to future absinthe drinking (i'm a student so i've got a tight budget): Whats the best "value" (quantity/quality/price) for absinthe to buy? ie. if you only had about $80-100 a month what would you buy? (also i can't get Emile because they can't ship to PO boxes) THANKS!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page