Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

New Absinthe Article

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » New Absinthe Article « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 17, 2002Head_Prosthesis25 12-17-02  9:27 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chevalier
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Seems that FRENCHman Phil is raiding "our precious AMERICAN cultural heritage" by going after yet another AMERICAN absinthe bottle! Mercy!

;-) Just joking, mon ami!
Raschied
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very interesting thread - more please!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of early post-ban, 120-proof, U.S.-made absinthe substitutes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=749336881
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going to rescan the booklet, if anyone wants copies of the entire booklet (12 images two pages each) let me know.....I will not take responsibility for any one that tries the Herbsaint and Coke recipe.
Jay
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay ... I see the written references to the Old Absinthe House and the Old Absinthe Bar. Still, Herbsaint was careful not to directly admit that its ancestor was absinthe. Today, Pernod pastis skirts the same issue. But who can blame them?
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It does mention in the booklet, that Herbsaint is in it's original state is a "Greenish Amber color",... much like the "Dead leaf" color that the later 120proof mini has...... I like the the line on page 3, "Only experienced chemists using the secret formula, can properly produce Herbsaint".
That sounds like someone.........
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

page 2 & 3
herb23
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The word "absinthe" doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the brochure -- yet that building on the cover looks suspiciously like the Old Absinthe House.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Inside and page one
herbp1
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1944 Herbsaint Drink recipe booklet
herbsaintbk
Eric
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

here is a close up of my 100 proof mini.

herbsain.jpeg
Eric
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

herbsain.jpeg
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

M.D., I'm mostly regurgitating some stuff I've posted here before in one form or another, but time passes and maybe it's new to some people now. Happy to know you enjoyed it.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The word (absinthe) is from the Greek apsinthion; it means “undrinkable” or, according to some authorities, “undelightful”. In either case, strange paradox? No; for the wormwood draught itself were bitter beyond human endurance; it must be aromatized and mellowed with other herbs.
Chief among these is the gracious Melissa, of which the great Paracelsus thought so highly that he incorporated it as the chief ingredient in the preparation of his Ens Melissa Vitae, which he expected to be an elixir of life and a cure for all diseases, but which in his hands never came to perfection.

Then also there are added mint, anise, fennel and hyssop, all holy herbs familiar to all from the Treasury of Hebrew Scripture. And there is even the sacred marjoram which renders man both chaste and passionate; the tender green angelica stalks also infused in this most mystic of concoctions; for like the artemisia absinthium itself it is a plant of Diana, and gives the purity and lucidity, with a touch of the madness, of the Moon; and above all there is the Dittany of Crete of which the eastern Sages say that one flower hath more puissance in high magic than all the other gifts of all the gardens of the world. It is as if the first diviner of absinthe had been indeed a magician intent upon a combination of sacred drugs which should cleanse, fortify and perfume the human soul.

The Green Goddess by Old Uncle Al

Unfortunately, most of that is flowery bullshit, but I can forgive him; if for nothing else, for turning the killer introductory phrase to the piece:

"Keep always this dim corner for me, that I may sit while the Green Hour glides, a proud pavane of Time."

Thank you, Kallisti, for keeping a dim corner for me.
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis you are amazing!
I looked it up further and here's what I found:
(if this stuff is boring let me know and I'll stop)

DITTANY OF CRETE

Family: Lamiaceae (Labiatae), Origanum dictamnus L.

Source: Simon, J.E., A.F. Chadwick and L.E. Craker. 1984. Herbs: An Indexed Bibliography. 1971-1980. The Scientific Literature on Selected Herbs, and Aromatic and Medicinal Plants of the Temperate Zone. Archon Books, 770 pp., Hamden, CT.

Dittany of Crete, Origanum dictamnus L. (formerly Amaracus dictamnus Benth. or Amaracus tomentosus Moench.), is one of the best-known healing herbs of folklore. Native to the mountains of Crete and also called dittany or dictamnus, this perennial plant can reach a height of 0.3 meters. Procumbent white, woolly stems, usually trailing, develop pink or purplish flowers in the summer. The small gray leaves have a velvety texture.

Of minor importance today, dittany of Crete is primarily used as a potted plant or as an ornamental plant in garden borders. The flowers have been used in herbal teas, but the plant has no culinary value. As a medicinal plant, the herb has been utilized to heal wounds, soothe pain, cure snake bites, and ease childbirth. In addition, it has been used as a renedy against gastric or stomach ailments and rheumatism.

Dictamnus albus L. (Dictamnus fraxinella Pers.), known as dittany and fraxinella, is often confused with dittany of Crete. This perennial plant is of the Rutaceae family and reaches a height of approximately one meter. Grown as a garden plant with showy pink, purple or white flowers, its dried leaves can be used in teas. The plant has been used medicinally as a diuretic, emmenagogue, and expectorant. However, the seed pods can cause contact dermatitis. The plant is known as the gas plant because it will often give a burst of flame when a lighted match is held beneath the flower cluster (14.1-3).

Cunila origanoides Britt. is called dittany, Maryland dittany, and stone-mint. This low-growing perennial with a minty flavor is native to the eastern United States. The plant, which has been classified as Satureja origanoides L. and Cunila mariana L., is primarily used as an ornamental border in gardens, although the leaves may be used in herbal teas.

Dittany of Crete is generally recognized as safe for human consumption as a natural flavoring (21 CFR section 172.510 [1982]).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page