Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through November 29, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » The Listening Room » Archive through November 29, 2002 « Previous Next »

Clint
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't care what any of you say, Mezzanine is the best. If any of you have the box set, well then we can argue. But I have everything they have come out with. And I still say Mezzanine is the best yet. So, ptthh.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Do you know if Mad Professor did any live shows with Massive Attack?

I don't think so.

They have my undying respect for bringing back Horace Andy on vocals. Check out his old stuff if you haven't already. Anything with "Skylarking" on it. In the '70s Horace was bigger in Jamaica than Bob Marley, but he's virtually unknown elsewhere.
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do you know if Mad Professor did any live shows with Massive Attack? It seems unlikely (to me, but what do I know?), but damn it would be great...
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They tour a lot. I've seen them 4 or 5 times in the last few years. Mad Professor does a short set of Dub mixing of recorded tracks (when I've seen him, he's set up right on the dancefloor, facing the stage -- you can walk right up and talk to him when he's not busy). Then Lee comes out with just bass and drums and either a guitarist or keyboards, very minimal. The Prof remixes 'em live Dub-style. I won't attempt to describe what happens next.
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No Protection is one of my top-three "rainy day records" of all time...

Put it on, listen to the music and the falling rain, watch the lightning dance outside the window...

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

I think I'd fucking flip if I saw Mad Professor or Lee Scratch Perry. The two together would make my head explode.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"the companion record No Protection"

Aye! Mad Professor is a fucking genius and the only man who can sustain prolonged contact with Lee 'Scratch' Perry. I've seen their joint shows many a time.
Joalco
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, no, no....

Dave Navarro ceased to be interesting not too long after Jane's Addiction broke up. He was so much cooler when he was a junkie, rather than a starstruck Hollywood wanna-be.

Mezzanine's not a *bad* album by any stretch of the imagination, but Protection, and the companion record No Protection, are incredible.
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh really?! "Mezzanine" is their weakest album. "Protection" is their best.
Clint
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mezzanine by Massive Attack is killer diller. Dave Navarro says its his favorite album. Daves solo album is pretty cool too. Listen to Daves album a few times and it starts to grow on you. It stayed in my cd player for three months.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lately its been

Feilds of the Nephilim- Fallen
Dismantetled- Dismantled
Paradise Lost- Believe in Nothing
Theatre of Tragedy- Assembley
Lady Tron- Light & Magic
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i've been listening to (and spinning a lot of) front 242's angels vs. animals lately... what a great disc.

has anyone heard the speed tribe disc they put out recently...?
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanx bjacques for reminding my that i have a future sounds cd somewere...now dj shadow i prefer his "endtroducing" cd over his latest i think i hyped it up too much for myself... now my recent cycle of cds in the car have been; massive attack's "mezzanine", lords of acid's "farstucker", chemlab's "eastside militia", front 242's "up evil", mephisto walz's "the eternal deep", vampire rodent's "clockseed" and the ever popular gwar's "scumdog's of the universe".
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

FSOL - Papua New Guinea, various mixes, an oldie but goodie. Pure brain candy.

Also, Muslimgauze, who was really the late Bryn Jones. He composed sinister Middle Eastern dance music with names like Intifada and Help Afghanistan Grow More Poppies. I blame the zeitgeist.
Genevieve
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

awww... ilove ladytron!!!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've also been on a Slayer kick these past couple of days.. With Haunting the Chapel, Raining Blood, Angel of Death, Jesus Saves, Seasons in the Abyss is probably one of the coolest metal song ever written. Surpasses anything Metallica ever did.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The new Fields of the Nephilim is amazing. The DJ Shadow cd "Private Press" is the only one I've heard from him yet. He seems really interesting. LadyTron are another group that have not left the cd player.
Uncle
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, your Uncle had his cake and ate it too. I saw both shows! Yes, you two were right on the money, Sig-Ros was great!!!! The Bass rig they had was mind numbing! Good show. Now the Rev., well maybe it was a off night. That why Im posting now.I left after 6 tunes. Unc
Genevieve
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i agree... sigur ros. man, they have to come all the way from iceland to do a show!!
Joalco
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Go see Sigur Ros... The Reverend was good in his time, but he's past his prime. He's always a fun show, but he tours pretty regularly. Who knows when Sigur Ros will be around again...???
Uncle
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Im can't make up my mind wether to see Sig-Ros or the Rev. Horton Heat! Both would be great shows!What one would you go too? There both at small veiws and would like to see both!OI!
Genevieve
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like you have similar taste in music.. you might also enjoy The Tiger Lillies (www.tigerlillies.com), Calexico, Pinback. A good place to listen to new indie bands is www.epitonic.com. Enjoy! I'll check out the dirty three, thanks for the tip.
Joalco
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i've just been turned on to them recently; they were recommended by a friend who new what a nick cave & tom waits fan that i am...

i bought amore del tropico a couple of nights back during a mass indulgence at waterloo records.

another band on touch & go that i'm completely in awe of is the dirty three.
Genevieve
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone here heard of Black Heart Procession?
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aye, DJ Shadow good. "Six Days" is the best (tho unintentional?) 9/11 song. I was a little disappointed in his stage show, though. He played the album pretty much by the numbers. And he's a slightly overrated scratcher. But he had the truly truly awesome ANTI-POP CONSORTIUM open for him.

DJ Shadow good, but DJ Spooky better.
Raschied
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was taken to a concert by a friend of mine:

Quiet Riot opened, followed by
Dokken,
Vince Neil (doing all Crue covers)
and Tesla headlining.

I was amazed how down-to-earth all these guys were. Kevin DuBrow, lead singer of Quiet Riot, even went out in the crowd after the show, shook hands, and autographed items for people. I guess when you fall that hard, you get grateful for the fans you have.

I now have Best of albums from Quiet Riot, Tesla, and Dokken in heavy rotation on my CD player.

Cum on, feel the noize....

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page