Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe is good... but who likes the...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Absinthe is good... but who likes the bubbley stuff? « Previous Next »

Bjacques
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Freixenet Cordon Negro Cava (e8,- per bottle) mixes well with OJ to make mimosas, a traditional morning after drink.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cook's. Someone once told me it was originally made for cracking against the hulls of new ships. Not fit for human consumption. Apparently, the ship-launching market has shrunk enough for Cook's to decide that humans can, and indeed should, drink its swill.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of my Fraternity (no jokes please) brothers got married this summer and his wedding involved MANY cases of Gruet. It's not bad. I recall sitting by the pool drinking bottle after bottle as the sun set (that's about all I recall). I even brought a bottle back with me. It's surprising to find that you can actually get a decent sparkling wine out of New Mexico.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I suppose this might be an appropriate time of year to try Death in the Afternoon again.

I gotta say, I tried it once using a Spanish cava (demi-sec) and Segarra, and I found it dreadful, acidic and flavorless, a waste of both the wine and the absinthe. The cava seemed to dull the flavors in the Segarra without really adding anything except a sort of bubbly mushiness.

Is this really just a glorified drink to get wasted on?

What I have found really nice lately: Segarra served neat in a tulip glass like brandy, or with an equal part of a young fine cognac, along with a glass of ice water.
String
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My everyday brand is Gruet. My wife is mad about demi-secs and we have been trying them all. So far our favorite is the Schamsberg Cremant.
Happy New Year
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lanson's Noble Cuvée Blanc de Blancs, Perrier-Jouet, G.H. Mumm, and of course, Cuvée Dom Perignon.

Good book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/189126706X/bacchuscellarsin/104-9611992-5095104

I aint "G" enough for the Moet!

I don't think the "G's" even like the Cristal for Cristal...just that it costs too much (I guess that makes it good)
Drinkslinger
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's just about New years and I think we need a discussion of Champagne and sparkling wines.

For everyday consumption I like Roederers' NV, Veuve Cliquot (yellow -lab)NV, and Piper-Heidsieck Brut NV.
For the special occasion you can't beat the Veuve Grand Damn and The ole' Dom Perignon.

I'm not "G" enough for Cristal.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page