Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through December 26, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Joe Strummer Dead » Archive through December 26, 2002 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trainer,

'London Calling' was a great, well polished rock album packed with good songs but it is an album without rough edges. The Clash had gone past their rebellious, glory days when it was released. 'London Calling' was an album of a great rock band, but a band that had now become part of the musical mainstream.

I'm not knocking them or the album but if a band is good, it will become comercially successful and become mainstream. The music becomes the main focus and the band's purpose is changed. As their original purpose was not to produce music, punk bands (and punk rock) by their nature had a very short shelf life. The good ones would become mainstream and the bad ones would disappear.

The Clash's original album 'The Clash' (particularly the earlier UK released version) is where all their revolution and rebellion is to be found. You are right in saying that it was all to do with time and 'The Clash' is a real snap shot of 1997, young, white, unemployed London which was what the Clash was all about.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pat -

That's why I mentioned sounding like homeless guys. It was in a show I saw a couple of weeks back on punk music. VH1 or MTV2 or somewhere.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"it sounds like a few homeless guys making noise to me"

Er, they were homeless. Strummer, anyway, was still a squatter at that time.

"Strummer was essentially incoherent"

I remember my granddaddy used to say the same thing whenever he heard Rock'n'Roll.

"Wonder what he was on?"

Speed.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I downloaded the live at the Palladium recording thru WinMX . . . Now I shall don my flame-retardant clothing and say:

Perhaps the idolatry evidenced here has more to do with the time in which the Clash were performing, because it sounds like a few homeless guys making noise to me. Strummer was essentially incoherent during the performance; I could understand only the phrase, "London Calling" for that entire song, for example. Wonder what he was on?

Granted, the London Calling album has something to it, but I can't say as I heard anything particularly profound or revolutionary. Perhaps because it's all been done to death by now.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Let me tell you 'bout Wayne,
Who deals in cocaine,
A little more everyday,
Holding for a friend till the band do well,
Then the D.E.A. locked him away.

Clang clang, go the jail guitar doors
Bang bang, go the boots on the floor
Cry cry, for your lonely mother's son
Clang clang, go the jail guitar doors"

- Joe Strummer
Uncle
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ya should scrap McGowen& Strummer, 'nd listen to Mr. Wayne Kramer! His live like a motherfucker CD is great! And the MC-5 is ,well the fuckin MC5!Na-na-na na-na-na .....
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shane was born on Xmas Day '57. Remember that tomorrow and drink your breakfast.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto"
is my favorite James Brown Christmas tune.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

not withstanding the smack habit that consumed him for 15 years, his performances were always stellar.

the worst show I ever saw, in the early 80's, was the Pop-O-Pies ... they did "truckin'" for 40 minutes, could barely stand, and puked twice over the edge of the stage. most of the audience was gone by the end of the show.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well, the last time I saw MacGowan he was in the Pogues.

Nick Cave has been fit as a fiddle at every live performance I've seen. That includes seeing him in The Birthday Party in NYC on 3 different occasions.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

And you can add Nick Cave, and every other drunken, fucked up and/or dead rock star.

Every time I've seen Nick Cave, he's at least been together enough to remember the lyrics to his songs, which is more than I can say for Shane. Actually, when I saw Nick this year, he looked almost hale and vigorous. For a cadaver, anyway.

I adore Shane MacGowan. The Pogues haven't been the Pogues without him (but the Popes aren't the Pogues WITH him, either). I just wouldn't want to be in a band with him, especially if my livelyhood depended on him.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last

He sure knew how to wish someone a Merry Christmas.

Season's greeting to you Louchey!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hobby,
I agree wholeheartedly w/what you say.

Kirsty McColl's death was horrible, especially since she was on holiday and it happened in front of her kids.

I'll have to dig out Fairytale of New York today (as it's the only day we listen to Xmas music here @ Louchey Manor. I'll pop it in right before Santa's Got a Brand New Bag by James Brown).

Happy Christmas to you Lord H.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Louche,

Getting plastered features pretty regularly in his songs, but I suppose you write about what you do (half of Velvet Underground's songs were about heroin).

Anyway Shane McGowan can write and perform great songs. In my opinion the best Christmas song of all time was definitely Fairytale of New York. His rough booze sodden voice balanced with Kirsty McColl's sweet tones worked perfectly. The death of Kirsty McColl was a sad loss, she seemed so Irish even though she wasn't.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The 5 times I've seen God, er, the Shaneshite, he made it through no problem. Now he just doesn't show up at all if he doesn't feel like it.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shane ain't been w/the Pouges for over a decade Marcykins. And there music sucks because of it.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Part of the entertainment value in seeing the Pogues live, is whether Shane will make it through
the whole concert. Its a minstrel show for drunks.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice little tune there Headly!

Hobby,
I don't think it's Shane that makes the big deal outtah his habits-it's the press.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The difference between Shane McGowan and Keith Richards (and countless others) is that Shane made too big a thing about his self-abuse. If you want to drink yourself to death (and I'm sure McGowan will) then big deal. Just do it without making a song and dance about it. Millions of people do it, so what?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually I think Disco Bob
moved from Ann Arbor to high
fallotin LA or New Mexico or
somewhere.

Didn't Alice Cooper move to
Arizona?

Ted and George Clinton are
practically neighbors here.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

excuse me while I clear my throat...

My Favorite Rock Star Things

Tantrums Axyl Roses and groupie sex kittens
Rondstadt and Neville and songs they aint written
Young girls like Brittany who think they can sing
These are a few of my favorite Rock Star things

Cream gigs at Shonies and Crispin Glovers poodle
The Doors rock the bells and Jim pulls his wet noodle
Earthbound Pink misfits with ice on their wings

Devils in blue dresses and Kinghts in white satin
Cocaine that goes up your nose and sounds latin
Silver white Winters with Frankenstein springs

When the Shane shites
When old Sting sings
When Jacko is a BAAAD
Into the rolodex for favorite Rock Star things
And then I don't feel so sad
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marcykins sez:

Quote:

I don't give a shit how fine a poet he is, ultimately the motherfucker is a pathetic loser.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have it backwards?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And, he's a Mitten Man!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only rock star I worship
is Bob Seger. He's clean, accepted,
loved by middle aged mothers and
is an incredible commercial success.

Like A ROCK!!!
Admin
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and if Shane is a pathetic loser (and I kinda believe he is, in that particular sense) then so is the aforementioned Keith Richards. And you can add Nick Cave, and every other drunken, fucked up and/or dead rock star.

and I love them all. Despite their sometime inability to fulfill their rock star duties.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page