Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I've finally gone over to the Dark Si...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » I've finally gone over to the Dark Side ... « Previous Next »

Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc
Username: Bjacques

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The big question is which platform will lock out your mp3s first.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 307

Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a big fan of the Shuttle SFF cases.

shuttle AMD. They make em for P4 and celeron too!
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Masqued Reveler (Nolamour)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Nolamour

Post Number: 667

Posted on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now, that is a translucent problem, isn't it...

Why in the hell would he even care about this...I'm happy with my gun metal BLACK case, keys, monitor, mouse, etc.

My laptop (Inspiron) is two toned...Hawiian blue and black. About 6 months after purchase, I saw that the next version went back to the flat black. I've never seen another laptop like the one I have...personally. Nothing wrong with its workability - I can even watch DVD's on the plane! hehe.
Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1039

Posted on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've gone over to the dark side, and Gates has finally seen the light:

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,58745,00.html

(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAA!)

And in case you missed it, THIS is a PC. HAAHAHAHAAAHA!

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1035

Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm such a geek.

I'm glad you are too ...

(I gotta link these guys who make these icons. look for it in the footer soon)

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 665

Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll get you Lord Vader!

(me likey the new clipart)
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1034

Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1028

Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

its weird. Both the Mac and Amiga OS' I felt a strange affection for. Even its quirks and faults. I never felt that for windows.

But XP so far is awesome, I have pro at work and regular style at home. It amazingly doesn't suck the way windows always did (to me) and delivers a very stable intuitive system ...

I would have liked to have OSX on a nice jacked up G4, the unix aspect of it I would have totally geeked out on.

But I will play my pirate game and be happy.

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 953

Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've always found the slavish devotion that Mac users feel towards Apple a little creepy. Over in the PC world, we vehemantly HATE most of the major players in the market and will turn on a manufacturer in a second if it ships a lousy build or doesn't update drivers fast enough.

Microsoft may be monopolistic, but Apple is monolithic.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 664

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhh...the age old war!

Kal, I have a similar configuration with my new Dell, but higher graphics card. I'm on my 5th - Still have them all...they still work well. (I run as many apps as I want at once - Win XP pro).

I started with PC, trained on Mac, even worked in a Mac environment, and faithfully run back and pat my PC on the back in gratitude.

Sorry, but that one big fat mouse button...how freakin annoying!

mac

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1027

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I don't "own" no software. Heh ... my investment is completely hardware based.

I'm having mac seperation anxiety though. I've joined the 75% ... waaaaah!!!

But that'll pass I guess. I've always used PC's for work...

Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 275

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Relatively recent Macs of a decent speed (mine is 2 years old, G4 867) which can run OS X are hard to beat, except in price. Mine has never crashed in OS X; it is much more solid than any flavor of Windoze. And if you own a lot of software (like I do) it would be very costly to switch platforms, even if the box only costs $700.

And Safari rules!
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 201

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome, I have your SUV outside waiting for you!

Darth Vader
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 122

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hehe i used to drink at the blue lamp for a while. and years ago before that i had friends who played there regularly. haven't been by there in over a year tho.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1024

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aw man. She's still hot. That's awesome.

Yeah, she was the uber geek poster girl of the early 90's.

So, when we hookin' up and goin' to a show? Hehe.

Karl (Raschied)
le Duc

Post Number: 304

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kiki is now doing backup vocals for Warp 11. They just did a show at the Blue Lamp down in SF.

www.warp11.com

www.warp11bb.com

Kiki as Fekhlar, with KM and Mugatu

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Just don't drive him too hard."

VROOOOOOOOM!!!

I just tossed my last Amiga from my storage unit. I've been lugging it around since 95 when I got my first Mac.

If I had the expendable cash to invest in the new OS I would do so, I wouldn't mind the unix noodling goodness of OSX.

But this time I couldn't justify it, and I couldn't justify buying, yet again, the lowest end model.

This new system rips.

p.s. Kiki was HOT. I saw her do alot of demo's at computer and amiga shows. Star Trek TNG used the toaster for alot of its effects ... they apparently had a room full of amigas to do it, however.

ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1613

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kalladmin sez:
"I'd like to drive a hybrid too, but ..."
Oh, you are. Just don't drive him too hard.
Will work for absinthe.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc

Post Number: 303

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ahh.. The Amiga. Cleaning out a warehouse last month, I ran across a bunch of old Kitchen Syncs and Supergens from the Amiga. My old bosses created the Video Toaster for the Amiga. I still consider Kiki to be a good friend.
Before working there, I worked for Apple as a failure analysis person in the FATP facility.

I'm typing this on my homebuilt PC.

I hear that Macs on OS X are really stable, but you need new hardware typically to run it properly. Just like Win 95 was to PC's. I'd love to get one to edit on, but I can get a cool Shuttle case with integrated firewire, drives, memory, 2.4 GHz CPU for $800. Final Cut rocks, but not that much.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1018

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also, I threw in a copy of Tropico 2, a pirate sim game. There's whores, beers & bucaneers!

Um, so far it isn't available on the Mac, as usual.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned 4 macs and 2 amigas before that. I was firmly committed to the cause. but paying an extra $2000 for a political statement at this point is just out of my budget range.

I'd like to drive a hybrid too, but ...

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1017

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I do it all the time on a machine at work that has half the memory and the speed of my new home machine with no problem.

My mac was so buggy and crashy it was barely usable. I've spent the last year troubleshooting it, installing virgin systems, upgrading the OS and I just couldn't do anything for shit on it anymore.

Windows systems are now (and I stress the "now) far more stable than any mac I've ever had ...

Running multiple programs, I find, is just a matter of how much memory you have. If you don't have enough, then it crawls like a slug.

I do design and implementation for a living, so it's rare that I have less than 6 large programs open at any one time, and several windows for each.

Memory allocation isn't an issue for me anymore.

ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1610

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can you scream FREEZE!!!!!!!
Will work for absinthe.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 219

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just wait till you try and run more than 2 or three apps at the same time... you'll be digging your ole' mac outta the trash!
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1016

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

After 16 years of avoiding Microsoft I've finally given in. I just bought my first Windows PC.

What did it? Erm, well ...

2ghz processor, 512 ram, 80 gig hd & 64mb graphics card, and all the other fixens for $700.

And in comparison on the mac? Well, there isn't a comparison ... but you can get a 1.42 for $2699!!!

I'm sorry Macintosh! I've loved you long time ... *sniff* but I just can't afford those high priced whores anymore ...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page