Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 5, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Laudanum and fire ritual » Archive through May 5, 2003 « Previous Next »

George of the jungle (Absinthoman)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absinthoman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O (Dr_ordinaire) ,

I just want to grow poppies because it's a beautiful flower.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 951

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Actually, opium poppies (like the San Pedro cactus, which contains mescaline) are legal, as long as you do not intend to use them for anything illegal.

21 USCS Section 802 (1996)
B. SCHEDULE II.

(a) Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following substances whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
[...]
3.Opium poppy and poppy straw.

Basically, the way the law is written, any part of the opium poppy, except the seeds, is illegal to posess without proper licensing from the DEA. The DEA doesn't make a policy of arresting people for growing the plants unless they believe they are using them in the manufacture of drugs, BUT it is still illegal.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1023

Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My grandmother used to grow them until one day she caught me out back sticking them with pins to make the milk come out. She warned me that they were "poisonous" and the next week when I came back they were all gone.

She did the same thing when I stapled my finger when I was 5 ... I was maybe 16 before she let me touch another stapler.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Dr. O (Dr_ordinaire)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Dr_ordinaire

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"And, um, if you are planning on growing opium poppies, you really shouldn't advertize it publicly. Contrary to urban myth, it is NOT legal, at least in the US or Canada."

Actually, opium poppies (like the San Pedro cactus, which contains mescaline) are legal, as long as you do not intend to use them for anything illegal. Clear? Not to me.

By the way, SCORED opium poppies are definitily illegal.
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

that's called codeine boys!not codine
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 121

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"In Canada the sell, over the counter, aspirin called 222 (expensive brand name) or ACC (cheaper generic). It is a combination of aspirin, caffine and codine."

my migraine meds are a similar mix: tylenol, caffiene, and muscle relaxant
Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In Canada the sell, over the counter, aspirin called 222 (expensive brand name) or ACC (cheaper generic). It is a combination of aspirin, caffine and codine.

Works wonders. Knocks out all kinds of pain w/o the light-headed effects of the codine (damn caffine!).
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1614

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aspirin.
Will work for absinthe.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to agree with Blackjack. Opiates are still around because they are still the best for some uses.

Codiene is still the best cough suppressant around. It's probably the most versatile drug around, being useful in the treatment of both serious diarrhea and pain control. In a serious first aid kit when getting away from civiliztion, codiene will be the number one medicine to have with you, with a prescription of course.
Althea (Rosietwobears)
le Vicomte
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

morphine is itchy
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1612

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I put laudanum in my Eye Openers for special occasions-like before I chase the dragon.
Will work for absinthe.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or lookie here!

My booklist: http://www.sepulchritude.com/shop/absinthe-opium.html

The first two by Barbara Hodgson are awesome. They are by the same publisher as Conrad's books and so follow a similarly stunning format ...

Laudanum was used and abused for centuries as a general cure-all.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 950

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

theres better medicine available now

Yes and no. For severe pain there is still nothing better than opiates and opioids. We have improved on the basic concept, creating synthetic and semisynthetic version which are more active orally, which are longer acting, etc., but when push comes to shove, and somebody is in utterly unbearable pain, they still fall back on good old morphine.

Now, we do have better medicines for almost everything ELSE for which they used to use opiates, mostly because they used to use opiates for almost everything.

And, um, if you are planning on growing opium poppies, you really shouldn't advertize it publicly. Contrary to urban myth, it is NOT legal, at least in the US or Canada.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The reason why someone could have mixed absinthe and laudanum would be to mask the horrible taste of laudanum.

Those interested by laudanum should read Baudelaire's Artificial Paradises (Les paradis artificielles).
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 197

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I remember reading about the combination of laudanum and absinthe back in the old days. Some very famous people would only do it that way.
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for your help absinthe friends.I already knew what was laudanum.I'm starting some poppy plants for this summer.That's why I was questioning about this ritual.
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 463

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Traditionally it included saffron as well, which was supposed to have additional beneficial effects. It also made the stuff look and smell nicer.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 502

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's a good way to preserve home grown O, rather than drying it.
C'est ma santé
MC Pee Pants (Fluffy_g)
Mousquetaire
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 33

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Its an opiate. Does this still exist?"
It was used until around the early 1900's (I think) for stuff like dysentery and pain. It isn't carried in pharmacies anymore though (theres better medicine available now). As to if it still exists? Laudnum is just a tincture of opium poppies, so some herbal enthusiasts may use this stuff. I doubt there is much of a street market for it though.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The "ritual" that you witnessed is another bogus made up joke along the lines of the Czech fire and German inhale "rituals." It is stupidity such as this that continues to blacken the eye of absinthe and those who enjoy it.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Bd (Thesubletter)
Mousquetaire
Username: Thesubletter

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its an opiate. Does this still exist?
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do you know what Laudanum actually is George?
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The history of that ritual dates back to 2001 when the writer of the screenplay made it up.
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 501

Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No. You'd be better off using the Richard Pryor free base torch method. It gets you to the emergency room quicker.
C'est ma santé
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can someone talk me about the ritual in the movie from hell(absinthe thru the sugar cube+laudanum and letting it flame)?Is this a real old ritual?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page