Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Had a Great Time in Paris

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Had a Great Time in Paris « Previous Next »

Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 278

Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter and Sabine are wonderful hosts. Our evening with them (and Frenchman Phil) was definitely one of the highlights of our trip last year.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 210

Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Any jobs over there?
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 926
Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for sharing... I sooo miss Paris!

This city is magical (sometimes thanks to its magical citizens) !
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1030

Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Long time no vidi!

Awesome tale ... it's even in the classic peter style w/ no paragraphs (heee).

You make us wonderfully jealous. Glad you had the ultimate absinthe tour.

yarm!
A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Eric Mathew Przygocki (Eric)
Paysan
Username: Eric

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For the last three months I have been touring with a band called Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets. We recently got back from a month long tour of Europe, where I was very fortunate enough to have 4 days in Paris. I arrived early sunday evening and called Peter who just so happened to be on his way to an absinthe tasting at a book fair where they were having a presentation for the new book "UNE SI LONGUE ABSENCE". He asked if I would like to come along, so he met me at my hotel and we took the metro to the expo center where the book fair was held. Upon arriving we found a table with 5 different bottles of absinthe and a small crowd of people serving themselves. There was F Guy, Un Emile 45, Kubler, and two brands that I had not tasted before, Libertine and Abisinthe. These are the same brands that appear on the cover of the book. I think the Libertine had a lingering bitterness that I found interesting, I also found the Abisinthe to be very Tasty. Peter had also brought a flask containing Un Emile 68 Sapin, which I also had not yet tasted. We had a very pleasant time sipping absinthe and talking to some of the people. Not bad for my first night in Paris.
Monday night my Band played at a club called New Morning. Peter and I had a glass of Sapin before and after the show which I thought went pretty good. He invited me to come over to his apartment on tuesday to see his collection of antiques and to taste some things that I might find interesting.
At Peters place I met his wife Sabine, who had prepared a delicious plate of bread, cheese, and other snacks for us to have with our absinthe. We drank from small mominettes to help keep us from getting too intoxicated. First we tasted come commercial products, the new La Muse Verte 68% absinthe had a bit of a soapy taste but I did kind of like it. I tried a sample of the Un Emile La Blanche which may be my favorite of the Pernot products. I tried Pontarlier-Anis for the first time and found it to be very similar in flavor to the F Guy absinthe. He also had an obscure absinthe that was a blatant rip-off of F Guy that tasted suspiciously similar to the Pontarlier-Anis. The new Pernod distilled anis tasted good as well. I liked the sample of early post ban Pernod fils probably a little more than Peter did. Very interesting was an old bottle of post ban Oxygenee which had a distinct peppermint flavor. He even tried to fool me with a glass of Ouzo to see what I would say about it.
When Peter and I had arrived at his place there was a package waiting outside the door containing samples of three HGs which had been sent by an esteemed member of this forum. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. Two were vertes, and one blanche that was labeled "high test". Peter also had a small toppette that contained a homemade verte that was distilled by a friend of his that lives in Paris. All of these tasted wonderful, by this point my senses were overwhelmed. None of the commercial products can match the flavor or texture of these. In fact they all compared favorably to the bottle of Jade prototype that Ted had sent me two years ago.
If all of this wasn't amazing enough, Peter then pulled out a bottle of vintage C F Berger absinthe. He slyly asked if I would be interested in trying some. Oh Man! what a way to cap the evening. It was really cool to be able to taste the vintage after trying the younger HGs in comparison.
While we drank, Peter was kind enough to share some of his vast knowledge of absinthe history, antiques, and politics. I really would like to thank Peter and Sabine, who are both great folks for making me feel so welcome, and making my visit so memorable.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page