Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 11, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Ultimate driving morons » Archive through May 11, 2003 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 766

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought that the law in the US actually permitted drivers to pass using any lane. In the UK it is against the law to pass a vehicle on any inside lane (the left in our case) unless you are currently in an inside lane where the stream of trafic is going faster than the lane to your outside (it also follows legally that you drive in the inside lane unless you are overtaking). Personally, although most people tend to observe this with regard to passing (as regards keeping the far outside lane clear anyway), I believe the police should enforce this law more rigidly rather than always looking for speeders.

In the UK the speed limit on all motorways is 70mph. The police will usually not bother with you (except in some counties such as Cambridgeshire and the West Midlands) so long as you are not going above 80mph. Speeding up to 99mph gets a sppeding ticket and 3 penalty points on your licence (12 points and you get a driving ban and a big fine), points stay on your licence for 3 years. Get caught driving more than 30 mph over the speed limit (i.e. 100mph on motorways) and you automatically get a driving ban, court appearance and a big fine.

Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 312

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's a link to the safety study done while they had no speed limit. Looks like it was changed to 75MPH back in 1999. Bummer.

http://www.motorists.org/pressreleases/montana.html
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 311

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My favorite speed law was the one in Montana. I hear they changed it a few years ago, though.

There was a stretch of straight freeway where the "passing lane" law was enforced, and the speed limit was listed as "reasonable and prudent," in other words, don't drive like an asshole, but don't worry about how fast you are going.

The Highway patrol could cite you for exceeding the rating on your tires, weaving in and out of cars, etc. The fine for excessive speed was $5, payable on demand to the officer. People would keep five dollar bills tucked in the visor to pay off the officers. Really pissed them off, and they got the law changed.

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1705

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fact is, humans can obsess over anything. There is a weekly TV show here about model trains. WEEKLY! When we bought this house, I went to Barnes and Noble to see if there was a magazine about Victorian homes-There were 4 in the same genre (Victorian/"Period").
Because for most of us the basics are a given, we channel our focus into some other slot of our lives. I've got a collection of cocktail shakers. Who has more than one absinthe spoon? More like who doesn't.
Will work for absinthe.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 963

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

PS: The only ticket I've ever gotten was for doing 90 in a 55 zone. I was on my way to see my dying father, was actually driving my father's car, and unbeknownst to me, the registration was still in his wallet.

The only thing that kept me from going to jail, I suspect, was that and the officer was a bit confused to see a 200-pound punk brust into tears.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 962

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I believe you guys are subject to police helicopters checking you don't go over 50mph.

The limit on most highways is 55mph, BUT you won't get a ticket unless you are doing more than 65 or driving like an idiot. The speed limit on the DC Beltway is 55, but you have to break 75 for the plice to even notice.

On many interstates the limit is 65 or 70, and you won't get stopped for going under 80. In fact, on some stretches of I-95, if you go under 70, you'll be run down.

In some western states there are no limits on open highways.

But it isn't a question of driving FAST in an Eldorado. It's not a sports car. It's a luxury yacht. It's about being able to STRETCH OUT (try THAT in a Festiva), gliding smoothly at a leisurely pace, enjoying the road, and feeling the wind.

The fact that it has the largest engine ever put in a production car is just a bonus. If I want to merge in front of you, I WILL.

Europe is more sensible than we are in terms of the fast lane, though. Over here, people just lolly-gag along in the passing lane. And if that wasn't hazard enough, since people in the passing lane won't move over when a faster car is coming up from beind, people driving faster just weave back and forth between all lanes, making it DANGEROUS to try to give them way.

I've said it many times, we could save more lives by making it harder to get a drivers license than we could with any anti-crime laws.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 765

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK then whats the point in owning a fast car if you can only do 55mph and there's a helicopter flying overhead to see that the speed limit is enforced?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 764

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...public transportation, what's that?"

That is the real problem. People have no option but to use cars. We have the same problem in the UK (with the exception of inner London). I'd much rather use public transport if it was decent and reasonably priced. I work 15 miles away from home, just outside London, and its a fucking bummer when parties and nights out are organised around where I work. I can either drive and stay sober (which I hate) or I can get plastered and pay extortionate taxi fares (which my wallet hates).
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 512

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where the fuck do you get 50mph from? The limit ranges from 55-70 on our highways. Stick to touching your wood.
C'est ma santé
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 763

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"You've clearly never driven a '72 Eldorado."

But what's the bloody point when you guys get tickets for driving at over 50 mph? I can confidently drive my little 1.1lt Ford Fiesta at 90mph up and down our motorways and have not yet (touch wood) got a ticket. If I spot a, generally clearly marked, police car I slow down to a legal 70mph then back up to 90mph when they're out of sight (as do most other drivers). I believe you guys are subject to police helicopters checking you don't go over 50mph.

What is the point of owning a car that is capable of doing 150mph if you can only drive it at 50mph?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 958

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

A car is a motorised metal box useful for getting you from A to B, that's all.

It CAN be. One of my cars is exactly that. It is an efficient econo-box that runs like a top.

Look at it this way: clothes CAN be pieces of material that keep you from freezing to death. Or they can be snazzy Edwardian frock-coats, custom-made boots, leather motercycle jackets, etc. It's not just a matter of looking cool, or impressing other people. It's a matter of FUN. The clothes I wear to work I wear because they serve a purpose. The frock coats and leather jacket I wear because I ENJOY wearing them.

My OTHER car is the leather motercycle jacket varity.

quote:

A car does not rank alongside food and sex.

You've clearly never driven a '72 Eldorado.

Life would be pretty boring, don't you think, if we only limited ourselves to the necessary and the utilitarian? Many of the best things in life*, be it good food, flirtation, or, say, the absinthe ritual, are needlessly complicated.

A car can be a work of interactive art. I don't know any better way to describe it. There are few things in the world which give me more unadulterated joy than cruising around in my 400hp living-room set, on a warm summer night, listening to great music on the stereo.

___
* Not to mention to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women....
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 271

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wish i could walk to work, 8 miles is a little far to hoof it especially when you live in bummphuck like me.... public transportation, what's that?
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 220

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cars Really SUCK
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1691

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My piece of shit-mobile has a sprung a fresh leak of coolant from the nether regions. That, and the need of a new trabajo, make this an advantageous time to work w/in walking distance and junk the piece of crap.
Keep it on foot, keep it real.
Will work for absinthe.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 760

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sex is a basic urge enjoyed by man since the dawn of time, if it wasn't for the pleasure of sex there would be no procreation, there would be no human race. As for the taste of food we enjoy the taste of food because in nature, plants that taste nasty are usually poisonous, plants that taste good are usually wholesome. The enjoyment of tasty food is part of our natural survival instincts.

A car does not rank alongside food and sex. Food and sex are essential for man's existence, a car just makes travel a bit more convenient. I knew someone once who said that driving a fast car gave him a kind of sexual thrill. All I could think when he said that was 'sad git, he mustn't be getting laid enough'. I genuinely never did understand this (generally male) obsession with fast cars.

But if it turns you on then go ahead, turn the key and rev your engine.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 276

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Food is just a means of sustaining the body
Sex is just for procreation

Sure buddy.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 759

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A car is a motorised metal box useful for getting you from A to B, that's all.
Semi Gifted Amateur (Masque)
Mousquetaire
Username: Masque

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, at least red is the color of ... SATAN! Hopefully.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1679

Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You and you alone love either of your penises.
Will work for absinthe.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 262

Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love my little red penis extension. It makes the absinthe addiction seem cheap.
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 268

Posted on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my car sucks. calling it a piece of shit is being mean to a piece of shit.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1655

Posted on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Masque-ee-to,
I like #17 more than Sappy Emil.
Will work for absinthe.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1654

Posted on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cars suck.
Will work for absinthe.
Semi Gifted Amateur (Masque)
Mousquetaire
Username: Masque

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I got lucky. We were driving at about 0515 out in the middle of nowhere, and we hit black ice on a curve at about 50. There had been no signs of ice before that, but we were up in the hills. The ice shot us straight off the road sideways and into a 4 ft deep drainage ditch. Car popped up into the air, came down and rolled twice before stopping. We were so far off the road we had to wait until a car went by to find out which way the road was. We both walked out and walked the mile to the store up the road. My wife had a nasty cut on her knee, but as for serious injury, there was none...

Interesting side note- the state patrolman who investigated the accident hit the same patch we did, and almost ended up in the ditch as well.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1648

Posted on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cars suck.
Will work for absinthe.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page