Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 11, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » First Impressions... » Archive through May 11, 2003 « Previous Next »

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 259

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A fellow lost soul. Welcome! Just a little advise on the Emile Blanch. Put it into 2 bottles or a 1 gallon glass jug, open it every day then cap it and shake it viggerously for at least 3 days before you drink it. This gets rid of the "fishyness". Also use a good suger cube, I have started useing the natural brown Perruche suger. It adds a whole new dimension to your absinthe.
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
Christy (Audesapere)
Mousquetaire
Username: Audesapere

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HA! That's where it gets goofy. I DID leave my job. Worked at an 'undisclosed' St. Louis, MO brewery :-) and HATED it. Corporate America SUCKS. So I left. And now I do freelance graphic design out of my basement, and take care of the aforementioned borderline senile/stroke prone grandmother. No WONDER I needed the absinthe so badly! haha
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 253

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Am I goofy?

Naw, you are becoming one of us! Soon you may even leave your job.
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1726

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

#15b and #19 for me. Although I've only had a drippy-drop of #19. That's gonna change soon.
Thank your god I laid in a big order, Moon wise, before I got the axe.
Will work for absinthe.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1725

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are you goofy? Fuck it, we all are.
Will work for absinthe.
Christy (Audesapere)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, here's an update. I haven't opened the La Blanche yet. Haven't had a chance. And I didn't get a chance to sit back and enjoy any more of the Pernod since Thursday night. But I find myself sitting at the computer working and thinking about the taste of it. The bottles are sitting next to my computer (hidden in the basement - I have a wine loving borderline senile grandmother living with me, and I don't think I have the balls to explain to the doctor how she managed to mix her pills with a whole bottle of absinthe). So I have found myself pouring itsy bitsy tastes of the Pernod into my glass while I work. I must admit that I think I'm in love with the taste of pure unadulterated absinthe. While I enjoyed my second round of drinks the other night (after decreasing the quantity of water), I think my next go shall be quite a bit less diluted. I'm even thinking that a Pernod on the rocks would be just enough water to suit my taste buds. Am I goofy?
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 249

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The bitch or the 16?
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 515

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was a combination of drunk and paying more attention to my girl Asta than my drink. She's one fine bitch.
I did like the #16 quite a lot. Unfortunately it's the one I didn't order.
C'est ma santé
MC Pee Pants (Fluffy_g)
Mousquetaire
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can only imgine that der Cros would be completely sloshed after matching drink fer drink w/da liver.
I'd say that the #16 was by far my favorite. I'm still waiting to try the 18 and 19 though.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 934
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Except when you smashed the glass of #16 on the floor. "

He didn't like the #16 or was he just too drunk ?

(I would agree that #16 and #19 where some kind of strange "love or hate" experiments, I much prefer the other ones).
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 233

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most?

Yeah, some people havent perfected thier recipe yet!
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1711

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shit, der Cros, you were right there w/me. Lager for Lager and bar for bar.
Not to mention fairy squeeze for fairy squeeze.
Except when you smashed the glass of #16 on the floor.
OOPAH!!!!!!
Will work for absinthe.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1710

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most?
Will work for absinthe.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 226

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually most HGs blow away the commercial stuff.
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 513

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I sure gazed in wonder at his drinking habits.
C'est ma santé
Semi Gifted Amateur (Masque)
Mousquetaire
Username: Masque

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some of us haven't developed the palate yet. I still like it. We can only gaze in wonder at the HG drinking habits of.... the Liver.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1701

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jesus Christ. Can't it just taste good enough out the neck the bottle? Which the potion in question doesn't.
Will work for absinthe.
Bd (Thesubletter)
Mousquetaire
Username: Thesubletter

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got some versinthe la blanche recently, it has a peppermint taste to it. I think some torani chocolat de minthe would be good mixed in. I tried it with french vanilla last night. Yummy.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 221

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Icky sez:
"Watch out for that 68% Absinthe. You can drink it for several hours, and just when you say to yourself, "Hey I'm not feeling that drunk at all"... you wake up 6 hours later passed out on the couch."

Or you wake up face down in the keyboard!
Ich mag Senf auch!!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1692

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Icky sez:
"Watch out for that 68% Absinthe. You can drink it for several hours, and just when you say to yourself, "Hey I'm not feeling that drunk at all"... you wake up 6 hours later passed out on the couch."

Or my sofabed, we me and Cros pounding on the windows to wake yer sorry ass up.
Will work for absinthe.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 274

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another success story for Markus!
He really is the most amicable, and responsive vendor. Just don't talk politics!

If you decide to place another order I suggest you follow Zman's advice and check out LDF @ http://www.absintheonline.com Save your pennies and get a bottle of their Emile 68% and La Blanche... or even the Emile Sapin (It's good. but not a "traditional" tasting absinthe). If you order again from Markus try one of these selections- Kubler, Segarra, F.Guy or even the watery Emile 45%.

Watch out for that 68% Absinthe. You can drink it for several hours, and just when you say to yourself, "Hey I'm not feeling that drunk at all"... you wake up 6 hours later passed out on the couch.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1689

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Never, ever, ever leave a bottle unopened in the prescence of another. They get jealous.

And don't mix @ more than 4:1. Ya hear me!
Will work for absinthe.
Christy (Audesapere)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, so I poured another glass...hey, what could I do? That Pernod bottle was STARING at me!! I swear! Anyway, I poured it about 1:3. Mmmmm, yummy. I think it was just tooooo watery before. Hell, it tasted pretty damn good when I did my 'pinky test'.

philosophers laughed at them, the mob believed them, and justice ought to have hanged them
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to the world of Absinthe. It is always pleasant to hear someone describe their first taste of the green fairy. Try both of them. Don't bother waiting until one bottle is empty. Jump in! I would suggest for your next excursion you contact the fine folks at Liqueurs de France for some Un Emile 68. It is probably the closest to Belle Epoque vintage absinthe made today.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Christy (Audesapere)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I just received my first absinthe a few days ago. I ordered a Pernod 68 and a La Blanche from Markus. Wow, what a great guy! He answered every one of my stupid questions before I ordered, and I got my shipment REALLY quickly. And in tip top shape, I might add. Thanks, Markus!!

Anyway, as for my first impressions (Pernod):

I opened the bottle, and my first thought was hmmm...Nyquil? no - more interesting. Then I had the obligatory pinky taste. Mmmm. Very warm and wonderfully sweet and complex. So, I mixed 1:6 with 1 sugar cube (after licking the shot glass - HEY!, no one was watching...I checked.) I took my fuzzy creamy pale green concoction out to the patio, and sat reading some Marquis de Sade. Great reading, frightening beverage! I was a little overwhelmed at first by the taste. It was quite potent. But, I think that each sip made me like it a bit more. Well, after a few chapters and 2 glasses I thought I would be at least a bit tipsy - we are, after all, talking about some pretty leaded alcohol. No such luck. I felt just about the same as I did when I started. Maybe a little more deviant, but that was probably the book. Anyway, I think I just don't like all that water. Next time I'm cutting down to 1:4 or 1:3. I'd also like to find some interesting recipes for various drinks. I'm just wondering if I should wait til the Pernod's gone before I open the La Blanche. It could take me a while to get through the bottles, and I'd hate for them to go south on me....if they tend to do that.

philosophers laughed at them, the mob believed them, and justice ought to have hanged them

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page