Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Port Wine question

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Port Wine question « Previous Next »

2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 280

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i've never really ventured into tawnys... i've always prefered LBV's, i like the extra cask time they have over vintage.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 325

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only thing you have to do is open and drink.

I like that!!!
How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's a tawny; it doesn't need decanted it has already been filtered and fined so there is no sediment. You only have to do that with vintage, late bottled vintage, and crusted ports.

The only thing you have to do is open and drink. Maybe slightly chilled if you prefer, but not necesary.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1757

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

2LY!!!!!!!!!!!
Will work for absinthe.
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 273

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

also leave the bottle upright for several hours before decanting to make sure the sediment settles.
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 137

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

decanting it is the usual thing to do before drinking for two reasons: 1. it develops the character of the port more by letting it breathe thoroughly when pouring it from the bottle into the decanter/carafe/jug/whatever... and 2. there is often sediment that forms and this helps you to see when it's settled after decanting.

also, once you've opened a bottle, it's best to drink it straightaway.
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 575
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I may wait awhile before I open it. I "inherited" it from my father-in-law who is going on the wagon. We had to clean out all his liquor -- quite a haul. I should probably wait to make sure he doesn't decide to climb back on the wagon.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll try my best with the tasting notes, but my palate is uneducated. I like port, but I've never had much of it. What's the proper way to serve it? I'm supposed to let it breath quite awhile, right?

I would trade it for absinthe, though...
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 136

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

noval makes yummy tawny and reds, haven't had their 40 before though, and certainly not one sitting around for that long hehe. would like to hear some tasting notes when yer done

but yes, as for monetary values, it's the ones labelled "Vintage" generally. and they are also the ones that just get better with age in taste as well. i've got a Dow's vintage 1992 that i got for my 21st bday just waiting for a special ocassion... was going to open it on a certain 5th anniversary, but that has since become nil

hehe. for drinking a vintage, it's best to wait at least 8 years from the vintage year. don't ask me why, that's just what i know.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks. Down the hatch, then.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thats a tawny port. It's meant to be drunk soon after it's bottled. It's probably only bottled with a stopper cork and not a pull cork. It's not meant to be aged anymore after it's been bottled, so I doubt it has any more value than it did when it was purchsed, it might have even less. A new 40 year old tawny would set you back over a hundred bucks. It's vintage port that goes up in value, and it's according to the vintage year, the bottled year on your bottle is more so you know that it hasn't been sitting around to long, than it is an indication of quality, since it's a blended port from many different years.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I inherited a bottle of Noval port wine and I'm wondering it's worth. The front label says "Noval Over 40 Years Port" the back label says "...matured in wood over 40 years...bottled in 1986...". Unopened with wood case.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page