Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 18, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Home Made Revisited » Archive through May 18, 2003 « Previous Next »

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 372

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gee, and with a name like "nabber". I thought entrapment was illegal.
How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!

August Strindburg
Jefferson Brick (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 772

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What irritates me the most about Gabber is that he was told straight up that we don't talk about making absinthe here, but he persists in talking about it, while pretending he's not talking about it. Does he really think we're that stupid?
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 364

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Essential Oil alpha-Thujone % beta-Thujone % Total alpha & beta Reference
Cedar leaf 55.0 9.5 64.5 Pinto-Scognamiglio, 1967
Sage 28.3

55.17 Pinto-Scognamiglio, 1967
Farag et al., 1986

Tansy 19.4 58.0 77.4 Pinto-Scognamiglio, 1967
Wormwood 0.53-1.22 17.50-42.30 -- Lawrence, 1995
Thyme -- -- 0.2 Farag et al., 1986
Rosemary -- -- 4.17 Farag et al., 1986

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. Is this an absinthe song?
How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!

August Strindburg
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 319

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

.... or sage. Just be sure not to heat it past 80 deg. You might boil out all the psychodelic THUJONE !
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 363

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Only if you make it with absinthe. Hmmm I gotta try that!
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc

Post Number: 318

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is there Thujone in Ramen? Sweet!
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 357

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mmmmmm, stove top! My fav, that and Ramen Pride noodles.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1786

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, then no more Stove Top.
Will work for absinthe.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also want it legalized, or should I say deregulated since it's the FDA the prohibits its use. I thought about writing to my congressman explaining that wormwood was no different than sage, or terragon. But I thought better of it, because then they would have probably banned that also.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 341

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Legalize Absinthe! We Shall Overcome!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1773

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gabber,

Yo, man, Artie knows his shit in spades. And he's not the only one. I'm sure Ted's still lurking about. And there are many others. There is more knowledge about fairy squeezin's on this little board than probably anywhere else in the world. Fuck it, I'll step up and say it-Anywhere else in the world, no doubt. You wanna whip your dick out, be prepared to have it smacked. You wanna interact, then you'll get somewhere.

Me? I don't give a shit what ya do. I don't know anything, 'cept where to get what I want. Works for me.
Will work for absinthe.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 768

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

''Artemis you are so boring. You obviuosly underestimate the power of knowledge and experimenting.''

Nab, you are so funny that Moonman is laughing so loud it provoked an eclipse tonight.

Yes, yes. Nabgabber, look up "Artemis" some time and see if you find out anything about the moon. And check to see WHO provided the recipes you so boldly fail to understand.

The power of knowledge, indeed. You're hunting bears with a willow switch. You don't know a damned thing about what is modern absinthe, antique absinthe, or any other absinthe, you don't know how Un Emile is made, and you don't digest what you read. All this is okay, except when you come into this forum acting like you know something about these things. Asking questions and making ignorant assumptions isn't the same thing; THAT is why various people here are laughing at you and or telling you to fuck off.
And I may be boring, but I have forgotten more about ALL these things than you will ever know. And why am I not spoonfeeding you this knowledge? What makes you special? For that matter, what makes you average?
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire
Username: Nabber86

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Steep indeed, but nothing so complicated that it cant be overcome.

Nothing like a good challenge.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>"But don`t get discouraged, you`r at the beginning of a very interesting learning curve."

.....and a very steep curve too.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

''Artemis you are so boring. You obviuosly underestimate the power of knowledge and experimenting.''

Nab, you are so funny that Moonman is laughing so loud it provoked an eclipse tonight.

But don`t get discouraged, you`r at the beginning of a very interesting learning curve.

Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good point. As you guessed I may be a little loupy tonite, but I did have the mental capacity to at least try the petite first. Something about starting a tasting session with light wine/beers and working your way to heavier more robust varieties came to mind as I was walking out to the garden.

Also tried a some "mounded" wormwood (A. Vulgaris?) and a couple other varieites of common ornamental wormwood. Not real good.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc

Post Number: 313

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hope you munched the A. Pontica first. If you started with the A.Abs. you'd taste nothing afterwards. Blech! It gives a whole new meaning to the word "Bitter".
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, but I have already been raked over the coals for sugesting the "D" subject in my very first post. Let's just assume that SWIM might actually know a little something about that subject.

However, forum rules are forum rules. Not to mention the BATF.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Absinthe?? Just a mater of time. (Uh, flavoring that is, not distilling!)"

You will never get the flavor of a good authentic absinthe without distilling.
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You and Zman have provided some really decent insight on petite versus grand wormwood. I just ran outside and munched a couple of leaves of each variety, Voila! The grand is, as you both pointed out, much more bitter than the petite. Now we are getting somewhere. Now I have another week or two of experiments to try.

Thanks for helping.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1761

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And there it is, all layed out Blabber.
Thanks BJ.
Will work for absinthe.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 984

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I dont know all of the recipes that I have seen have pretty large amount of wormwood soaked post distaillation.

Ah, the Ordinairian Heresy.

Nabber, I won't get into the history of it, but you have made a common mistake. The Roman Wormwood used in the coloration step does NOT, or at least should not, impart any considerable degree of bitterness. Another forumite made the same error at one point, and defended the assumption using almost exactly the same words you have. And at least he was going to the trouble of distilling his own stuff first.

Soaking roman wormwood along with melissa, etc. in anisette will not give you anything resembling absinthe, because there is no grand wormwood involved. Soaking GRAND wormwood along with melissa, etc. in anisette will give you nothing resembling absinthe, because the bitterest chemicals from the grand wormwood (absinthins) will not be removed by distillation.

And since you seem to be interested in thujone: petite wormwood, which is the ONLY wormwood that is used in the coloration step, contains little or no thujone, so performing the coloration step on anisette won't give you any thujone.

If you really want to experiment with the coloration step, get a good bottle of La Bleue and work from there.

And I agree that we got a little hostile there, but you are covering ground we've been over many many times, and which is covered in the FAQ, I think...
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1760

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did ya scare 'im off?
Will work for absinthe.
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 276

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

piss and vinegar is flowing in the viens tonight!!!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1759

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

2LY!!!!!!!!
Will work for absinthe.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page