Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Montana

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Montana « Previous Next »

simon pedersen (Simon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Simon

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are no modern absentas available today that bear resemblance to their vintage counterparts as far as i have tasted.
Vintage Montana has an amber colour neat, fairly good white louche. It does not have much in the way of your typical Spanish 'lemon'taste and it tastes as though green anise has been used as opposed to star anise. If you have ever tried Terravill or Argenti then you'll get an idea of the old montana.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...which doesn`t mean it`s the same recipe since 1900...

Simon, have you tasted your vintage bottle ?
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think someone from Spirits Corner posted a little bit of information about Montana; it's been awhile so I don't remember much of what they wrote.

I think Montana has been in production longer than any other absinthe. I think it was also mentioned that after a few other countries banned absinthe most distilleries stopped producing it so Montana was at one time the only one producing it in Spain.
simon pedersen (Simon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Simon

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe Montana to be one of the original Spanish absenta's along with Argenti and Parerra.
I have a half size from the 20's and here's a full liter bottle from a friend which dates to around 1900vintage absenta
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 789

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Is there still some people around here enjoying it (for what it is) ?"

I have a couple of Montana minis in the cabinet. I don't want to open them, but if I did, I expect my estimation of them would agree with that of the Moonman's friend in every respect. It is not that the stuff has changed much, nor that there was snobbery at the beginning, but that we have gained an appreciation for what good qualities it does have, all of which Wolfgang named. I also have an unopened bottle of Lasala in the root cellar. It has the virtue of being a nice BIG bottle - it looks like a giant bottle compared to the pitifully foreshortened things most people sell. And the price is very good for what it is -too bad the shipping makes it ridiculous. I should add that herbally speaking, from what I remember of Lasala, it certainly seems to do the trick.

"Do we know anything about this distillery (I believe it is a very old one is it not) ?"

I don't know anything about it, myself.

Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1937

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the sewer.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 364

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Those spansh oil mixes sure do mellow with age.
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 147

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess it's the same with Lasala. Also not too bad and a reasonable price...
Markus
www.LaFeeVerte.de
I like mustard (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3467

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Umm... I am standing in an entire
kitchen full of Commercial Spanish
Absinthes, some of which are over 2
and 3 years old.

Lemme tell ya... They DO NOT get better
with age. Not Montana, Not DEVA, Not Lasala.
As fine as they may or may not be.

The KING, however, is actually eating
through the glass bottle. It's trying
to escape!!!!

Serpis is great from start
to finish at any age.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1931

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lemme guess, "his" initials are-PataCaker.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a, umm, friend, who just put Lasala in his order along with the good stuff because I, er, *he* thought it might be something nice and cheap to guzzle this summer, and for old times sake. Emile, Spanish, Pastis, they all have their place. I, er, *he* still prefers any of those over, say, Scotch.
MH (Amindwalker)
Mousquetaire
Username: Amindwalker

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a very similar experience about six months ago. When I had originally tasted it, it seemed to be in the same class as Deva, but upon revisiting, I was shocked to taste how good it was. It also appeared to be very potent herbally. Now it's all gone but I do plan another purchase. It's definitely my favorite Spanish brand.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 947
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, here`s a surprising post from someone who`s a friend of Moonman...

Today I found an half full mini bottle of Montana absenta I bought maybe a year ago. I had to taste it again out of curiosity.

To my surprise it was not as bad as I expected. Fresh, a bit lemony, almost dry (not too sweet) and not too strong on anis compared to many other Spanish absinthes. Unfortunately I felt the typical numbing bite of star anis but it is not as strong as in some other absenta.

Could it be that it got better with time or was I just too snob when I did my first review about a year ago ?

The lemony side is a bit odd but with lots of ice cubes on a sunny Spanish day, it must be a nice cheap refreshing drink to have , even if it is a bit ''bland'' as Artemis said in his (very old) review in the guide. At least it is not as oily and sticky as many other cheap brands.

Understand me well, I`m not saying it is a good absinthe but at 13.22 Euros per 1L bottle (before shipping), it is hard to beat. At that price and even a bit more, I would definitely keep a bottle around for drunken ends of parties. Of course the shipping cost waste it all but it is still one of the least expensive product out there.

Now my questions :

Is there still some people around here enjoying it (for what it is) ?

Do we know anything about this distillery (I believe it is a very old one is it not) ?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page