Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 30, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Foutains and such » Archive through May 30, 2003 « Previous Next »

Turd Ferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 28

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I remember reading a few articles a while back about how tap water really isn't as bad as people say. I wonder, if a lifetime of drinking tap water can cause bladder cancer, how come I've never met anyone who has had it? Has anyone?

And if I can offer my input on this thread's topic:

Faust, you're foutain looks interesting, but I don't think you'll have much luck selling it to the "absinthe community." I may be a newbie, but I've learned that there's a bit of nostalgia involved in drinking absinthe, and there's not much interest in new age, non-traditional products.

Case in point: did anyone buy those bulbous reservoir glasses from Alandia.de and feeverte.de?
Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba B-
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1009

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Last time I checked, "table" salt was sodium chloride, not chlorine.

Which is a salt of sodium and chlorine, which your body breaks down in order to make stomach acid (NaCl + H2O + CO2 = HCl + NaHCO3).

quote:

Yes, I know it's a miracle I've never contracted either of those from the bottled water I've been drinking for ten years

Well, no, it isn't, for the obvious reason that bottled water is purified one way or another. Chlorination is just the best method we have right now fow purifying water on a large scale. The very smll risk it poses is far outweighed by the benefits of being able to distribute water over great distances. If EVERYBODY had to rely on bottled water, it would be ridiculaously costly.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that chlorinated water in areas whose primary water source is a river do tend to end up with higher levels of trihalomethanes, because of the greater concentration of organic compounds in the water to react with the chlorine. It is the THM's which are thought to be associated with an increaded risk of bladder cancer, so I guess it depends on where you live. If Ted is paying attention, I'm sure he knows far far more about this than I do, and can feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.

If you don't like the smell, though, that's reason enough for me. I'll even accept "fish fuck in it". But drinking chlorinated water is a TINY risk, compared with, say, driving a car or drinking alcohol (let alone doing both at the same time!).
Darrin, Stalker of Head (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 916
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ass reminds me of Head. In a good, horny way, not in a nasty, jackass way.

Why can't she add a little pump bulb to get the water flowing WITHOUT tippage?

Or, put her mouth over the water-in spout and blow hard to pressurize the globe.

Better yet, how about an airtight one-way seal. She puts the water in, then closes the seal. No air can go out, but it can go in. Then she sets her glass upon a stand which is actually a lever operating a small bellows to pressurize the globe. Water flows. Once there is a vacuum in the globe, the one-way valve opens, letting air in. Perhaps the air flow operates a bird call, making a little birdie sculpture appear to sing the praises of absinthe.

Now . . . how do we STOP it . . . Unless, of course, we use a more substantial bellows, in which case the seal would be a two-way seal. Air would only enter when the bellows was compressed, so taking a glass off would stop the flow (as removing the weight of the glass would also release a valve to prevent air entering the globe) . . . until another glass was placed on the bellows.

Then we just need to add a venturi and a water organ and it can be a full Renaissance experience. Pre-absinthe, but what the heck.
He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.

-- Thus Spake Zoboomafoo
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ass reminds me of wormwood.
I like mustard (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3483

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tap water is ass.

I don't care what
municiple tit you're
nursing from. Tap water
tastes like pipes. Pipes
remind me of intestines.
Intestines remind me of ass.

To me tap water is ASS.

I like mustard (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3482

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pool water
made little head's
eye burn.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1989

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.realgoods.com
All kinds of ecofriendly, "clean" water bullshit.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1988

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is the sound of one hand lathering?
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Turd Ferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is that a koan, Liver?
Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba B-
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 180

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you can actually buy filters for your showerheads to remove chlorine and nasty shit from the water. i used to have a bunch of catalogues with all kinds of that stuff. can't remember the names of any of them, but they had those, drinking water filters, air filters, different anti-allergen stuff, hypoallergenic bedstuffs, composting equipment, solar power equipment, etc.

some of it was decently priced too
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1987

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sometimes water is just a towel.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 799

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Before Blackjack points it out, it isnít lost upon me that most of the anti-chlorine websites you can find are put up by vendors of bottled water. Nor is it lost upon me that the pro-chlorine websites fail to mention the possible hazards of chlorine at all.

It was years ago, when I first ventured outside the Bayou Country, where, as Jay points out, the water is dosed with chlorine enough to fry the hairs in your nostrils, that I noticed that water is available for drinking that doesn't have that nasty CHEMICAL smell. I reached the intuitive conclusion that such NATURAL smelling water was a step in the right direction, and I didnít want to drink water dosed with chlorine any more. Seeing the considerable anti-chlorine evidence on the Internet much later was just icing on the cake.

As for the shower argument, that is specious. If the day comes that I am able to control sufficient chlorine-free water at reasonable cost to avoid bathing in it as well as avoid drinking it, I will do so. In the interim, I make some choices and some compromises. Not bathing is not an option for me, but I do limit the time Iím in the shower. Not DRINKING chlorine is relatively easy and cost-efficient for me to do, and so I do that. I can think of absolutely no reason I should regret that choice no matter how I look at it.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 798

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.morefromlife.com/chlorine.html

http://www.monitor.net/rachel/r84.html

There are a lot more. Of course, you can find sites put up by the council for the consumption of chlorine that say it's better for you than the dust of the Grand Wazoo, and will cure your asthma too. The smell alone tells me it's not something I want to drink.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 797

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"You don't eat salt?"

Last time I checked, "table" salt was sodium chloride, not chlorine.

"I'll still take that over cholera an E. coli..."

Yes, I know it's a miracle I've never contracted either of those from the bottled water I've been drinking for ten years, but I'll continue rolling the dice.

We've had this discussion here before; even the chemists weighed in. If they couldn't convince me, it's not likely you're going to do it.

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1008

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I don't intake chlorine in any form; it's poison.

You don't eat salt? You have to have SOME chlorine intake (usually in the form of NaCl) in order to, among other things, produce stomach acid (HCl), and provide for neurotransmission. Something on the order of 750mg/day, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, you are going to absorb just as much chlorine inhaling steam in the shower as you are from drinking water, possilby much more.

Sure, it's a poison if you take in enough of it, but that is true of nearly everything. The real problem is the trihalomethanes produced by the chlorine anyway, not the chlorine itself, and I'll still take that over cholera an E. coli...
silky slim (Sancho)
Mousquetaire
Username: Sancho

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

slightly modded?

swap out the cheapie plastic faucets for decent ones?

or did you just put it on a little stand to make it taller?
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 292

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I prefer my slightly modded small Versinthe fountain........with the massive amount of chlorine in our local swamp water, the sink is not an option here.
With the recent addition of the new small Absinthe fountains available, it's hard to beat them for utility.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1979

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You gotta sink, Baby, you got a fountain.

Run the water until it's cold as can be.
Set the drip rate.
Use your cube (sugar).
Use your cube (ice).
Hi, what're ya havin'?
steena faustus (Faustus)
Paysan
Username: Faustus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As for the sink, does this one count:
"I live in New Jersey"

As for tipping the globe, you're all correct about it not starting properly. Some sort of mechanism would have to be used, or the design altered. Oh well. Flush those brain cells.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 795

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Once again.
Do you have a sink in your kitchen?"

Thricer is nicer:

I don't drink water with chlorine in it.
I don't intake chlorine in any form; it's poison.
I don't drink yellowish water (100-year old house; rusty pipes).
I don't drink absinthe with tepid water in any case.
I haven't drunk water out of a sink in well over ten years. If I ever think about contracting bladder cancer, I may reconsider.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 794

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You get an "A" for a cool idea, but an "F" for a workable patent idea. You would have to draw a siphon in the straw to get the water started, or tilt the globe severely. Any tilting of the globe means the straw is going to descend toward your glass, jousting with your sugar cube and spoon, etc.

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1978

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Once again.
Do you have a sink in your kitchen?
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 597

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You could also have the glass blower make you a matching Silly Straw for drinking your absinthe.
C'est ma santť
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Turning the whole container to get it started, and to stop it would make a mess. And you could only start it up that way if it was mostly full. Otherwise you would have to suck the end to get it started.

So it seems very impractical, when you could just put the tube at the bottom and use a valve to start and stop it like all other fountains.

Simple glass blowing isn't hard to learn, give it a try.
steena faustus (Faustus)
Paysan
Username: Faustus

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello everyone.
I don't have a foutain, so I usually just try to drip water out of a carafe. Of course, this is difficult, and often makes a mess. I tried something a little different yesterday, which gave me an idea. I used a bent glass tube to drip water out of a glass placed on a bunch of books, using gravity to siphon the water out. Depending on the angle that I held the tube, I could adjust the water from a steady stream, to just a few drops.

Now... I think if you had some experience with glass blowing (I have none, unfortunately), you could make a very decorative, yet functional sort of fountain.

Hopefully the pic comes up...
It is basically a glass globe, with a spout for filling with water. A glass tube extends to near the bottom of the globe. It comes out, and extends down below the bottom of the globe. It is in a spiral in my picture. It could be any sort of design. The thing that looks like a hockey puck is a circular rubber stand which holds the globe. You can tilt the globe on the stand to increase/decrease and stop/start the flow of water.

Fountain drawing

Anyway, enough musings. Prolly just killed my patent app.

F.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page