Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 6, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » ...even more Ebay stupidity. » Archive through June 6, 2003 « Previous Next »

Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte
Username: Nabber86

Post Number: 59

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"While I was working on the car........"

You working on a car? That's a laugh. Careful you could start a fire or even kill yourself. You should only leave that up to trained professionals. You have gasoline, pinch points, fan blades, possibly heavy equipment involved.

"I got to thinking"
What the hell were you thinking anyway? You could put your eye out or something! Anyway, it is obvious that you werent thinking much at all. It is perfectly safe to run an internal combustion engine in your livingroom. All you need is two things. Proper ventilation and a good carbon monoxide detector. Both of which can be purchased at Walmart for less the 50 bucks

For such an elightened and knowlegeble group of people, it it amazing how some of you cant think a simple problem through.

Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 604

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How often do you have to service the catalytic converter on that set up?
C'est ma santé
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1074

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

watch it, buddy.

festiva pride!

heeeheee!
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1016

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

While I was working on the car, I got to thinking. Certainly, an internal combustion engine is more dangerous than a still, since, in addition to volitile vapors under pressure and heat, there are actual explosions involved. And while I would never run an internal combustion engine in my house, I wouldn't think twice about running one in my yard or garage (if I had either...man, I wish I had a garage...)

On the other hand, my engine was designed by trained engineers and assembled out of iron and steel by experienced people. I would not try to make my own internal combustion engine out of pyrex, plumbing supplies, or converted kitchen equipment.

If I wanted that, I could buy a Ford Festiva...
Turd Ferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 34

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Now don't make fun of my name or that wonderful senator anymore."

I know who you are, Strom! You're Trent Lott!

Don't you think it's unwise for a senator to be discussing bootlegging? Oh well, you're reputation's already in the toilet after you were forced to step down as minority leader.

So how about making Absinthe legal? While you're at it, legalize marijuana too.
Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba B-
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2004

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SomeTurdMind sez:
"Yeah LL, I still don't know how to spell badmiten but I can play a mean game. Even if I'm drunk and the birdie is on fire. Now don't make fun of my name or that wonderful senator anymore."
I gotcha, Sport! Let's have a match then, tough guy. The Mayor's yard, anytime. Anything in the birdbath is in play.

Hi, what're ya havin'?
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 58

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well I hear you now!

I will behave.

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1072

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The topic was not banned because it was "dangerous" but because it might land some of our friends here in trouble with the revenue men.

But yes, "you'll put yer eye out!" is reason #1 for cautioning against it. Just not the excuse for limiting such discussions here.

Remember that. LIMIT THE DISCUSSION.

Thank you.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ya know, this whole line of reasoning is starting to scare me a little. It is counterproductive and is exactly what is not needed. Allow me to elaborate.

The basic argument goes something like this: The D process is dangerous. You could start a fire or even kill yourself. Therefore the process should not be discussed. In fact the discussion of such should be completely banned.

Now lets have a little fun with word replacement.

1) Absinthe is dangerous. It contains alcohol. Alcohol causes alcoholism. You could start a fire or even kill yourself. Therefore Absinthe should not be discussed. In fact Absinthe should be completely banned.

2) Pot is dangerous. It is a drug that is the first step in a path leading to heroin addiction. You could start a fire or even kill yourself. Therefore marijuana reform should not be discussed. In fact, all those hippie medical marijuana users should be rounded up and put in prison.

3) Drinking is dangerous. It leads to drunken driving. You could start a fire or even kill yourself. Therefore drinking should not be discussed. In fact all alcohol should be banned – back to prohibition.

Can you hear me now?
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 56

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, you are being an asshole. But that's OK, so can I.

"You still don't get it. None of that stuff will keep you safe if you don't use your brains....."

Well I was assumming that if you employed the entire list of safety precautions (especially the nitrogen purging system), you probably have enough brain power to figure out the process in question. You pretty much stated the obvious - know what the hell you are doing. Good advice. I should have put that at the top of the list.

Also you need to work on your powers of reasoning and logic a little. A little earlier down the thread you made the following statement:

"I don't know how hard you can safely bite a blasting cap. I don't even know how fast my car will go when I'm drunk. I guess I'm just ignorant that way."

Just because you are ignorant, doesnt mean everybody else is. There are no legitimate reasons for biting down on a blasting cap or drunk driving yet you are equating that to a process that has hundreds of useful purposes and can be carried out safely if one has proper knowlege and follows standard safety procedures (but not at home, because that may land you in jail). Your analogy is ludicrous.
Strom Thurmond (Mogan_david)
le Duc
Username: Mogan_david

Post Number: 299

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Many dangers can be mitigated with the proper equipment. A good fire extinguisher, full face shield, leather apron, proper ventilation, asbestos gloves (just dont breath the fibers), eyewash station, emergency nitrogen purging system, heating mantle rather than a bunson burner. The list goes on and on.....

You still don't get it. None of that stuff will keep you safe if you don't use your brains. Maybe I'm just an asshole, but it's better I blow up at you guys that your equipment.

Expand is what mercury does in a thermometer when it gets hot. We are talking about boiling here which is more agitation than expansion. If you take a straw and blow in your soda did it expand? You still need a bigger cup to hold that coke than you did before you started blowing.

Yeah LL, I still don't know how to spell badmiten but I can play a mean game. Even if I'm drunk and the birdie is on fire. Now don't make fun of my name or that wonderful senator anymore.

Congradulations Kallisti and Head.
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 55

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Many dangers can be mitigated with the proper equipment. A good fire extinguisher, full face shield, leather apron, proper ventilation, asbestos gloves (just dont breath the fibers), eyewash station, emergency nitrogen purging system, heating mantle rather than a bunson burner. The list goes on and on.....
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Labware is one of those vertical markets. You can get a $25 condensing column, or a $300 condensning column. Guess which one is better.

If you are desperate to learn how distillation works, you might want to try with something like water. That way you only have to worry about horrible steam burns, and not explosive vapors.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 806

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The straight answer:

The stuff on that site is SOME of the TYPE of components used in a laboratory for any number of operations that COULD include distillation.

The quality of those particular materials is anybody's guess. For the price asked, you can correctly guess that they're CHEAPLY made. Good quality labware is not cheap, and of course, not cheaply made.

If you don't have practical and safety training in a chemistry lab, you shouldn't be messing with that stuff. You need all the safety barriers you can get, and cheap materials and rudimentary instructions don't fall under that heading.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always thought it was "bad mitten"
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2003

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Strummin'his Hardon sez:
"There a lot of things I don't fully comprehend."
Like how to spell badminton. A fine and noble sport.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"There a lot of things I don't fully comprehend. I don't know much about boiling volitile liquids in glass containers. I don't know how hard you can safely bite a blasting cap. I don't even know how fast my car will go when I'm drunk. I guess I'm just ignorant that way. "

Strom,your answers are 6 psi and 98mph in a 20 mph zone, with light traffic, assuming you drive a rice-burner. If american, 110. Amazingly, your car will go the same speed with a drunk driver vs sober, it just seems that you are going much faster! Great when plowing over stop signs, mail boxes, drunks walking home from the bars....
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
steena faustus (Faustus)
Mousquetaire
Username: Faustus

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Strom,
Is "expand" too soft a word? My deepest apologies. I don't understand why it is a big deal.

*shrugs*
le Duc

Post Number: 298

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fastus,

Expand? I'm just saying the little bubbles need somewhere to go. For the love of God haven't you boiled water before?
le Duc

Post Number: 297

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

If you check out technical specifications for each type of flask, you will see that they are made for two completley different applications. But then again, that might involve some knowlege that you dont fully comprehend, so it or may not do any good.

There a lot of things I don't fully comprehend. I don't know much about boiling volitile liquids in glass containers. I don't know how hard you can safely bite a blasting cap. I don't even know how fast my car will go when I'm drunk. I guess I'm just ignorant that way.
steena faustus (Faustus)
Mousquetaire
Username: Faustus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote: "Let me spell it out for you. If you boil 1 liter of water in a 1 liter flask it will boil over!!"

Hrm. Actually, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote: "even if you have 1 liter, and collect less than a liter, that liter of liquid is going to expand as it is heated."

I didn't follow through with the statement, "once it expands, it boils over." :P
Turd Ferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Finally! I get some legitimate answers! Thank you Nabber and Faustus.

And Strom, your safety tips were helpful as well, but that won't keep me from asking questions.

I see that website get torn up a lot, and I wanted to know if it was because of reasons other than legalaty and safety.
Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba B-
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 54

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Strom, you werent paying attention. Please go back and re-read my post

You said: "Nabber you say round bottom flasks are no good, then you link to an auction with round bottom flasks."

NO! I said the round bottom flasks offered by making.absinthe.com are no good. That type of RB flask is thin-walled (fragile) and cheaply made. They might be good for some low energy high school chemistry class experiments, but not anything more rigorous than that.

The E-bay ones that I linked to (for informational purposes only), are heavy duty flasks made specifically for the rigors of vacuum distillation. Plus they have standard taper ground glass connections which are far superior to rubber stoppers and plastic tubing.

If you check out technical specifications for each type of flask, you will see that they are made for two completley different applications. But then again, that might involve some knowlege that you dont fully comprehend, so it or may not do any good.

"I honestly don't think you guys should cross the street alone, please forget about playing with things that burn."

"Ever try badmitton?"
Only if I dip the birdie in gasoline first, light it on fire, and launch it into the neighbors yard.

Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well it's not too difficult to scale the recipes to whatever volume you like. Since the volumes are all in liters and the herbs are given in kilograms. For once, the metric system actually pays off.

Anyway to answer your questions;

"does it have to be made in large quantities?"
No - do the math and scale down.

"do the ***** have to be made out of a certain material?"
Yes - copper, stainless, and glass only. Stay away from cheap round bottom boiling flasks that use rubber 1-hole stoppers and plastic tubing (these materials have no place in the process). Heavy-duty round bottom boiling flasks with standard taper ground glass fittings are the only way to go. Hint - 24/40

le Duc

Post Number: 296

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Furgeson, Fastus, and Nabber:

Seriously you guys scare me. How my points completely missed you guys in beyond me. Nabber you say round bottom flasks are no good, then you link to an auction with round bottom flasks.
I honestly don't think you guys should cross the street alone, please forget about playing with things that burn. Ever try badmitton?

Let me spell it out for you. If you boil 1 liter of water in a 1 liter flask it will boil over!!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page