Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 10, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » ...even more Ebay stupidity. » Archive through June 10, 2003 « Previous Next »

ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2013

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Senator of Shit does not trump bein' the Mayor of Absinthetown.
Blah, blah, blah.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Strom Thurmond (Mogan_david)
le Duc
Username: Mogan_david

Post Number: 304

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ll,
le'me tell ya that with what I've been drinking I could piss on a sugar cube and it still would be the best HG you ever tasted.
Don't fuck with the senator bee-atch.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 2012

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The sparrows are so blissed, your ample ass could relieve itself in the HG birdbath and they'd still be happy.
So, punk, you gonna grab a raquet and bring it, or shut the fuck up?
Hi, what're ya havin'?
le Duc

Post Number: 303

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Stummin'TheHardOn,
You almost missed that one because you are a dullard!
Blah, blah, blah w/a staple in Bea Arthur's ample ass.
The birdbath rests soundly in the middle-square of the Mayor's yard. And no, a *plop* therein would not quench any flaming shuttlecock, as the Mayor's birdbath is full of HG. Because he is the fuckin' Mayor of Absinthetown, see?
Wipe yer nose, wipe yer ass, grab a racquet and bring it on, wuss.

Shuttlecock, Didn't that fall in the middle of east Texas? I guess it might have been of fire. (bad taste?)
Need I remind you that Senator beats Mayor any day?
No damn respect from you young bastard whippersnappers.

BTW thanks for the visual of a flaming birdie falling into a birdbath full of hg. I'll bet the sparrows would be pissed. (American as well as English translations)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 2009

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Stummin'TheHardOn,
You almost missed that one because you are a dullard!
Blah, blah, blah w/a staple in Bea Arthur's ample ass.
The birdbath rests soundly in the middle-square of the Mayor's yard. And no, a *plop* therein would not quench any flaming shuttlecock, as the Mayor's birdbath is full of HG. Because he is the fuckin' Mayor of Absinthetown, see?
Wipe yer nose, wipe yer ass, grab a racquet and bring it on, wuss.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Wolf,

I dunno where the man learned. If he learned from you and from the forum then the forum has done it's job, right? Kudos all around.
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
le Duc

Post Number: 302

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

SomeTurdMind sez:...
I gotcha, Sport! Let's have a match then, tough guy. The Mayor's yard, anytime. Anything in the birdbath is in play.

Nearly missed this one.
There you go again making fun of the Senator's name. Let me tell you Bucko that Mr Thurmond deserves much respect. He's helped me enhance my sex life manyfold. If I feel I'm going to finish early I only have to think of the senator's testicles and I'm good for another half hour. If I think of him teabaging Bea Arthur and I'm good for an hour. I used to simply fire a staple into my anus but I find this works much better. (besides I kept loosing the staple gun)
Now how bout a little respect for the senator.

I don't get the birdbath comment. Wouldn't that put out the flaming birdie?
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1020

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

The question someone should ask himself is

You should also consider questions like "Can I cook a thick steak medium-well without burning it on the outside?" or "can I make a souffle?" or "can I make marinara sauce from scratch without a recipe?" These skills aren't directly applicable, but they indicate an ability with timing, temperature control, and understanding of flavors which are needed to make GOOD absinthe. It is, after all, about the taste. There is more to cooking than following a recipe.
le Duc

Post Number: 301

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks GreenMeanie, but Wolfgang is right I did learn a lot from the people here, him included.

I do have to take issue with Artemis in regards to using glassware. I'll stick with my original statement that taking unnecessary risks is stupid. Copper or stainless steel simply don't shatter no matter what you do. If you fail to notice a hairline crack in even the most expensive glassware further use could be dangerous. For a person trying to make 1 liter of absinthe (Would it really be worth it to make less than 1 liter) One would need about a 3 liter vessel. That size glass flask would be very large and unwieldy, the fact is that a wrong move could easily end with a shattered vessel on the floor and 2 liters of ethanol/herb mixture on fire around you. I certainly don't have to mention the fact that glass is not a traditional material for a distillery particularly for absinthe. Copper in this instance, besides being orders of magnitude safer imparts its own properties to the liquor making it smoother and removes the alcohol "burn" flavor.

I'm going to quit arguing this point because I don't think it's getting anywhere. Let me just say this; If you are going to do something like distill ethanol, then you owe it to yourself to imagine a worst case scenario. Then work to both eliminate the risk of that scenario occurring and work to mitigate the damage should your attempts to eliminate the risk fail. The main objective of making absinthe shouldn't be to make great absinthe, it should be to come out on the other side of the process intact.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 2006

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Da Wuff sez:
"I've tasted many "HG" from many people. Most where bad and are still crowding the back of my cabinet."
I'll pay postage, clean yer cabinet and send me the shitty-shit.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte
Username: Nabber86

Post Number: 62

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HOLY CRAP - I think we have a winner.

Arty - I agree with you 100 percent and that is exactly the point that I was trying to make. The glassware that was offered by makingabsinthe.com is inadiquate for the job. If somebody were crazy enough to tempt fate (and the law) to try it themselves, there are ways of going about it with a reasonable factor of safety. The use of proper glassware can be an option (the miss-use of proper glassware can be a problem though).

For instance, this website might get a person started:

http://unitedglasstech.com/ugt2003onlinecatalog/Distilling/Distilling.htm

Of course it would take about $400 for the correct equipment. Plus additional safety equipment, a safe place to work, correct knowlege, appropriate BATF license, yada, yada, yada.

That's the only point I was trying to make - Good glassware can be one component of the process.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 956
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

''good info from MD ''

Good info he mostly got from other people around here and on the web I presume.

It is risky to make absinthe at home and it is illegal in many country. It doesn`t mean it is impossible to do or absolutely life threatening for someone with proper scientifical knowledge.

For exemple, if you`ve worked on the design of space flight equipments before (including temperature and vacuum environment tests and such) or if you`r a qualified chemist or at least some kind of scientist, it should look like a walk in the park to do the proper researchs.

The question someone should ask himself is ''did I got 80% and over on most of my scientific tests at college and university ?" (or did I got the proper training from a professional distiller) and "did I made anough researchs to know what I'm doing ?" and "Did I tested my rig with *water* before ever thinking about using it with ethanol ?"...

This should be enough to close the question.

I've tasted many "HG" from many people. Most where bad and are still crowding the back of my cabinet. Some where amazing and are not in my cabinet anymore. Why is it so ? Because most people don't know what they are doing and hope to get a cheaper fancy booze. DAmn, most of those bad distillers doesn't even own an alcohometer !

The fact is if you include historical and scientific research time and everything, it is a lot more expensive to do it yourself on an homemade scale. Of course I'm talking about real distilled absinthes, not about artificial oil mixes...

It is already illegal enough to order some good distilled absinthes online in the US so most people should feal "evil" and "chaotic" and revolutionary" enough that way...

Now for the newbees... You can get some distilled absinthe from Spirit Corner's Segarra ( http://www.spiritscorner.com/ ), from LDF's Emiles ( www.absintheonline.com ) or from some Swiss LaBleu resellers or from the Moon or ... well... you got my point.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 811

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If boiling volatile materials in glass is stupid, then every chem lab is stupid. It's done all the time. What's stupid is buying stuff on the Internet (or elsewhere) that's obviously intended for the ignorant.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nabber,

I am NOT in any way jumping on you here.

I've known MD for a while and IMHO the man is a font of distilling knowledge and a safety FANATIC. Anything he says when it comes to distillation comes from an OVER abundance of caution on his part.

Again Nabber, I am not trying to ride you here in any way. Nor am I trying to imply any lack of knowledge on your part. It's just that I've gotten plenty of good info from MD.

MD, I'll e-mail soon!!

-Green

Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 61

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"In my opinion using glass is stupid and involves unnecessary risk."

Your opinion just proves your ignorance. Please dont take this personally, but just because you are ingorant doesnt mean that the process is stupid. Just as I am ignorant on how to wire up a blasting cap, it doesnt follow the rock blasting is a stupid or foolhardy process.

There is plently of glassware that is made specifically for boiling volatile compounds. But, it costs a lot of money and does not employ the use of rubber stoppers, plastic tubing, or open flames.

But you are absolutely right. If you dont know what you are doing, dont know how to use the proper equipment, or use proper safety precautions, then you should not be doing it.

Not to mention the fact that it is illegel.
le Duc

Post Number: 300

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Just because you are ignorant, doesnt mean everybody else is. There are no legitimate reasons for biting down on a blasting cap or drunk driving yet you are equating that to a process that has hundreds of useful purposes and can be carried out safely if one has proper knowlege and follows standard safety procedures (but not at home, because that may land you in jail). Your analogy is ludicrous.

My analogy wasn't to the dangers of distillation, but instead to the danger of boiling ethanol in a glass vessel. Remember shit happens and it happens more often to people who take stupid risks.
In my opinion using glass is stupid and involves unnecessary risk.

Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roll up a fatty
for Ol' Nab Daddy,

The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 392

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, but when you smoke it... you can see so clearly. like life through a window.
Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"ground glass joints"
That's like, sooo harsh dude.
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 60

Posted on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's why ground glass joints were invented.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 389

Posted on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Imagine how it'd taste after the 5th or 6th distillation.

Funky-Rubbery-Burnt and bitter! Bleh!
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 954
Posted on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

About the rubber fitting thing... Those who suggest an absinthe still with such things have probably never licked a rubber fitting before.

Rubber flavored absinthe anyone ? It will get you bouncy bouncy after a glass ! ;-)
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 810

Posted on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Discussion of certain subjects is not allowed here because Admin says so. No other reason is needed, nor need she give any reasons, logical or otherwise. Don't like it, take your ass off to some other part of the Internet and start your own absinthe forum. Good luck with that.

"For such an elightened and knowlegeble group of people, it it amazing how some of you cant think a simple problem through."

I have no doubt that you will be our savior, however. You've burned through the turgid sarcasm of this tired old forum with all the pizzazz of a pissed-on bottle rocket.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1017

Posted on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Careful you could start a fire or even kill yourself.

Did you bother to read the part where I noted the difference between operating a professionally designed, solid-state piece of equipment and something hacked together from random parts? I would not be overly concerned with the risks of operating a professionally-built still if I were properly trained (but I would still want it outside my living quarters). That is not the same as building your own without any experience.

And for the record, the work I do on my car is either reasonably safe, or something with which I have significant experience. And much of that I would still never do in my living room. My mechanic gets to do the dangerous stuff.

quote:

All you need is two things.

I would suggest an engine stand as well. They tend to jump all over the place if you just set them on the floor.

As for proper ventilation, that would be hard to achieve in the average living room. Running a tube from the tailpipe might work in a repair bay, but it is insufficient for a dwelling. There are gasses coming from places other than the exhaust that I wouldn't want lingering where I sleep. There are some things which belong in the garage or outside.

I don't think anybody is saying that building ones own still WILL, unquestionably, lead to flaming horrible doom. But the risks are there, and it takes some amount of experience to know how to minimize them.

And it's illegal. It supports terrorism, or something like that.
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 186

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I <3 Kallisti's scoots!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page