Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Gert Strand

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Gert Strand « Previous Next »

rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rowdy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A slight correction - where I noted that in Australia it is illegal to manufacture alcohol without a license under the Customs Act, I actually meant the Distillation Act (Section 12). The maximum penalty is a $5000 fine, but I don't know of anyone distilling for their own use who's ever been busted and as I said, you can buy a relux still from any good home-brewing store. On the other hand, if you were caught selling 'white lightning' you would definately be in trouble.
rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I am in Australia and yes it is against the law to distill alcohol here without a license. That said, it's not illegal to own a still with a capacity of up to five litres and generally speaking the authorities turn a blind eye to people distilling for their own consumption (you can buy a reflux still at any good home-brewing store).

On the question of Absinthe, while it's unlawful under the Customs Act to distill alcohol from scratch, it's not an offence to be in possession of the stuff (irrespective of how it was made) and it's not illegal to re-distill existing alcohol. In other words, if you steep herbs in ethanol and then run the mixture through a still, technically you're not actually manufacturing alcohol within the definition set out in the legislation.
George Beatley (Lediablevert)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Buying absinthe is only a little illegal. Making it is very illegal.

Home distilling is fun for the whole family.

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1123

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rowdy, I thought you were in Australia. Maybe it was New Zealand.

Did we stress that distilling is *very* illegal here?

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1053

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I think you might be forgetting that absinthe is still outlawed in the states to begin with.

In the US, the penalties for importing small quantities of a beverage containing additives not approved for human consumption are minor, compared to the penalties for distilling potable spirits without a license. Buying absinthe is only a little illegal. Making it is very illegal.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1052

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

And even if it's not illegal to make absinth(sic?) in your neck of the woods, it is illegal to make moonshine absinthe (or gin, or whiskey, etc.) ... correct?

He might be in New Zealand or another place that allows small-batch home distillation.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Where I am it's not illegal to make Absinth

Well, that's good for you. However, the person who runs this site is not that lucky, and has real legal concerns when it comes to such discussions, so she has asked that practical discussions of absinthe production not take place here.

quote:

and the prosess is straight-forward for anyone into making their own moonshine.

Again, I think you underestimate the complexity involved in making GOOD absinthe. Making moonshine is to making absinthe as boiling water is to making bouillabaisse. And using an extract to make absinthe is like using Lipton's Instant Soup Mix...

quote:

As I understand it the 'real deal' used to have about 250 parts per million - compared to the 10 or so parts million allowed by most states these day.

Then you understand wrong. The 250ppm estimate was based on the presumed yeild from wormwood oil, not the amount actually present in distilled absinthe. Testing for thujone has proved very tricky, and it is easy to mis-calibrate. No peer-reviewed scientific study of thujone levels in absinthe (vintage or new) has ever been published (Ted? Any news?), but a couple of less rigorous experiments have shown vintage absinthe to have much less thujone than previously. One sample of turn-of-the-century Pernod Fils tested as having 6mg/l.

http://www.feeverte.net/thujone.html
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1282

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see trouble brewing.

" ... compared to the 10 or so parts million allowed by most states these day."

How will you be able to measure the parts per million in your own "next brew", Rowdy?

And even if it's not illegal to make absinth(sic?) in your neck of the woods, it is illegal to make moonshine absinthe (or gin, or whiskey, etc.) ... correct? Therefore, the parts per million is a moot point.

rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

blackjack

Where I am it's not illegal to make Absinth and the prosess is straight-forward for anyone into making their own moonshine. The only issue is the thurjone content. As I understand it the 'real deal' used to have about 250 parts per million - compared to the 10 or so parts million allowed by most states these day.

Assuming I don't go blind, mad or both. I'll let you know how my next brew turns out!

Rowdy
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Jack,

I think you might be forgetting that absinthe is still outlawed in the states to begin with.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1273

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rowdy rowdy rowdy rowdy is good at adding. Especially when it comes to posts.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1038

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it's illegal, to start with, at least in the US, and as such any discussion of the process is not an appropriate topic for this forum. And it IS different from simply distilling your own spirits, because the distillation is intended to impart flavor, not just to rectify the alcohol. You're adding, not subtracting.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1272

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

blackjack

What's the problem with doing your own Absinthe? It isn't too different to making grapa or grain-based spirits , which I've managed heaps of times.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1271

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

blackjack

What's the problem with doing your own Absinthe? It isn't too different to making grapa or grain-based spirits, which I've managed heaps of times.
rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

blackjack

What's the problem with doing your own Absinthe? It isn't too different to making grapa or grain-based spirits, which I've managed heaps of times.

rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Paysan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

blackjack

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1034

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Is it any good, or should I try distilling it the proper way using a well-known recipe?

No and no.

(They always come in waves...)
Danyael (Danyael)
Paysan
Username: Danyael

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone here know if the wormwood variety Powis Castle (supposedly a heartier absinthium hybrid) contains thujone? Sorry, I tried posting a new topic on the main board. Thanks.

~d
rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Paysan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

balzdeep

If you've got an address that I can send it to I'll happily mail you the bottle of Gert Strand. I found it disgusting; which is little ironic when you think that the name Absinth is drawn from the botanical term for Wormwood - 'Artemisia Absinthium' - it's origins being in the Greek word for "undrinkable".
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 26

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Will admit that the amount of food coloring added to it is an enormous amount. However, feel it is a great alternative to many of the spanish absinthes (if you likey the spanish) to those that wish to make their own concoctions. Also great in the fact that you can mix your own a little stronger, although you might be pooping a green fairy the next day! Personally feel that NS has nothing to fear compared to Gert, but would go for it in a pinch.
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Paysan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Gert Strand Absinth essence arrived on Friday. I followed the instructions to the letter and can say unequivocally that it tastes like dog's piss! It's nothing like real Absinthe and it's the most outrageous shade of green you could possibly imagine.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ho Hum?
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Paysan

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ho hum.
I have friends who have tried
the double boiler trick with the Dr. Arnold
recipe from Scientific American. As it turns out,
the results were actually quite good.
You might want to check it out.

http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/absinthe-recipes.html#3
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Gert Strand essences will produce a product somewhere in between that of a typical Czech and low-grade Spanish product. It can be vastly improved by adding a few drops of pure(USP)grade anise oil.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
rowdy rowdy (Rowdy)
Paysan

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've recently been introduced to Absinthe. I distill my own spirits and have ordered a bottle of Absinthe essence from Gert Strand in Sweden. Has anyone out there used essence to make Absinthe. Is it any good, or should I try distilling it the proper way using a well-known recipe?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page