Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Artemisia absinthium hybrid plant

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Artemisia absinthium hybrid plant « Previous Next »

Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes!

Beat that SLERPIS drum, Georgie!

TESTIFY!!!
George Beatley (Lediablevert)
Paysan
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

slurpiss!
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1036

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Your understanding of what exactly *does* contribute to the synergy of the herbs really helped me out a great deal.

(giving the benefit of the doubt, AGAIN)

That depends on what you mean by "synergy of the herbs". If you mean "what causes any perceieved secondary effects", then no, there isn't a lot of understanding, because nobody has established to what extent these effects even exist. If you've got the scientific know-how and resources, we'd love to see anything you can come up with.

Until then, the assumption that thujone (or any other phytochemical) is important to absinthe beyond any flavor it imparts, is unfounded. This is especially true in light of preliminary research indicating that the levels of thujone in vintage absinthe were lower than previously suspected.

You asked if a particular hybrid had thujone in it. My initial response, while admittidly snarky, is the right answer. Why does it matter? If you are making absinthe (insert legal disclaimer), the presence of thujone is not important. If it was, then you could use tarragon.

If Powis Castle tastes just like A. absinthium after distillation (which is unlikely), then I suppose it's just fine for making absinthe. However, since non-hybridized A. absinthium is readily availible, I'm not sure why one would want to risk using the hybrid.

Perhaps you are intent on growing all your own herbs, but live in a climate where A. absinthium will not thrive as will as the A. x. But you didn't say that. You just asked about thujone. If you've really heard the thujone thing a thousand-and-one times, you'd have known what sort of response that would get.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1035

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, he's not being sarcastic! Nooo! It's just a little speech impediment. He can't help it!
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 614

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He wasn't being sarcastic, he means it.
C'est ma santé
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 417

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Danyael (Danyael) -

I'm not sure what "use" you have in mind. If you want live A. Abs plants try- http://www.companionplants.com/ They guarantee their plants will arrive alive!

If you seek the A.Abs dried herb check out the homebrew resources on this site.- http://www.feeverte.net/absinthe-sources.html
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1258

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow. Thanks for being so sarcastic, Danyael.

~m

Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's a 7-Eleven down the
street. Go get yer self a bug
red Slurpee some Serpis
and forget all about this "green"
nonsense.

oops... I meant "big". I really don't buy
into that "beatles in my Serpis"
or in my Slurpee hoo-hah
Danyael (Danyael)
Paysan
Username: Danyael

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow. Thanks for being so helpful, guys.

Seeing as how I hadn't heard the "thujone doesn't matter" line parroted a-thousand-and-one times, I am really incredibly enlightened (and so very thankful!) for the grand knowledge you have contributed.

Your understanding of what exactly *does* contribute to the synergy of the herbs really helped me out a great deal.

I will definitely return here to consult in the future.

Who woulda thunk such great minds spent their time replying on internet forums?!

~d
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1033

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mmm...mugworty...

Danyael, seriously, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt because I kinda liked the clips of your band. Read the FAQs and the archives a little.

1) Thujone is irrelevant. Really.

2) If you have to ask questions about the herbs, you probably don't have enough knowlege to make anything resembling decent absinthe.

3) If you're just curious about the herbs from an academic perspective, phrases like "worth messing with" aren't likely to reflect that.

4) A quick Google search reveals that Powis Castle is probably a hybrid of Grand Wormwood and Great Mugwort. "Probably" means it wasn't a deliberate hybrid. It just showed up spontaneously and nobody has bothered to figure out where it came from. It may just be a variety of Great Mugwort. I suspect the flavor would differ greatly from pure Grand Wormwood. Taste for yourself if you want...
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2034

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thujone don't play well here, DannyEel.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1031

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who cares?
Danyael (Danyael)
Paysan
Username: Danyael

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just bought a wormwood variey plant called "Powis Castle." It is supposedly a hybrid of artemisia absinthium and artesmia arborescens (making it a heartier hybrid.) Does anyone have any information on whether this has any thujone content (or is even worth messing with?)

If it is not recommended, please advise on your recommended plant/seed suppliers.

Thanks in advance,
~d

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page