Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 24, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » P68 & VErsinthe blanche review » Archive through June 24, 2003 « Previous Next »

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 827

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Disturbed minds grate alike ...
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 442

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

great(?) minds are disturbed alike...
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 826

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, Peter, didn't mean to step on you - didn't know you were hitting the SEND button just as I was. Or was it the SMITE button?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 825

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Well, I think that is how you do the quoting, anyhow."

That may be how YOU do it; it's not how I do it, but I'll give you a pass on that.

What the questioner meant was, is Emile Blanche merely Une Emile left uncolored, OR is it a different recipe altogether, i.e., NOT Une Emile left uncolored, but a different absinthe, with different herbs in it.

"Just to clear up all of the confusion,"

I'm not aware that there was any confusion; certainly not on my part. I know the answer to the above question, but I'm not at liberty to give it, nor is there any reason others who know the answer should do so, and there are some good reasons not to give it.

"all that l'blanche absinthe is, is absinthe minus the chlorophyl-coloring process."

It is absinthe without ANY type of coloring process. Blanche means clear. Period.

"I believe that this process was originally skipped in switzerland to elude the suisse and french authorities as to it's contents."

Or else they didn't know how to do it without making the absinthe taste like a hay pile.

"I also believe that there really is no fundamental difference between the production of L'Bleue and L'Blanche absinthe,"

Those are just words. They both mean clear absinthe. There could be, and very often are, profound differences between two given clear absinthes.

"I think the higher thujone that can be found in L'Bleue absinthe is largely due to the better plants that can be grown in the area."

Sorry, that's complete nonsense, for more reasons than one. Listen: thujone is irrelevant. Learn it. Live it.

pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 441

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Un Emile Blanche is just that - white, or clear, Un Emile

well, it's not that simple, and mr. pernot will not divulge all the ingredients used in his absinthes, or his techniques (the only person who knows completely how to make any of his products, and not only just the absinthes, is him). there is no doubt that the coloration step is also a flavoring step (if you are actually using plants as does mr. pernot, as opposed to artificial food coloring) but there is also more to it than that.

>I also believe that there really is no fundamental difference between the production of L'Bleue and L'Blanche absinthe, minus the chlorophyllation step.

there is no 'chlorophyllation'(coloration) step in either of these, so i'm not sure what you are talking about.

>I think the higher thujone that can be found in L'Bleue absinthe is largely due to the better plants that can be grown in the area.

actually, higher thujone levels are found in the stems, which is the crappiest part of the absinthe plant for distillation, so, inversely, a high thujone absinthe could come from someone using poor-quality plant stems, or adding oils, or a bad distillation process. high-thujone is not a sign of a quality absinthe.

uh, and pontarlier is only about 20 kilometers from the val-de-travers where la bleue is made, (mme. pernot actually grows their absinthe plants in her garden.)
George Beatley (Lediablevert)
Paysan
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

<qoute>
Is Emile Blanche a simpler version of Un Emile without the coloring step or does it contain additional herbs?
</qoute>

Well, I think that is how you do the quoting, anyhow. Un Emile Blanche is just that - white, or clear, Un Emile. Just to clear up all of the confusion, all that l'blanche absinthe is, is absinthe minus the chlorophyl-coloring process. I believe that this process was originally skipped in switzerland to elude the suisse and french authorities as to it's contents. I also believe that there really is no fundamental difference between the production of L'Bleue and L'Blanche absinthe, minus the chlorophyllation step. I think the higher thujone that can be found in L'Bleue absinthe is largely due to the better plants that can be grown in the area.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 801

Posted on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Since my post about Emile blanche has apparently caused some distress, I want to explain that my remark about the best of the commercials not being much, is more a reflection of the sorry state of almost all the other commercials, rather than an indictment of Emile.

Unspectacular means not spectacular; it doesn't mean poor, or shoddy, or shitty.

That's all I'm going to say about it, now or ever again.

vortex (Vortex)
Mousquetaire
Username: Vortex

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is Emile Blanche a simpler version of Un Emile without the coloring step or does it contain additional herbs?
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 796

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto the Wolfman, except LaSala is as good as Montana. And Emile Blanche at best of the commercials is still not saying much; it's utterly unspectacular. I got a bottle last week and wasn't very impressed. It's better doctored with some other stuff they sell, the Fraise de Bois.

Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crowly, this is my opinion based on my personal preferences and experience ...

Best :
Emile blanche

Good:
Other Emiles
Segarra
F.Guy

Acceptable (I don`t buy it but it is worth trying):
Montana, Serpis 65, Sebor, La fee ...

Almost anything else I`ve tasted is sink worthy.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1943

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What the fuck? The Canuck the only one w/a palate? Man, I outtah beat your ass in the Homie Bar, just so I can run down the alley and see myself from my bar.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Paranoid Absintheur (Crowlyman)
le Duc
Username: Crowlyman

Post Number: 324

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, of the commercially available brands, what are your favorites? What aren't bad and what are sink worthy? Both of the oily and the distilled brands.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 945
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, honestly I don`t think it could do any harm to pour the absinthe through the sugar cube ... as long as fire is not involved of course.

The only logical reason I don`t do it is because I don`t want to risk spilling any absinthe, otherwise it could be useful to do it if you have very hard sugar cubes (like la Perruche).

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1916

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So's he can strain his teefs outtah the muck.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
MC Peepants (Fluffy_g)
le Vicomte
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its a spittoon/ barf bucket for old gramps back there.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1912

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like that blue thingy. Ice bucket or merely display piece?
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1911

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you're pouring shit, what does it matter?
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 296

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It seems to be a common misconception that you pour the absinthe over the sugar cube. That's what Martha Stewart was quoted as saying in that Vanity Fair article a year or 2 ago. You would think they might figure something out when doing this produces an unsatisfactory result!
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 435

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

as seen in a recent paris food show...
(good news, bad news)i asked him if he was going to light the sugarcube on fire and he said no, he didn't know what i was talking about.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should email him ...
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 118

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey, did moonman change his mind about our exchange?
Bd (Thesubletter)
Mousquetaire
Username: Thesubletter

Post Number: 27

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just finished my P68. I wasn't sad to see it go, i'll put it that way. Nothing very intresting about the taste. Just a sweet taste.
I should be getting my La blanche, Emile pernot 45% and some versinthe coco this week. The candy bar just look so damn good.
Semi Gifted Amateur (Masque)
Mousquetaire
Username: Masque

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just tried my first glass of Pernod 68. This is my least favorite absinthe so far. I may have mixed it too strong, but it had a "flat" taste.I like the Versinthe la Blanche, though.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 170

Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Soapy? Hmmm, maybe I should have rinsed the bottle better.

As for who got the better deal. I'll let you know in a few days
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 915
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, here`s another review of two commercial oil mixes. I got samples of those bad brew today in a sample exchange deal ... As expected, the lucky guy on the other side of the deal is the winner...

P68 :

It is a shame. Very oily. You can imagine Pernod pastis with added wormwood oil. Ok, maybe a little bit better than that but yuck! I would not even drink a free glass of this. This one got the sink award.

Versinthe blanche :

Better than the former sample and better than the regular versinthe. Very soapy. It smells good but the taste is soap + numbing star anis oil. I would not buy it and I`m happy I didn`t had to pay to taste it.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page