Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Ooof.

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Ooof. « Previous Next »

silky slim (Sancho)
Mousquetaire
Username: Sancho

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The law was designed to protect
and promote criminals wasn't it?"

what else would one expect when criminals write the laws?
Baz (Baz)
le Duc
Username: Baz

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yea, and there have been some efforts. Different countries do things in different ways. In the US, each party has to pay their own expenses, unless and agreement is reached in a settlement that one side will pay all legal expenses. In England, the loser of the case pays the other side's legal expenses. I don't think that's any better, b/c if you have a valid claim against, say, proctor and gamble, you wouldn't sue and take the risk of having to pay the 300 corporate lawyers p&g hired if you lose.

There are always assholes trying to take advantage of ANY system. It will evolve, eventually, but that doesn't help us now!
Turd Ferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

You can't prevent abusive lawsuits, but you can at least minimize your exposure if you merely point out obvious absurdities in the miscreants' claims or establish patterns of cheating, overcharging, etc., through the stories of victims willing to sign affidavits if needed.

Ask anyone who's been the victim of a frivolous lawsuit, and they'll tell you that the problem was not that they didn't have a valid defense, but that they couldn't afford the time and money required to defend themselves. That was the case of the aquatic plant fiasco. What our legal system needs is an inexpensive way for people to defend themselves against frivolous lawsuits.
Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba B-
Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc
Username: Bjacques

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that was a doctor in Australia who sued a UK website that criticized him, in a UK court and won.

You can't prevent abusive lawsuits, but you can at least minimize your exposure if you merely point out obvious absurdities in the miscreants' claims or establish patterns of cheating, overcharging, etc., through the stories of victims willing to sign affidavits if needed.

The U.S. still has the world's strongest protections of speech, and one theoretical basis (though not always real one) is that truth is the ultimate defense. But deep-pocketed corporate lawyers are damaging the 1st Amendment faster than even this government is.
Heady Head Head (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3608

Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The law was designed to protect
and promote criminals wasn't it?
GO LIVE !!!
Baz (Baz)
le Duc
Username: Baz

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yea, sue somebody, it's like the lotto. Actually you can be sued for that, and you could be forced to defend the suit anywhere your website can be accessed. Had a case about that recently, so I'm pretty up to date on this area of the law.
Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3573

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Somebody outta start suing people
for positive feedback and good reviews.

GO LIVE !!!
Karl (Raschied)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 330

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kal,

There was also the case of the aquatic plants (!) where a grower of aquatic plants (and a huge pocketbook) got a bunch of people in trouble on a message board because of bad reviews of his service. It sounds crazy, but people lost their jobs and a lot of money over it.
Check here:
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/04/aquatic_plants/

I know California has a special law on the books protecting the opinions posted on message boards, so if you keep your servers local you should be fine.
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Masqued Reveler (Nolamour)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Nolamour

Post Number: 681

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Screw em...Make the list...I got some for ya.

See, Faustus needs the list to make the right call.

Maybe just a "Caution" or "Beware" list or something.
Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2055

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which category am I in again?
Hi, what're ya havin'?
steena faustus (Faustus)
Mousquetaire
Username: Faustus

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see, thanks for the heads-up Kallisti. Apparently a LOT of stuff happened around here before I dropped by, of which I know nothing. As a result, it is often very hard for me to understand what you people are talking about at any given time. Seems there are always allusions to some terrible, dark thing that happened a while ago. I feel like I started the triology with the second book. :/
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1118

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Faustus,

I'm not really talking about that type of issue. I'm not sure if you're aware of much that has gone on this past year, but some serious shite has gone down.

Besides, most of these folks are peddling shady deals anyways. Can they sue me for pointing out they're selling illegal snake oil, or shipping bottles of fake absinthe to people for $200 a bottle?

My regular vendors here are all very reliable. And most of the other legit vendors are too, they're not the people I'm targeting.

EXCEPT, that guy in Mexico who makes the fake sebor, I should have posted a page about that A LONG TIME AGO. For Kyle's sake and so so many people wouldn't have been burnt by receiving Sebor Strong, or worse, nothing at all.

I'm aware of the liabilities people targeting ebay sheisters have run across, that is one of the reasons I'm feeling the issue out.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
steena faustus (Faustus)
Mousquetaire
Username: Faustus

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would be really careful. Remember that people have already been sued over giving bad feedback on Ebay. I think the defendant won, but nonetheless, that is a big headache/time/money.

Also, sometimes... shit happens. Post office actually does lose the order, bottle breaks, or general life (marriage, divorce, birth, death, and everything in betwee) gets in the way. If you gave a vendor the "mark of shame" because of something like that, you might be lining yourself up for a law suit.
I personally think it should be reserved for criminals/people who have ripped at least two people off.
Just don't want to see anything happen to this forum. :-)
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 619

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I gots time, Opie seems to be gone.
C'est ma santι
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1117

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

awesome ... not yet, I have SO much on my to-do list right now.

actually, you can send it and I will archive it for future use.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Burn 'em. If and when you're ready, I have a list for you.

Imperial Order of Absinthe
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1116

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and I have to say that it took surprisingly long for this to happen to this relatively small community.

we had one vendor very early in the beginning who sold a bunch of lasala he never shipped.

but once the floodgates opened, the hucksters sure poured in.

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1115

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well exactly, Georgie ... that's that slippery slope I mentioned.

My feelings are that straight up criminals such as opie should be catalogued, numbered, and testified against.

And not to lump "bad ideas" or "poor product" in with the criminals, I would go with a category system, something like:

1) Criminals

2) Poor product designed merely to part you from your money, NOT in exchange for quality product

3) Ebay vendors of doom

4) rip-off artists

I think each of these would need testimonies of individuals plus a more or less detailed explaination.

and NOT a sweeping witch hunt of everyone who gets on our nerves.

more like a public service announcement.

George Beatley (Lediablevert)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Would reporting this character be a good idea or not? I really can't make up my mind on this issue. I can't help but think about some of the genuinely good people who are involved with home distillation and yes, even bootlegging. But I mean, this guy is obviously just a total sleaze. There's one part of me that says 'protect those you know, let those who wish to exploit be exploited themselves' and another side of me that says something like 'maybe absinthe will be relegalized someday if more creeps like this disappear from the universe'.... But I don't know. What are your thoughts on this issue?

And speaking of the word 'shame', is it true that it is illegal to yell out this word in public in the "United" Kingdom?
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 29

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Screw'em, and let 'em burn complete in their own shame. Personally feel that it would be a good place to allow newbies to look at what's available and realize that if it's too cheap to be true, it problably is. However, also feel that it is pertinent that somebody try the product before placing it to shame! Recent discussions on the other forum displayed how overall dismay at a product might turn around once tried!
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1112

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Spoony, you're the swellest!

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1111

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, here's a question for youuz.

What would your feelings be, dear forum, on creating a sort of "Absinthe Hut of Shame" as an addendum to the guide. And what the implications might be.

Like, who are the hucksters and why.

This is one of those slippery slope type things, but after the whole Opie burn, I really feel people might find it useful.

Can criminal sue me for pointing the finger at him?

Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 310

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Georgie, you're new. Just remember:

Mrs. Head = Kallisti

Mr. Kallisti = Head

So don't call Mrs. Head "Head", or Mr. Kallisti "Kallisti". Got it?
Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3555

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who you talkin' to boy?

Just do this...

quote:

Your text

Quoted----------------------------------------
-------------------------------------Quote:
Your text
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
============
+=+=+=+==@#%#)I)!#$*%)*^()@%*^#%^)%)^#@$%)^

oh fuck it.

Read this
or use these " "

GO LIVE !!!
George Beatley (Lediablevert)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 23

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Head,

How do you put up those neat little
quote boxes anyhow? I am sick of the
arrows.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1107

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

more scary bootleggers.

http://www.geocities.com/greensireen/

would have ignored except for this lovely exerpt over at winnies:

quote:

I believe that Dr. Ordinaire was trying to create a liquor that was its own antidote and suceeded beyond his wildest dreams. I know that if I drink even 1 beer or a glass of wine I feel rotten 20 minutes later. This is not true of Absinthe. My own formula not only has no negative after effects but seems to help people with gall bladder problems and also appears to have aphrodesiac effects. If this was true of the original it was probably one of the reasons it was banned. It is of course illegal to produce Absinthe in the US and the Green Sireen makes no claims to that vaunted yet controversial title. After doing a little research I've found that, being a tincture or essence of legal herbs, it can call itself that and be one of a thousand herbal nutritional suppliments. That's how it is presented on my home page website. The smallest available amount comes in a dropper bottle which is very convenient for public use. I refill mine regularly and use it in tea or water in restaurants. If anything, I look health conscious in doing so. It also sells well that way in health food stores when people enjoy its very real medicinal benefits.

*dies*

Makes me want to quit this hobby, too many slime balls rubbing their hands together thinkin' its ok to feed this crap to people. Makes me feel dirty.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page