Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sticky.

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Sticky. « Previous Next »

Karl (Raschied)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 332

Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Living in Sactown gets ya used to the heat - It was 104 over the weekend, and we didn't get the usual delta breezes, which can lower the valley temp by 40 degrees or so at night. Sometimes, after a high temp in the 100's, it's 60 degrees here by 11pm.

Ya'll swealtering Bay Folks are welcome to take the drive up here to beat the heat. *snicker*.

Seriously, I keep cool in a free-flowing semi-private swimming pool built in 1928. Water is about 70 degrees. Feels FANTASTIC when it's over a hundred. Since the water is free-flowing (a spring feeds it, and the water empties into a creek) there is very little chlorine. It's like swimming in a river. It's one of only 2 free-flowing pools west of the Rockies that I'm aware of.
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Traineraz (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 928
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Over 90 . . . YAWN.

That's a cold front in the summer in Tucson.

Today we had an average relative humidity of 54. Three days of that or higher in a row, and the monsoon has officially begun. With the monsoon, it doesn't usually get over 100-103 (as opposed to the 112-117 it can hit in June), but of course it's wet and sticky and muggy and the swamp cooler doesn't work so well. Thank goodness for three ceiling fans in the living room.
He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.

-- Thus Spake Zoboomafoo
Masqued Reveler (Nolamour)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Nolamour

Post Number: 694

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sticky Sunday Evening...We've got a huge storm on it's way out of the Gulf. Been raining for days. It's supposed to hit at the coast at 7am.

Some bastard stole the irreplaceable shutters right off my house (over 100 years old)...this aint gonna be fun.
Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
Barsnake (Barsnake)
le Duc
Username: Barsnake

Post Number: 194

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's going to be a pleasant, balmy 107 today in Bakersfield!

and the beat goes on...
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 196

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

almost 3am and still in the 70s... guh... can't sleep... need fog... *twitch twitch*
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1130

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1:30am and its 75 degrees in San Francisco.

unheard of.

set records today along two hundred miles of coast line. wooooo!
A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 686

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tuesday night we had Mint Julips on the porch (daiquiri style) and they were pure liquid within 5 minutes. Didn't matter, the killer cigars kept us goin while we chipped ice.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 685

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yea, my ex has a place in SF for about 10 years now. No AC at all and rarely uses heat.

My New "old house" in Nawlins has a ceiling vent that you can open. You open a door in the house and all the air rushes out...talk about circulation.

Nice, I love the old Guillotine windows. Usually in the second story lofts over small businesses on Magazine, etc.

Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 305

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I remember correctly, this swamp is the most airconditioned city in the country.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1127

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

we're totally spoiled here, two days of above 90 and we whine and complain like we're gonna die.

the only problem of living bayside is that nothing is airconditioned. no-ting.

and nola is brutal, 5 months of gooey hell. we had so much fun though, I only worked 3-4 days a week, so I'd nap alot, then about 7pm we'd hit the patio with pitchers of quickly melting margaritas and drink. alot.

the old houses, especially I noticed in new orleans, had built in cooling systems. most places had trasom's above the doors, and very high ceilings so the hot hair could move about. our place was on stilts so the air moved freely below the house as well. and HUGE guillotine windows. these things all promote awesome air circulation.

still, ain't nothin' beats a stiff ac breeze.

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 682

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, My two window units can't cool down the place enough. I walk around in my underoos. "Do you know what it means, to live in Norleens"

The mail dude banged on the door to deliver a package and I thought he was going to die (not because I showed up in my Hulk Undies, but because of the EXTREME MUGGIES outside).

"I'm the firestarter" ...whatever the words are...
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 435

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I choose the combination of several 12,000 BTU AC units. It keeps me springtime fresh for the short walk to the car.
Escapee from the drunk tank
George Beatley (Lediablevert)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Been stokin' here too. Jockeyin' fans around to get the place to cool down. How the hell did people live in these houses in the late 1800's w/no electricity or indoor plumbing?

staying drunk?
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2051

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Been stokin' here too. Jockeyin' fans around to get the place to cool down. How the hell did people live in these houses in the late 1800's w/no electricity or indoor plumbing?
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 303

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Supposed to be 95 today. IT'S ARMAGEDDON!"

Sounds like everyday here......All the Humidity of NOLA, with out the fun.
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1285

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes. Go rent BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL. The only film that is awful in every possible way. And get a long extension cord so you can watch it on the porch.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1125

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

alrighty, it's gonna be boiling by the time I get home.

anyone have a movie to recommend, cuz I ain't sittin' in the house.

The obvious choice is Matrix, any other ideas???

Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1281

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's about 37 degrees here at night. A deep, enter-your-bones kind of cold. The flies, tiny and otherwise, are hibernating. Days are grey and dull, choked by smog. South of the Equator, winter says hello.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1119

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Supposed to be 95 today. IT'S ARMAGEDDON!

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1049

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's rare here is that it waited until June to start being over 90-degrees. It usually gets started around April...
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

guh... 1:42am... still warm and muggy... restless... can't sleep... where's my fog? wtf did you do with my fog? grrrrrr
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 430

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of rare... 95 here today. It's almost 3am and it's still 72. I had to go out and buy another 10,000 btu AC today. Quite a change from the -20 all winter.

little flies? We get them all the time. Wait till they bite and leave red welts!
Escapee from the drunk tank
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1114

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

its a rare hot night by the bay, 80 degrees at 10pm. and there are these tiny flies *everywhere*.

tried to go catch a breeze on creepy beach to get out of the house, but there were too many damn tiny flies, they kept gettin' up in my glasses. ew.

still, nice to be warm for a change.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page