Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 27, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Libertine? » Archive through June 27, 2003 « Previous Next »

Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3570

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But he's spunky!
GO LIVE !!!
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1288

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Half-informed, wrongly informed and arrogant to boot is no way to go about life, George.
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 606
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The F.Guy label now has "sans sucre" printed right on the front.
Oxygenee (Oxygenee)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Oxygenee

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where's Don when we need him? I'll do my best in the meantime:

Beatley: Fuck off.

Your complete ignorance is perfectly excusable. What's not excusable are your constant laughably incorrect posts, with a litany of falsehoods stated as authorative fact, your Rainman-like failure to recognise and acknowledge your mistakes when an expert like Artemis points them out, and now, your casual slighting of Ted's integrity.

For the record, lets review some of your posts, starting with this one:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 2:41 pm:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<qoute>
Is Emile Blanche a simpler version of Un Emile without the coloring step or does it contain additional herbs?
</qoute>
Well, I think that is how you do the quoting, anyhow.

No its not.
Un Emile Blanche is just that - white, or clear, Un Emile.
No its not.
Just to clear up all of the confusion, all that l'blanche absinthe is, is absinthe minus the chlorophyl-coloring process.
No its not.
I believe that this process was originally skipped in switzerland to elude the suisse and french authorities as to it's contents.
No evidence of this at all.
I also believe that there really is no fundamental difference between the production of L'Bleue and L'Blanche absinthe, minus the chlorophyllation step.
Gibberish.
I think the higher thujone that can be found in L'Bleue absinthe is largely due to the better plants that can be grown in the area.
No it isn't.

Followed by:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 4:30 pm:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe I answered that question percisely. Un Emile blanc is an uncolored emile.

No it isn't.

Followed by:

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 4:35 pm:
I'd hate to do this to you, Ted. Don't take this personally. But people, we must understand that Ted is in the process of releasing his own commercial absinthe, or so he claims. So, naturally, the best rating he is going to give his future competitors, especially the newer ones, is a rating of "C" at best.

Ted's reviews are, as Marc pointed out, generally extremely generous, and if anything, err on the side of being too positive. His own absinthes are orders of magnitude better than anything commercially available, as 100% of the people who have tasted them will confirm. If you were an absinthe producer, it might be "natural" for you to lie and deliberately underrate a competitors product. It isn't for Ted, and he never has. Your smarmy "don't take this personally" just rubs salt in the wound.
And, just like F. Guy, which also contains sugar
No it doesn't.

Are you Slake? Your pontificating from a position of total ignorance is uncannily like his.

Don't take this personally, but you're a moron. Go talk to Winnie at his House of Morons.
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 444

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ted, ian and i were at the distillery that makes libertine two weeks ago. we saw and asked how it was made. it does not contain artemisia absinthium because the resulting product, due to the way it is made, would be too bitter if it did, plus hugues said he liked artemisia pontica because it is more fine in taste than artemisia absinthium. he also said that this recipe is traditional of the distillery and dates back well before the ban. (the distillery has existed since the 1850's.) the distillery makes excellent products besides libertine, and also ships absinthe in bulk to germany to be bottled and labeled under another name.
is libertine absinthe?
according to french law, no. but then no product made in france can be 'absinthe' in name, anyway, since 'absinthe' is still banned in france. is it 'absinthe' on the absinthomometer around here? no. is it 'absinthe' to the maker? well, if it was made like that before the ban, and 'absinthe' was put on the label, i would have to say: yes...but then again, there were alot of products made before the ban that were less an 'absinthe' than most of the would-be products today...
clear things up? most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here...
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2056

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

'nuf said.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

.....and lest we forget, if it ain't got artemisia absinthium, it ain't absinthe.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1284

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"... just like F. Guy, which also contains sugar,..."

But hang on. I don't mean to nitpick, but the label on every bottle of F. Guy has the word "sucre" crossed out. I take it this means that F. Guy does not contain added sugar. Why, then, do you claim that it does?

And as for Ted, he has taken great pains in his many reviews to look for the "best" characteristic of each absinthe brand. If anything, he has been kinder to these absinthes than they deserve. Read the old reviews again. They were written when Ted was already in the process of assembling BEL. (It's been a LONG process!)
Mr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3559

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You get a "C" for thinking things
through Georgie.

Atta Boy!
GO LIVE !!!
George Beatley (Lediablevert)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Libertine appears to be an assemblage of macerates and distillates. It contains sugar and no A. absinthium.

I'd hate to do this to you, Ted. Don't take this personally. But people, we must understand that Ted is in the process of releasing his own commercial absinthe, or so he claims. So, naturally, the best rating he is going to give his future competitors, especially the newer ones, is a rating of "C" at best. Libertine comes in a nice longneck 700 ml bottle, which is the same size as Un Emile 68. It has a nice cap to it, which almost creates a sort of suction upon removal. This probably does something for protection against evaporation. The label is nice and clear, with impressionist artwork of french absinthe drinkers in a Belle Epoch'esque cafe. This absinthe is slightly bitter, even moreso than F. Guy. And, just like F. Guy, which also contains sugar, it is actually even still slightly complimented by a small domino sucre cube. It's louche is almost an even white, with just a slight yellow tinge to it. Even though it does fall behind in traditional aspects, this liquor runs smooth in the mouth, and is hinted with a bit of herbal complexity at 55% alcohol. 55% is of course not unseen in vintage brands. Is the bitterness A. Absinthium? I don't know, but it this "absinthe" tastes like it's title, anyway, which is absinthe. I think it falls a little behind F. Guy in some resgards, but even so I think it is well deserving in it's award of the Silver Spoon in Pontarlier. I think this liquor rates somewhere in between the spanish Montana and the french F. Guy. Definately above modern Pernod or Versinthe. Overall, maybe a high "C" or even a low "B" in the alphanumeric grading scale.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 433

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think someone at the lounge had some comments on it.

Was it Larry? I can't remember.
Escapee from the drunk tank
Luc (Luc)
Mousquetaire
Username: Luc

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it appears that none did a real review of this absinthe (it is an absinthe right ?). Still no Libertine's addict here ? :-)
mattm3 (Mattm3)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 409

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THUJONE!!!
How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!

August Strindburg
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 346

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is that sage advice? (sorry I had to)
Darrin, Stalker of Head (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe someone can add some sage to it and jack up the thujone, heh heh heh
He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.

-- Thus Spake Zoboomafoo
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 145

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would not even try to judge on something I havn't tasted before...
Markus
www.LaFeeVerte.de
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 399

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Libertine- the new Absente.
How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!

August Strindburg
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1817

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Told ya he was still lurkin' about.
Will work for absinthe.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1000

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

TED?!
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Tabreaux

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Libertine appears to be an assemblage of macerates and distillates. It contains sugar and no A. absinthium.
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 142

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are a few better sorts, but not too many.
Markus
www.LaFeeVerte.de
Eric Mathew Przygocki (Eric)
Mousquetaire
Username: Eric

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like Libertine, It has an interesting bitterness in the finish.
Refugee (Sheepprofessor)
Mousquetaire
Username: Sheepprofessor

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

'Interesting' does not always equal 'good.'
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 141

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I gues, one has to be the guinea pig (right?).

I would not have taken it it, if it wasn't interesting :-)

Markus

Markus
www.LaFeeVerte.de
MC Peepants (Fluffy_g)
le Vicomte
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 57

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anybody tried this stuff yet? It sounds like its a distilled absinthe with the way Markus described it on his website.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page