Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Adding wormwood to absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Adding wormwood to absinthe « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 816

Posted on Monday, July 7, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So maybe that's what happened to my marjoram plant, fucking absinthim poisoning. I had a big wormwood plant in a pot in my hern garden beside a marjoram plant which was planted in the soil. Maybe the absinthim leached into the soil and the marjoram bit the dust.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1094

Posted on Monday, July 7, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Or it could have nothing to do with thujone.

Just to be clear, my response to his question assumed "bring out the thujone" meant "extract" not "produce a secondary effect". I was just commenting on the solubility of thujone.

Absinthin IS soluble in water, though, so I can't imagine wormwood tea tastes great. Absinthin will even run off of wormwood plants in the rain and kill neighboring plants.
Mighty Fine Young Man (Lediablevert)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 49

Posted on Sunday, July 6, 2003 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Knock yourself out. It's supposed to be mighty fine in goats milk.

Rolf Like!

rolf}
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*>
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 632

Posted on Sunday, July 6, 2003 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Knock yourself out. It's supposed to be mighty fine in goats milk.
C'est ma santé
Mighty Fine Young Man (Lediablevert)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, July 6, 2003 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why not add wormwood to applejuice?
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*>
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 631

Posted on Sunday, July 6, 2003 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or it could have nothing to do with thujone.
C'est ma santé
Dr. O (Dr_ordinaire)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Dr_ordinaire

Post Number: 475
Posted on Sunday, July 6, 2003 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Um, because thujone isn't soluble in water but it is in alcohol. "

Is this a fact? Pendell reports effects somewhat similar to absinthe after drinking wormwood tea.

Of course, it might be placebo effect.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"One of the issues with the vodka recipe was the low level of alcohol."

I'm certainly not trying to encourage you, but there is Everclear, 190 proof.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I wonder why alcohol can bring out the thujone more than steeping in hot water can.

Um, because thujone isn't soluble in water but it is in alcohol.

Not that it matters.

Did you bother to read my response to your earlier post? Soaking wormwood in Pernod 68 will just ruin a pefectly...er...mediocre abstinthe. I hate to break it to you, but there isn't anything magical about wormwood that will promote Pernod 68 from being "anise tasting booze". If you are looking to enjoy the sublteties of good absinthe, there are a few comercial products (the Emile varieties, Francois Guy) that are worth trying.

If you are happy, who am I to argue, but you are actually making the P.68 LESS like absinthe by soaking the wormwood in it.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2074

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Worse than the absinthe-ual premise is the dense verbiage. Yack, yack, yack, and then another yack is not conducive to someone actually readin' the whole thing.
Slice, dice and be brief.
Or, join Lord Hob and Black Jack in political discourse.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 453

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Be patient. Zenty will be sucking back HG within a year. It's the learning curve...
Escapee from the drunk tank
TheFoy (Thefoy)
Mousquetaire
Username: Thefoy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

See, that's why I check shit out before I start posting on boards at random.

It took me all of five minutes, if that, to realize that these absinthe recipies are total crap (ie macerated vodka messes). I have little sympathy for those too dense to come to this realization. It really doesn't take that much.
So it goes.
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 626

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

C'est ma santé
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 449

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where do I start... Well, if it makes you happy, enjoy it.

Keep in mind that there are MUCH better tasting versions of absinthe out there. Are you after result, or taste?
Escapee from the drunk tank
Mr zent (Zentarantino)
Paysan
Username: Zentarantino

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
I've tried adding wormwood to the Pernod 68 absinthe.

I've been interested in finding out about absinthe. Maybe wondering about it too much. The Pernod 68 struck me as tasting a lot like the conventional Pernod but with a slight bitterness requiring sugar.
I'm quite happy with having added the wormwood. I went to a local health food store and bought a packet of wormwood. It seems to be sold as a tea. I think it's important to understand what I'm letting myself in for with the wormwood. I've tried the tea a few times. There is a bitterness that seems to stick to the tongue. Adding a teaspoon of sugar makes the tea more drinkable and I am quite used to the taste now.
I wonder why alcohol can bring out the thujone more than steeping in hot water can.
One of the issues with the vodka recipe was the low level of alcohol. Surely the 68 percent of Pernod can give a better result, and the drink is already made around the taste of wormwood. I can't do any distilling so I quite accept the bitter taste. My only real concern is what I may be drinking that distillation would remove.
I was interested in understanding absinthe more, and it seems that I may learn more with an increased wormwood presence. I don't think I will encounter the genuine article any time soon, so I did what I could. The balance of herbs is meant to be more historically accurate than just thujone, but as I said, I did what I could.
I added approximately a teaspoon of wormwood to about half a cup (125ml) of absinthe, then left it steep for a week, then strained it out.
There is an obvious effect from the increased wormwood. I compare it to drinking a strong cup of coffee, making me feel a little nervous. The alcohol seems to conceal effects as it hits too.
(which it probably does more effectively when there is a lower thujone/wormwood content)
I have added wormwood to the last cup of absinthe in the bottle. If I want an anise tasting booze I could do it cheaper.
Please consider everything I said before criticizing me, I am happy with having done it.

regards,
Mr zent (in Melbourne, Australia)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page