Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

So Hobby!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » So Hobby! « Previous Next »

Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1329

Posted on Monday, July 7, 2003 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The best way to end this thread is by reading Bill Bryson's fantastic, witty, very well-informed book,

The Mother Tongue: English & How It Got That Way

Bryson, a Yank, lived in Britain for many years, and he plays no favorites.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380715430/102-0443733-6934505?vi=glance

The trainspotters over at Publisher's Weekly gave it a snubby review. (Not surprisingly, Bryson doesn't like them either.)

Mssr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3633

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or tiss-you,
heehee
say shed-you-ell,
AN-TI-Q's
GO LIVE !!!
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Say "aluminium". I love it when you guys say "aluminium".
Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 812

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack,

The Old English word for neighbour/neighbor is neahgebur. The ur ending of this word sounds closer to 'our' than to 'or'. I can't find any other examples of modern English words ending in our/or that have a similar sounding ending in Old English.

I do have an interest in Old English but as for Middle English I know nothing at all about it.

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 811

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevvy,

Without labouring the point too much, although I do not view myself as the saviour of the English language (which is of course for ever changing), language is not my speciality (and I am always sceptical of those who claim such things), but I felt it would ill behove me to baulk at drawing attention to the shortcomings in the general dialogue of most Americans (analyse the spelling errors for yourself and you will realise this).

I apologise if this post appears a bit woollen (I had hoped to colour it with a touch of humour) but it seems I am running out of words and there is a danger that I will be accused of verbal diarrhoea (which I suppose is better than being accused of verbal gonorrhoea) if I carry on much longer.
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 207

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my brain hurts
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1090

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The American spellings are usually the OLDER spellings. The shift from "-or" to "-our" and "-er" to "-re" took place in the past 200 years.

The "grey/gray" thing is complicated by the fact that the word was spelled, in Old and Middle English, with a letter no longer present in the English alphabet. It was originally gee-ar-æsc-yogh. When the vowel "æsc" and fricative "yogh" fell out of use, about half the words started using "-ay" instead and about half "-ey". In Middle English, "key", "clay", "whey" and "gray" all rhymed and ended in the same letters...
Heady Head Head (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3632

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

See... Hobby has a grande sense of hummer.
GO LIVE !!!
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 609
Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Instead of Columbus Day, I celebrate February 15th, the day the Indians discovered Europe.
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1327

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hob!!!

You clever git, you. Your paragraph managed to include just about every English word that Americans spell differently. Tell me that you did it on purpose.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3629

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where's Bob Chong to defend our side
of the academia?

GO LIVE !!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 810

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My comments may not be flavour of the month but before I hear a clamour of noise as you start jumping to the defence of American honour I would like to emphasise that I did not wish to cause any rancour. I realise that skilful spelling is not your forte, I sympathise with you and apologise for any offence caused. While not wanting to sit in judgement over the American, I do feel that correct spelling is not a grey area open to interpretation. I feel that if Americans were to practise correct spelling they could break out of the mould they find themselves in (they could then teach these skills to their neighbours). It would not take a great amount of organisation to arrange to spelling tution (you could enrol for a programme of evening classes) and once you have learnt to spell correctly you will not have to keep up the pretence that your incorrect spelling is acceptable.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1154

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

IT'S "GLAMOR" DAMMINT!!!

heheeeee.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3622

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We spell bad fer emfasis
GO LIVE !!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 809

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the pub I usually go to on a Friday night (popular with Americans because there is an American school, therefore an American ex-pat population, near by) there were still a lot of them still over here. I guess you can't blame them.

I've often wondered about the point of that American school. I suppose it's so that the children of American ex-pats can learn to spell as incorrectly as their parents.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3620

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2003 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or anyone... I was just wondering
if today, or around this time, are
there any national holidays where
the "exodus of the Yanks from Europe" is
celebrated?

Over sexed, over payed
and over here... NO MORE!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

GO LIVE !!!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page