Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 4, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Logan fils original ... » Archive through July 4, 2003 « Previous Next »

Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

more explanations...

Neat, I don`t smell much tails but as soon as I dilute 2:1, it hit me in the face.

I honestly don`t know why I didn`t smell it yesterday... Maybe it was because I had a glass of the green just before, maybe it was because I had a pizza between the green tasting and the blanche...

Anyway, it is full of tails but less than Kubler. It is still not that bad but it could be better if they didn`t push the distillation so far and if they distilled more slowly.

I would suggest people to try it but maybe it would be a good idea if you could split a bottle between a few people so it wouldn`t be so expensive just to try it, just in case you don`t like it.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 982
Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I`m now re-tasting it in a more scientifical way (using scaled lab tubes and smelling out of a tasting glass that is for some reasons perfect to amplify the smell of tails).

Icarus is right. I was wrong.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 456

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Does Petr make his LB? Or, like Betty, does he simply resell?"

To the best of my knowledge he used to resell the same LB as Betty but now he makes his own with the original Suisse recipe.

How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!

August Strindburg http://www.skumpy.com/eha/absinthe.html
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 459

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does Petr make his LB? Or, like Betty, does he simply resell?

As for the Fils. As I've said before, it's obviously a decent distillation. There is care and quality in the process. I don't detect any tails or overcooked herbs. His methods seem good, it's just the ingredients that I find unappealing. Does that make it bad? No. It just makes it a product I would not drink again.
Escapee from the drunk tank
mattm3 (Mattm3)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 455

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"It is sometime better to correctly use less ingredients..."

I wonder if Petr has ever tried the Moon juice? Maybe some type of colaboration between Logan and The Moon. Petr is very proud and passionate about his products, so I think he would welcome a chance to improve them.
How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!

The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 458

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've still got 25ml of the LB. I can pick out tails as soon as I open the cap.

Yes, there are some complex herbal notes... but the overall result is not "clean".

mattm3 (Mattm3)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 454

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Anyway, it seems we`ve not tasted the same thing"

Nope, from the same bottle. I think Icky was the only one who didnt like the LB. Considering the cost (about $125 a liter when you buy in quantity) I think it is great stuff.

Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 981
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

''The LB was plain with a lot of tails and the sweet hint of overcooked emp.''

I did not taste it in the sample I got. Maybe they are inconsistent from batches to batches. What was very prominent was the taste of wine spirit, something we`r not use to taste very often in commercial products.

Anyway, it seems we`ve not tasted the same thing.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 455

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I noticed my sink was draining faster...
MC Peepants (Fluffy_g)
le Vicomte
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 86

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The effects I experienced with the blanche were strong, but not unpleasant in any way. The green stuffs effects were pretty harsh for me. I ended up getting a headache not long after I drank it.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 452

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Logan fils blanche? I tasted a sample of the expensive Logan fils, and their La Bleue.

I was not impressed by either. The overpowering camphore taste of Logan Fils was enough to conclude that 50ml was a lifetime supply. The LB was plain with a lot of tails and the sweet hint of overcooked emp.

I suppose that collecting into the tails can add some herbal kick, but I drink absinthe for the taste...
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 980
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As I already said elsewhere, IMO, absinthe should provide a nice clear headed kind of drunkness, not hit you on the head with a hammer...

Wrong fucked up effects happen when someone throw the whole herb garden into a pot and make some brew out of it (like Chartreuse for exemple...).

It is sometime better to correctly use less ingredients...
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 979
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Icarus, are you talking about the Logan Fils blanche ? I`m not talking about the normal ''commercial'' Logan.
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 627

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was feeling unpleasantly confused the next morning.
C'est ma santé
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 450

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only effects I had consisted of a "wince" and a "gasp".

To each their own...
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 978
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

After those two little glass I was feeling a bit confused...

Not the most pleasant effect I`ve seen but definitively there and strong.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 453

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Wolfie! IMHO the Logan Blanche secondaries are fantastic!

Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1314

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Wolf -- It sounds like a Logan in the hand is worth 2/3 of a Jade in the bush. (Which still says a lot for Logan.)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chev. : The Jade pre-releases I tasted where a lot better but the wine spirit I taste and smell in Logan blanche reminds me of Ted's creations.

I'm not saying it is similar, not at all, but there's a definite and commendable effort on the part of Logan's craftmans to produce something good.

+ of course, Logan blanche is available right now...
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1144

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

of course!

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, add it to the guide. If you prefer, you can replace :

"Something in it reminds me of Moonman`s #19. After closer examination, it is because of the veronica"

By: "I smell Veronica, a very intrusive herb..."

...just to remove the Moonman's reference which I believe have no place in the commercial guide.
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1313

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Logan in the hand's worth two Jades in the bush?
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, now the blanche ( http://www.absinth.com/links/swiss.html )

Color : clear.
Smell neat : Very nice "grape spirit" nose.

1oz+ 1 little sugar cube.

1:1 water
No louche yet and that's a good sign. The smell is dominated by the grape spirit with a delicate sweet anis background. I have not tasted it yet but I already expect it to be very good.

More water and a thick nice louche begin to appear.

1:4.5 water

I now recognize the "Logan fils herbal signature". There's a combination of herbs in there that is not the same but similar to the brown-yellow goo reviewed up there.

It is a lot better than the green. The wine spirit base is prominent and interesting. There's also a lot of anis but not so much as to make it bad.

At 167 us$/L inc. shipping I would rate it as fine and well worth trying.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1142

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

can I add that to the guide? hehe

good review.

it'll go in the new guide that's going up in a month or so.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I finally got my hands on (free) samples of the Logan fils ''genuine'' absinthe and sample of the Logan Fils blanche.

Here`s a review of the ''genuine'' featured there : http://www.absintheworld.com/links/loganfils.html

First sight : ugly thick brown-green probably caused by a wrong coloration/aging/whatever process.

First apprehensive smell :

Not as bad as expected. Very herbal and concentrated. Something in it reminds me of Moonman`s #19. After closer examination, it is because of the veronica, a very intrusive herb to use if I may add (but this is just my opinion, veronica is even listed in some of Bedel's vintage recipe so I guess some people like it).

1 oz of absinthe + one little sugar cube.

1:1 water
Already a thick Dijon mustard colored louche. The sight is horrible but the smell is kind of impressive. Not because it smells so good but because it smells like there's A LOT of herbs in there. In fact it smells like there's a whole field of herbs in this bottle... A whole field harvested by some ugly Czech witch ;-) (it smells more strange than good).

1:4.5 water
Yellow muddy louche. There's of course a lot of anis (enough to numb the tongue) but there's also a lot of other things. It is creamy and spicy and a bit soapy. It is like a strange, heavy, fully loaded home made absinthe. It is in fact a bully. Not bad but at 227us$/bottle, I would expect more balance + a correct coloration step.

At this price it is very expensive and at a similar price I would prefer to get a bottle of Betty #2 or some other less expensive fine bootlegs ...

I'll be back later with a review of the blanche...(if I'm still alive).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page