Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View

Archive through July 16, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » TL spoons - 2 different versions? » Archive through July 16, 2003 « Previous Next »

Author Message
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1205
Registered: 1-1998

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Canadian customs are notorious. Markus doesn't ship there anymore I think.

They rifle everything...

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 112
Registered: 6-2003

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Any idea if he ships to Canada, or can ship to Canada without a great risk of my order being rifled through by customs?

To my understanding, Absinthe is now legal, but only in some parts of canada. I hear that some czech brands are appearing in parts of BC. I hear that it is only legal, in some areas, if it only contains amounts up to 2 mg of THUJONE!! per bottle. Which, like the EU regulations, is really odd, because there really isn't any way to determine the exact amount of THUJONE there is in any beverage scientifically yet. Ah, what a breakthrough is science that would be.
Do you have any problems with customs? I've never lost a package to the district down here in the US. I really don't think that most officers know what absinthe is, which makes it hard for them to recognize it enough to make a seizure. He probably does ship to canada, because to my understanding most of the time it is the importer's, not the exporter's, responsibility if or not the goods he is having delivered overseas are legal
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 111
Registered: 6-2003

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey, a junod fountain..
i'd never seen one before.
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 172
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, I remember that website from way back. I don't remember ever seeing that particular page with the glass on it though. Are they actually trying to pass it off as having been owned by TL?
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 641
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's been on this site forever:

http://l.ballarini.chez.tiscali.fr/pa.htm
C'est ma santé
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 171
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where is that glass from?
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 149
Registered: 4-2002

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Am I understanding this right - we can now order absinthe from Frenchman Phil?

Any idea if he ships to Canada, or can ship to Canada without a great risk of my order being rifled through by customs?
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1365
Registered: 11-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A great website. Thanks, Rimbaud!
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 349
Registered: 7-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote: I'm sure this is just as "genuine" as the "genuine" TL spoon.

All we need now is a "genuine" make your own "TL" stencil set......What a great late nite infomercial that would make......convert your pastis set from Jabi & Rols, to a "genuine TL set"....be great on ebay.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 170
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't even know they made an absinthe. Hmmm...
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 640
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure this is just as "genuine" as the "genuine" TL spoon.

C'est ma santé
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1204
Registered: 1-1998

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

also, have we discussed the Muse Verte Absinthe 68?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frenchmanltd/final/aa.htm

I don't remember ... anyone tried it?

I'm confused. hehe.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 169
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just ordered #13, which is the version that has the monogram that is closer to TL's. I also ordered #2 & #14. Frenchman Phil f**king rules!! I may order some Pernod absinthe from him as well, just for the sheer hell of it.
Donnie Darko (Bescançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Bescançon

Post Number: 13
Registered: 7-2003
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just received the #9 TL repro today. It's flawless and an incredible bargain. As are all his other spoons, and the shipping is speedy...
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 168
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frenchmanltd/final/order.htm
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1363
Registered: 11-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rimbaud wrote:
"I was recently on Frenchman Phil's website perusing his repro spoons,..."

Rimbaud, you have me very confused. I thought that Frenchman Phil closed down his website a while ago. Could you please give us the address of this website you were recently looking at? Thanks!

Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 105
Registered: 6-2003

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

This was due to people ageing the copies and passing them off as the real deal.

I heard the same thing.
I think that just the letters "TL" were just very slightly
changed. The real Toulouse Lautrec spoon
is in MC Delaheye's museum.
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 167
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it was LDF, why wouldn't Liqueurs de France be selling it along with the other spoon repros they offer?
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 166
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it's supposed to be the HTL mongram that Lautrec used to sign most of his work. It's missing the top of the "T" though.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 484
Registered: 4-2003

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the real deal.

A whole other topic for debate.
Escapee from the drunk tank
simon pedersen (Simon)
le Vicomte
Username: Simon

Post Number: 51
Registered: 7-2002

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I heard it changed to LDF in order to distinguish between the real rare and prised spoon and the copies. This was due to people ageing the copies and passing them off as the real deal.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 481
Registered: 4-2003

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

LDF monogram.

I'm sure Phil could fill us in on the details...
Escapee from the drunk tank
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 164
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's no TL spoon being offered for sale on Liqueur de France's website...
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 479
Registered: 4-2003

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One's the LDF version. It's also the one more commonly seen for sale.
Escapee from the drunk tank
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 163
Registered: 12-2001

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was recently on Frenchman Phil's website perusing his repro spoons, when I noticed that he sells 2 different versions of the famed "Toulouse Lautrec" absinthe spoon: one has the original monogram on it, while the second version has the altered one. Anyone know why there are two versions? I mean, who wouldn't buy the "real" one over the "fake" one?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page