Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 16, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Un Emile Varieties » Archive through July 16, 2003 « Previous Next »

Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Unfortunately, most of the time, so much star anis (oil) is used that it produce a tongue numbing ... anisette.

.... and, from what we've seen, most of the
undistilled, spanish macerates that we've seen
have all been way too high in anise and star
anise, and really very little else. The louche
might be nice and crystal white, but the taste
is almost painfully biting, and tongue numbing.
I think star anise also numbs the throat to a certain
degree. I also think that there is a possibility that
the Emiles, at least Emile Pernot, contains
a small amount of star anise, which although I might
not be able to detect by smell, I can definitely feel
it just slightly in the texture. Yes, I think that it does
add that slight "punch" that you speak of, but not
to an oversignificant degree.
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wouldn't, but you could always add anise oil to it. That would improve the louche.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Star anis must be used as a "spice" and not as the main anethol source. If it is used wisely, it can actually add to the balance of a well designed absinthe. I've tasted amazing home brew made with some star anis. When used in limited quantity, it just add some "punch" to the overall product without numbing the tongue.

Unfortunately, most of the time, so much star anis (oil) is used that it produce a tongue numbing ... anisette.

Now to go back to the main subject, I also believe the regular Emile68 louche poorly.

Not only anis produce louche but also other herbs in it (even if anis is the most louchy herb in absinthe).

The process can also make a big difference on the louche (and on the taste of course).

Anyway, if Emile Pernot's sons made it that way, it's probably because they want it to be that way (for various reasons that *may* not have anything to do with the taste of the product). We'r talking about professional distillers here with generations of experience. I would be inclined to believe they know what they are doing.

In the end, it's a question of taste...and a question of not having much choice on today's market. You like it or you don't but at least it is a genuine distilled absinthe offered at a reasonable price... (And if you prefer more louche, you can aways opt for the Emile Blanche, which is IMO a very nice absinthe).

Donnie Darko (Bescançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Bescançon

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> said maybe 'cause I meant maybe. Now go get your fuckin' shine box

some good Emile, eh?

Seriously though, a little star anise is good, but it destroys a balanced flavour way too easily. You already got Anise, Fennel, & probably angelica. Put in one more licoricey flavour and it might as well be an anisette.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 162

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I said maybe 'cause I meant maybe. Now go get your fuckin' shine box!
le Duc

Post Number: 102

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

And another thing...how does Francois Guy absinthe louche in comparison to Un Emile?

F. Guy, while it's louche isn't nearly as thick as say, Jade, does have a very cloudy, milky white louche. Yes, the louche does come on very fast. But who says that one isn't allowed to use star anise in his absinthe? Star anise is great, as long as too much of it isn't used. Too much results in that sharp biting taste, like you have in absinthes like Montana. Un Emile's louche is more transparent, and takes on much more of a green tinge upon the adding of sugar and cold water. I must say that I am a fan of both brands, however, I will admit that F. Guy's louche competes favorably with that of Un Emile 68, or even Sapin. But if you'd notice, Un Emile 68 neat is much less pale green than F. Guy. F. Guy just seems much more olive in complection than Emile, while Emile seems almost clear. I've notice some sarcasm on this thread whilst people speak of Emile's louche. I think that I can definitely say that Emile louches quite well, given it's neat color.
>----walleye--/*>
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2099

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fuck you mean "maybe"?
The Mayor has spoken.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
le Duc

Post Number: 161

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"It looks just like the louche seen in Degas' painting of the two absinthe drinkers."

Sorry, I just don't see it. Emile 68's "louche" reminds me of the semi-louche I used to get with Sebor back in '98. Maybe I'll try what LL says...
le Vicomte

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Rimmer,
Once the sugar cube is done, replace it w/an ice cube.

Hrmmm...
The regular emile really isn't oversweetened at all to my tastes by a small domino. But then again, maybe my sweet tooth has developed such an overtolerance to sugar that I can hardly taste it, anyway. I use a carafe that used to have wine in it (Paul Masson I think, lol), which I previously devoured very fast to have access to my new decanter/carafe for absinthe. I really don't do anything fancy. I just use maybe 10 cubes of ice and cold tap water in it. I don't put it in the freezer or anything. I like Un Emile's louche just the way it is. It looks just like the louche seen in Degas' painting of the two absinthe drinkers.
>----walleye--/*>
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2094

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rimmer,
Once the sugar cube is done, replace it w/an ice cube.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Donnie Darko (Bescançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Bescançon

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>>>how does Francois Guy absinthe louche in comparison to Un Emile?

F. Guy has a much thicker instant louche than Emile (Star Anise I presume?). I revisited Guy recently, and didn't find it nearly as pleasant as when I first tried it. Emile is raising the bar...
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
le Duc

Post Number: 156

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And another thing...how does Francois Guy absinthe louche in comparison to Un Emile?
le Duc

Post Number: 154

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, I almost forgot...the 'secondary effects' are very pleasant. I felt floaty, yet extremely lucid. These are actually the only effects, since I don't really feel the alcohol after drinking 2 glasses.
le Duc

Post Number: 153

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used the old kitchen faucet drip method. I let it drip very slowly, but maybe it wasn't cold enough. However, when I had Jade's Nouvelle Orleans prototype(which I believe, like Un Emile, had no star anise either), I had no problem getting a nice opaque louche by just dripping cold water from a carafe. Un Emile seems to take a lot of effort to even get a halfway decent louche. This is something they need to work on, IMHO.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 473

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

-"Unfortunately, because of the illicit nature of the product, the quality and consistency cannot be gauranteed"

That quote was in reference to AUTHENTIC SUISSE LA BLEUE not in reference to LDF's La Blanche. I'm sure their product is very consistent.

Escapee from the drunk tank
le Vicomte

Post Number: 93

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Colder water, and a slower drip, both always seem to stir up the anethol more in your glass.
>----walleye--/*>
MC Peepants (Fluffy_g)
le Vicomte
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 87

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A really slow drip also seems to improve the bouquet and flavor a bit, as opposed to a quicker drizzle.
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 148

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was initially disappointed with the louche in my Sapin, and then I finally mastered the drip method. I cram my carafe with ice cubes, and then put water in it. I let it chill in the fridge for twenty minutes. Afterwards, I drip (and the key is drip -not drizzle, not pour slowly- but drip) the water over a sugar cube at a painstakingly slow pace (and I do mean painstaking). My reward is a beautiful louche that is almost completely opaque.
le Vicomte

Post Number: 90

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way, I *do* experience some secondaries with 68, although they are shortlived.
>----walleye--/*>
le Vicomte

Post Number: 89

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just sucked back on a glass of Emile 68 myself.. yum.
:P

Anyhow, I am not really *not* a seasoned Emile Blanche drinker myself. I've only drank two glasses from a single glass flask of the stuff before.
For those seasoned with this variation,
has anyone here noticed any differences in
tastes between bottles before? A quote from
their website almost startled me when I first read it.

quote:

Unfortunately, because of the illicit nature of the product, the quality and consistency cannot be gauranteed

>----walleye--/*>
le Duc

Post Number: 152

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, first impression of the regular Un Emile 68: 1) Smells good. I detect no "fishy" smell as is widely reported here. 2) Louches very poorly (at roughly 3:1 ratio). This is a disappointment. I heard the louche was thin, but I was still expecting more. 3)Tastes very good. Very drinkable and refreshing, although not extremely complex. Over all, a very good absinthe. The best commercial brand I have yet to try. Of course when put up against the Jade sample I had about a year ago, this stuff isn't even in the same ballpark. If they did something about the louche, it would bump it up a notch in my book. Now I'm off to try the other 2 varieties....
le Duc

Post Number: 150

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just got my Un Emile 3 flask sampler delivered to me at work. I've never been so happy to see a courier in all my life. I will post a review of some sort after I indulge. Yes, I know everyone here has probably been drinking this stuff for months now, but GODDAMNIT I'M EXCITED!!! I haven't had good absinthe since I tried a Jade prototype over a year ago, and I'm curious to see how Emile measures up...
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 210

Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i'm with kalllisti regarding the emiles, tho i did have quite a few the other night was was pleasantly floaty. could have just been my good mood reacting with the alcohol tho :D
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1183

Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just realized I hadn't put reviews of the Blanche & Sapin in the guide, they'll be going in the new one.

But I have to say those two are my favorite, as fine as Emile 68 is. The blanche is very crispy clean. And the sapin has that little something extra (the sapin part) that I find unique.

I've only ever experienced secondaries with one of Ted's eeeearly early samples. So I cannot give an opinion there. I've had some other fine stuff, but either it is such small quantities that there isn't a chance for 2ndaries or we've guzzled it, like at the Nola Gathering, and got way drunk before we could notice them.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
le Duc

Post Number: 141

Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Howdy folks! I just ordered the three flask sampler of the Un Emile absinthes, after realizing that the wait for Jade may be longer than previously expected. What I would like to know, since I just recently came back to the forum after an extended absence, is what are your impressions of each variety of Un Emile in regards to taste, louche and (dare I say it?) secondary effects. I understand that this may have been discussed before, but like I said, I've been away for a while...thanks!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page