Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 16, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Lemercier Abisinthe » Archive through July 16, 2003 « Previous Next »

Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 107

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

If it's just your run of the mill tech and education students... better bring the matches!

I'm sure Markus likes his bar enough
to realize that the matches are best left at home..
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 483

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If they're art students you're golden.

If it's just your run of the mill tech and education students... better bring the matches!
Escapee from the drunk tank
Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey man - you're really good :-))

No, it's a students Bar with an excellent Whiskey selection and one of my best Bar customers.

I like the idea of doing a kind of media presentation, some slides maybe and tell them about the history and everything. From time to time a sample. We'll see how it works.
Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 482

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it's an upscale bar, and clients with discriminating palates you might be able to sell the sugar and water drip routine. Just be sure to jack the price up by 200%, and make the drip reealllllly slow. Make them wait for it!
le Duc

Post Number: 163

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Life is just a show :-))

Quite a lot of people here are more into Hill's, Mata Hari, Habsburg etc. Drinking it pure on ice!! It's just interesting because of 70% Alc. Sad Sad Sad!

I'm presently preparing a special evening at a very popular Bar to introduce Absinthe (good Absinthe) to these guys... let's see if I can turn them to the good stuff!
Markus
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 480

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unfortunately Markus is right.

It's all about show and flash. If I were to attmept to "market" absinthe at my bar, the ritual of sugar and a slow water drip would never catch on. It's too slow and boring for the average dimwitted bar clientel. They want something entertaining as well as alcoholic. Flames, green booze, mystery and inhaling foul vapor is just what they need.

Fortunately for us the fire ritual involves really crappy absinthe. So at least their not depleting the supply of good stuff.

Anyone for firing up a shot of Pernod fils?
le Duc

Post Number: 161

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even in France Absinthe isn't that known. I find it quite understandable, that Lemercier uses the fire-ritual. It just looks impressive to people who don't know much about Absinthe. It's a marketing thing, nothing else.

I'm also telling my Bar customers to use the spoon, sugar and fire - it just makes people look at it, makes them curious and boy you can do anything with Hill's or Ulex :-)) We all know that this crap can hardly be called Absinthe.

As a vendor, I have to accept the demands of my customers - and when these customers can't sell Un Emile or Guy to their customers, but Hill's and Ulex works - I have to sell it! It's a big difference if you are into Absinthe as a hobby or a profession.
Markus
le Duc

Post Number: 104

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

It is suprising that a French producer would put the Czech method on their bottle.

They're just jealous because the cafes are making more than the producers are. May they are burn!
>----walleye--/*>
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is suprising that a French producer would put the Czech method on their bottle. I mean how many high quality drinks recomend that you set them on fire before drinking.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1199

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks ya'll!

I'll put all that in the guide. including that you're carrying it Markus.

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
le Duc

Post Number: 160

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have also been "forced" to taste the 72% bohemian style with the "fire ritual". But they would surely also let me taste it without the sugar - fire - show... In the end nobody forces you to drink Absinthe in this or that way!

I know the 45% version for quite a while now, but was never really convinced. When I was in Pontarlier, someone let me taste the 72% and I thought, this I must diretly compare to the 45%. Done it 2 days later in Fougerolles and wow! What a difference. I've already sampled several sorts which come in two different strengths like Deva, Mari Mayans, Un Emile etc. Regardless of quality, none of them differenciate so much.

It's interesting to see, that the old "competition" between Pontarlier and Fougerolles is starting again. It must have been similar in the early days. Let's see if there's going to be Abisinthe from Fougerolles at the Absinthiades in Pontarlier in October. I'm quite sure that there it.

I don't want to missused the forum for advertising - so everybody interested should have a look at my website. I'm already taking preorders... enaugh sayed now!
Markus
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 485

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All right! Thanks Mr. Breaux!

Obviously this absinthe has both strengths and weaknesses, but if it's comparable to the F. Guy and Pernot products I'll happily try it once Markus has it available.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Tabreaux

Post Number: 107

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I very recently made a trip to Fougerolles, where I was able to secure a bottle of the 72 degree Lemercier "Abisinthe" for review.

This absinthe is packaged in a 70cL yellow glass bottle. The labeling exhibits an antique motif, and claims the product as "Abisinthe", which is done to suit French labeling laws. In fine print just below this can be found "spiritueux a base de plantes d'absinthe". While the main label seductively claims 'ancestral recette originale sans sucre', the back label delivers a sobering slap by describing how to properly prepare the drink, albeit inexplicably (and inexcusably) using the Czech flaming ritual. <snort>

The maker claims the product is distilled, although it is unclear if the product is distilled as a whole or an assemblage of distillates.

Upon removing the cap, once senses a sharp alcoholic odor accompanied by a light aroma of anise. The liquor itself is almost clear, and tasting it neat reveals a good bit of heat along with a distinct flavor of anise up front, followed by bitter woody notes. When diluted with water, the liquid louches moderately with heavy gradient lines. The taste of the drink is rather light and sweet, and the familiar mild acridity of star anise is prevalent.

In conclusion, the appearance, texture and flavor of this absinthe bears an curious similarity to the previously established regional competition (Emile Pernot and F. Guy) which is almost certainly no coincidence. To further this thought, a cheap 'imposter' absinthe has recently surfaced in this region, which features the same exact bottle as Emile Pernot and a blatant ripoff of F. Guy's labeling. Curiously enough, this tasteless fake does not reveal the name of its maker on the label (out of shame no doubt), but I have my suspicions as to its origin.

Ah well, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
le Vicomte

Post Number: 91

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It seems as though they did a pretty good job as far as the bottle goes, from the looks of things. The shape is definitely an eyecatcher, like F Guy's bottle.
>----walleye--/*>
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1353

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm glad that you had a good experience, Georgie. Unfortunately, it's never worked for me. Mind you, I've always written the e-mails in French, and my name is as French as you can get.

Maybe I should try writing in Franglais, and tell them that my name is John Smith.

le Vicomte

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

"I'm assuming my lack of french is probably the problem..."

The problem is that you wrote to the French!

Do French companies ever answer e-mail?

Once I emailed Pontarlier Anise, asking
if it is true or not that they used GMO wormwood.
All they emailed me back, was a response similar to
the following: "Dear American Person,
If you must have Absinthe (Wormwood) in the
USA, you should contact Betty Wittels...".
It went on to go as far as to even giving me her email address. They didn't answer my question, however they did respond, and it didn't look like an autoresponse to me. Although, they probably respond the same way to all american enquiries about their products. Oh well.
>----walleye--/*>
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 151

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is your opinion of this product, Markus?
le Duc

Post Number: 159

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Markus
le Duc

Post Number: 158

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

soon available ...

Markus
Markus
Eric Mathew Przygocki (Eric)
Mousquetaire
Username: Eric

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti,

I will try to put together a coherent review as soon as I can. Right now it is the middle of festival season for my band and my touring schedule is very hectic. I will also try to review La muse verte 68% as well
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1352

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I'm assuming my lack of french is probably the problem..."

The problem is that you wrote to the French!

Do French companies ever answer e-mail?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 846

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It came to my attention last winter, when I saw it called a distilled absinthe (in a written but as yet unpublished account).

I didn't include it in my own list of such products elsewhere on this site, because I can't say one way or the other. I haven't tried it.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1195

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be needing reviews etc for the new guide, if anyone would like to expand on it...

I tried contacting the company for info, but heard nothing. I'm assuming my lack of french is probably the problem...

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Eric Mathew Przygocki (Eric)
Mousquetaire
Username: Eric

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I first tasted it while in Paris a couple of months ago. they have a 45% version with a green label and a 72% with a blue. very clean tasting, I believe that they are distilled. the 45 is quite similar to F Guy, albeit more simple in flavor. The 72 has similar qualities to the Un-Emile 68.
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 148

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone ever heard of this stuff?

http://www.lemercier.com/actualite.htm#

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page