Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 14, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe Rating Guide » Archive through July 14, 2003 « Previous Next »

MC Peepants (Fluffy_g)
le Vicomte
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the idea of different colored fairies for oil mix/ distilled distinction. Maybe a fairy could be cut in half for ones that are somewhere in-between a 3 and 4 rating.
3 and 1/2 fairies.
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 450

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

pernod 'pastis 51' is a pastis.
it is now made in marseille (and carries the 'pastis de marseille' appellation) and seems more popular there than ricard, which is quite surprising...it is certainly better than 'pernod anise' of which you can see dusty, barely tapped bottles in french cafés as no one orders it anymore...more of a 'cooking' anise as opposed to a drinking one...
Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Vicomte
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 86

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On the Pernod 51 bottle, the first banner says Liquor d' Anise.
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 484

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Pernod say that their product is actually a "liqueur d'anis", not a pastis. I know we've been calling it a pastis here, but it doen't have any liquorice in it. That doesn't make it any better.

Really nice rating system! Great job, Kallisti.

I can't help but notice, though, that rating things by category only seems to work up to a point. None of the mixed/macerated absinthes has a rating higher than 3 fairies. Is this because none of them really impress any of us anymore? Maybe that's true, but if we follow the logic of the ratings system, the best absinthes *of that category* should still get a 4 or 5.

Once you get a taste for the distilled absinthes, an oil mix will taste much less impressive by comparison. But Larsand is still really good for what it is. I'd give it a 4, considering that it's probably the best in its category. That doesn't mean it's the equal of Emile Blanche or even Segarra.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I was just looking at the http://www.feeverte.net/idx.html page, the other page giving the rating system wouldn't open for me yesterday when I made my post. So I didn't see the scale and just assumed that it was to 4 stars.

I'm talking about the Pernod pastis, it's the worst tasting pastis that I've tasted so I would have only given it one star, unless you've tasted a worse pastis. It has too much star anise, and too much sugar. That's the only thing I can taste in it.

I agree with Georgie, I also kind of like Kubler. If they just get rid of that off taste it has, it would really be good.
Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 76

Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I would rate the Emile blanche higher than the regular or sapin and would put a more complete description of the rating.

For exemple, here`s an exemple for the distilled products :

* = crap full of tails/bad alcohol... (kubbler)
** = unidimentional or good effort lacking balance worth trying. (Segarra or the expensive Logan fils )
*** = well done absinthe without being excellent (Emile 68 regular, F.Guy)
**** = Very nice and pleasurable absinthe (Emile blanche)
***** = unforgettable experience (No commercial available so far).

I don't know, wolfie.
I agree with you on some notes,
but I tend to sort of like Yves' Kubler
at least above the Czech brands.
It's at least deserving the same rank
amongst most of the spanish, like Montana
and Slerpiss, at least at 3 stars..
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*>
Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Kalli!

i didn't even THINK about THAT!!
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would rate the Emile blanche higher than the regular or sapin and would put a more complete description of the rating.

For exemple, here`s an exemple for the distilled products :

* = crap full of tails/bad alcohol... (kubbler)
** = unidimentional or good effort lacking balance worth trying. (Segarra or the expensive Logan fils )
*** = well done absinthe without being excellent (Emile 68 regular, F.Guy)
**** = Very nice and pleasurable absinthe (Emile blanche)
***** = unforgettable experience (No commercial available so far).
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1347

Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You could make it a 6-fairy scale -- with no absinthes meriting 6 fairies (at present).
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1181

Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

:P

It *is* a five star scale. Just no one got 5 stars, or fairies as it were.

And as for Pernod getting 2 stars, do you mean the new pernod absinthe, or just the pastis? The pastis is graded within the pastis category, therefore it can be considered a fairly low rating. The pernod absinthe I haven't tried myself. But figure if Hill's is a 1 then anything with anise in it must at least be a 2. hehee.

That's my theory anyways.

And as for the lovely Emiles, they *were* the only absinthes to get 4 stars. Pretty good in my estimation.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with most of the ratings, but I would probably have used a 5 point scale for more distinction. An example would be to put Segarra and Francois guy ahead of the 3 star absinthes but still not quite as good as the Emile 68. The way it is now I think I would give those two 4 stars because the are definitely superior than any of the 3 star absinthes. I personally think Emile derserve the distinction of having a higher rating than all the rest.

You gave Pernod Pastis 2 stars? You are far to kind.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1179

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh! Your browser is resizing the image.
If download it and look in a windows viewer it don't do that

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

le Duc

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's not so much the size but the broken or interrupted effect. Takes some getting used to.
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1178

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm aiming for a post honeymoon rollout. Perhaps mid-august if we're lucky.

Sorry about the font size, I use it everywhere. I keep it small because most of the pages have SO MUCH info on them it's hard to cram it in there as it is.

le Duc

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The screenshot is NICE! The type face is not to my liking. Too thin and funky for me (I am 20/15!). JMHO!
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
Mighty Fine Young Man (Lediablevert)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti, any guesses as to when
the new reviews page might appear?
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*>
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1342

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1174

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aaaaah! I love you.

Thank you.

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1340

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti, you could simply change the color of the "mosquito" fairies.
I.e., yellow fairies for the macerates, green fairies for distilled and off-white fairies for pastis.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1172

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

actually, I was thinking that last night while reading it.

how about a little oil bottle for macerates, a flask for distilled and a little star anise seed for pastis. heh.

Bescançon (Bescançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Bescançon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Makes sense to me, and the screenshot is beautiful. The only suggestion I have would be to visually distinguish the fairy ratings between oil/macerates & distilled, otherwise Emile 45 & NS 70 would have the same rating, which could be confusing for those new to Absinthe. Maybe just make the oil mix fairies smaller or maybe a halo around the distilled fairies?
"Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."--Holden Caulfield
mattm3 (Mattm3)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 457

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Excellent! Superb! The rating system is a great addition.
How sweet life can be when the misery of ones existance is blurred by slight intoxication!!!

August Strindburg http://www.skumpy.com/eha/absinthe.html
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 136

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the idea. The screenshot sure is purty!
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2085

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good job woman.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1171

Posted on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As some of you know I've been working on a total overhaul of the site. One of the major subjects being the guide, and the most frequently asked being a rating system for brands.

I bring this up because Wolfgang proposed something very similar to this one in the Louchelounge and I thought it would behoove us to be on the same page. I've shown it to a few key people who have agreed that it is generally fair. Please peruse and give input, all will be considered.

The Ratings Guide:

http://www.feeverte.net/rating.html

The current ratings:

http://www.feeverte.net/idx.html

GRANTED, at the moment the ratings were arbitrarily arrived at by me, based on a personal perceived general consensus of the forum. If you beg to differ with my opinions or wish to vote on a brand that is unrated, please by all means post here!

I am trying desperately to get the new site completed. But real life has intervened and it may be put on hold for a little while yet.

And here's your treat, a screenshot of the new guide:

http://www.sepulchritude.com/pix/misc/screenshot6.jpg

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page