Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 18, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Thujone??? » Archive through July 18, 2003 « Previous Next »

21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 192

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Something like that. Actually, I just found out that there is a version of Absente sold in Europe that can be considered an absinthe, which has a slightly different label. I don't know which one you had...
JM Taylor (Jmt)
Paysan
Username: Jmt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the tip Rimbaud... I'll go for the samplers.
Absente is not absinthe because it contains petite wormwood, and not the regular one, is that right?
le Duc

Post Number: 189

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"But, I might as well let you know,
that it was known for people to drink laudanum
in their absinthe during that period."

I have never heard of anyone doing that, and I have read everything I can get my hands on re: absinthe over the last 5 years. Where did you read this?

"Most actors and musicians are idiots."

That's an extremely ignorant statement.

"The first absinthes I've tasted are Pere Kermann and Absente"

Absente is NOT, I repeat, NOT absinthe. Order some Emile right away. I suggest the 3 flask sampler, which costs slightly less than 1 full size bottle, but you get to try all 3 varieties without breaking the bank.

JM Taylor (Jmt)
Paysan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah! And did you guys check out the link to that FAQ at Logan's? Check out the picture under the section, "Are there any other psychoactive elements present in Absinthe ?"
Who the hell is that guy with a flat top??? Is he an example of guy under psychoactive effects? Hehehe!
JM Taylor (Jmt)
Paysan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all your advice! I will avoid buying Sebor or Logan. The first absinthes I've tasted are Pere Kermann and Absente, as well as Ricard and Pernod pastis. So far, these are the only ones I see which are available here. I was thinking of buying Emile 68, as I've noticed that it is very highly recommended. These things are expensive, so I'm glad I did some research here before wasting my money on bad absinthes such as Sebor and Logan.
I myself came upon absinthe through movies. When I was younger, I saw an old film with an absinthe scene which sparked my curiousity. Because no one here really knows absinthe, it took a year or two for me to find out what it was called!
In case you're wondering, I live in the Philippines. There is a bar here which opened two months ago called "Absinth" (yes, it's the spelled the Czech way). Apparently, when they opened, they served absinthe the traditional way. However, they stopped doing that and have been serving it using the fire-spoon method because I guess it makes the drink more interesting for customers since nobody really knows anything about absinthe over here. They still have the absinthe spoons, and I always ask them to bring out a sugar cube, but the waiters always say they have none. Too bad.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, they shouldn't. Most actors and musicians are idiots.
Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 175

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyway these actors and musicians should know better about Absinthe. I know quite a lot of people who came across Absinthe first in some films like Dracula (a very nice scene) or From Hell.
Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 174

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But Laudanum maybe was the ultimate shot...

Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 131

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I rather liked From Hell, but yes,
the czech fire ritual is perhaps a tad unexcusable.
But, I mean, on second
thought, I guess the producers read about it on
Sebor's website. But you can't blame them.
It's one of the first hits you get on Lycos
or Yahoo, I bet.
But, I might as well let you know,
that it was known for people to drink laudanum
in their absinthe during that period.
I guess the anise masked the taste
of the stuff. Laudanum probably tasted
awful.
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
le Duc

Post Number: 187

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Logan Fils. What a fucking joke. I'm sure Marilyn Manson will be drinking it. I was just watching the absinthe documentary on the FROM HELL dvd today, which I haven't seen in a while. What the hell is Johnny Depp doing to that absinthe??? First he pours the abs in the glass, then he pours laudanum on the sugar cube which is resting on the spoon, then he lights the absinthe on fire, dumps the cube into the absinthe, stirs it around and drinks it. Who the fuck did the research on this picture???
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 489

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's the Suisse Vicks method.
Escapee from the drunk tank
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The question the Logan FAQ didn't answer is why, in spite of the half accurate info they made up on the spot for the FAQ, does their absinthe still taste like shit? Gee, maybe it's all that trippy ass thujone that makes it taste like essence of Old Shoe...

--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
le Duc

Post Number: 129

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice brandy glass manson has there..
>----walleye--/*>
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1213

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OW! From the makers of Logan Fils...

http://www.absinth.com/links/faq.html

After just receiving an email from these folks I went to check out their site for the first time in a looong time.

Scary FAQ.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1371

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's what MM thinks about Sebor:

Manson
le Duc

Post Number: 121

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Forumites:
THUJONE!!!

Oh, and JMT:

Hopefully you've tried other absinthes other than just the modern Pernod 68 or their pastis, and Sebor. Although, I must tell you, that's where most of us began, or, in other words, became absinthe devirginized.
It's been a long road for most to find
some absinthe commercially that actually
tastes good. Have you tried Un Emile 68 or Pernot?
Or maybe Francois Guy? If you haven't, those are some brands and absinthes that I would recommend to someone new to the drink. before they go wasting tons of $ on terrible Czech and Spanish brands. Lasala and Segarra aren't too bad, though. But to begin with, as I said earlier, I'd start with some of the best french that's out there right now, like the Un Emiles or F. Guy.

You can grab a bottle of Un Emile over at

http://www.absintheonline.com/

I recommend their 68, blanche, sapin, and their pernot absinthes. Blanche is, of course, a clear absinthe that louches white with cold water.

Markus Lion sells F. Guy and some of the better spanish brands that I mentioned to you over at

http://www.lafeeverte.de/

Of course, you can find all of this in the guide, but those are just some personal recommendations. Good luck with finding some good liquor.
>----walleye--/*>
Traineraz (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 942
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

NOOOOOO! Not a resurgence of the

NASTY SEBOR STRONG!!!

You weren't thinkin' about DRINKIN' that, wuz ya . . . Scuze me whilst I vomit . . . (I've had the stuff)

By the way, drinking large quantities of any alcoholic beverage with a high alcohol content (as absinthes do) won't cause hallucinations. It will cause alcohol poisoning, followed by death.

But, getting back to the Nasty Sebor Strong, I DID finally find a positive review!

The European edition of the latest Helpful Household Hints from Heloise suggests:

"Don't spend exorbitant sums hiring a plumber when your sink backs up. Half a cup of Sebor Strong will eat through that clog before you can say, "Flaming Sugar Cube!"

"Chewing gum stuck on your floor? Whip out the trusty Sebor Strong again. Moisten a cotton ball with it, and rub gently. The gum will come right off. Don't try this on synthetic flooring; it will dissolve vinyl, and may damage laminate (e.g. Pergo) floors. Also, only use it as a drain cleaner with metal pipes. It will dissolve PVC drainpipes faster than the clog!

"Be sure to wear gloves when working with Sebor Strong, as its toxins may cause severe burns and can, indeed, be absorbed through the skin. Use only in well-ventilated areas."
He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.

-- Thus Spake Zoboomafoo
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1121

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Kallisti mentioned in her review that "contrary to popular opinion, the modern "Pernod" is NOT Absinthe without the wormwood." So if modern Pernod does contain wormwood... why is it classified as a Pastis in the buyer's guide?

She wasn't saying that modern Pernod pastis has wormwood, but that there are other differences between absinthe and Pernod pastis in ADDITION to the lack of wormwood.

(To confuse matters, Pernod is now making absinthe again as well, in Europe...)
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1207

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marketing aside, Martin Sebor Absinth Strong is a FRAUD and a rip off artist.

There is no association with Sebor Absinth, the "Strong" is made in mexico and is reportedly gawdawful. Not only that but I have gotten numerous complaints that people have sent their money and never received a product.

Just repeat after me "ABSINTH STRONG IS WRONG" and you'll be fine.

Thujone claims are still a marketing gimmick, but most legit sellers won't claim hallucinations, or magical medical cures. Hucksters will.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 353

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are different Pernod products, Pastis & their Modern take on Absinthe.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
JM Taylor (Jmt)
Paysan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marketing huh? Yes, I guess marketing can be quite misleading most of the time, I just thought that saying that thujone did cause hallucinations was extremely misleading...
But I have to disagree about blackjack's remark on expensive cars... Expensive cars DO make you look attractive, especially when you're driving it!
One more thing... though it might be a little off topic. Kallisti mentioned in her review that "contrary to popular opinion, the modern "Pernod" is NOT Absinthe without the wormwood." So if modern Pernod does contain wormwood... why is it classified as a Pastis in the buyer's guide?
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 643

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gone are the days of read the archives.
C'est ma santé
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1118

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

but people who actually PRODUCE absinthe still claims that it does! What's the deal with that?

It's called "marketing". They'll also tell you that owning an expensive car makes you more attractive and that Taco Bell sells Mexican food.

And you'll find that the quality of an absinthe is usually inversely proportional to the amount their marketing talks about thujone.
DYP (Deadinplastic)
Paysan
Username: Deadinplastic

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think you will find an answer to it except if you read more and more every day and taste, taste, taste everyday. Thujone is used way too much as a marketing gimmick. Just like placing an R rating on a movie.

edit: If you follow what I wrote, very soon you will be an alcoholic. So exercise measure when tasting on daily basis.
JM Taylor (Jmt)
Paysan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm fairly new to the absinthe world, though for years I have been looking for it. Unfortunately, where I come from nobody knows anything about it. I forgot about it for a year or two and recently I figured I can do research on the Internet! (Duh!) Anyway, I didn't really know there was so much on the Net about absinthe... a lot of my questions were answered, and just last week I was finally able to taste some commercial products I didn't even know existed.
The thing that really whacks me out is that everyone who knows a lot of absinthe seems to know that the thujone in it will not cause hallucinations... but people who actually PRODUCE absinthe still claims that it does! What's the deal with that? I saw this site where they sell Martin Sebor Czech Absinth Strong... and he claims that drinking it in large doses could cause hallucinations and ecstasy. Does Martin Sebor really believe that? Does anyone know how much thujone it really has? And what about Logan 100? If it really does have 100mg, can the thujone have some effects at that level? From what I understand from something Ted Breaux said, it isn't even all about the thujone, but about all the herbs mixed together in a balance... I hope someone can clarify this for me. Thanks!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page