Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 21, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » TL spoons - 2 different versions? » Archive through July 21, 2003 « Previous Next »

Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 154

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is there such thing as taste notes for vintage Oxygenee?
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 629
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I ordered some CDs from Germany years back, and not only was the package opened"

Germany (and Italy) used to be the major sources of bootleg CDs. Not crappy "pirate" CDs, but very nice unreleased live concerts and studio outtakes. Through a copyright loophole in Europe, recordings over 20 years old could be pressed without permission, but they were illegal in the U.S. I got tons of 'em.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1124

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That would be particularly good for categorizing the anise-free German and Czech products.
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 458

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

it has artemisia absinthium and sugar and is not distilled.
is it absinthe?
this question has been pounded to death on this forum...for purists, it is not...but then again under this strict definition, 98% of all 'absinthes' on the commercial market are not...
maybe there should be a category 'alcoholic wormwood beverage'?
simon pedersen (Simon)
le Vicomte
Username: Simon

Post Number: 59

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whatever it is it doesn't go down my throat easily. But like Marc, i would also like to know whether it is or isn't.
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1377

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter, do you (or does anyone you know) think that modern Oxygenée is absinthe? This isn't a trick question: I'd really like to know.
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's good to know French law does allow 68% absinthe without sugar. Wonder how come Pernod, Oxygenee, Libertine, and all those >45% "absinthe"'s have sugar? Guess to make their stuff taste like sweet crap instead of bitter crap?
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 455

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the sad part is that spiriteux aux plantes d'absinthe CAN actually be absinthe, but usually isn't...it is a legal requirement in france to use that term on the label, not just a phrase made up by worthless manufacturers...
le Duc

Post Number: 151

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pierre, exactly.
Just as "Spirtuax Au Extraits D'Plants L'absinthe",
and excuse the bad french spelling and all,
is not even technically absinthe. Just as it isn't an
anisette. It's just a liquor that's made with the
extracts of the herbs that goes into absinthe.
That just leaves what's in the bottle up to basic
guesswork. I love legal loopholes.
>----walleye--/*>
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 454

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>As far as the 68% stuff goes, I believe it's legal, but only if it contains added sugar.

-no that is not true...also, la muse verte 68°-which is a very good oil-mix, does not contain sugar.

>If I remember correctly (I read it here a couple years back), French law states any liqueur type drink over 45% has to have added sugar to be legally sold in France.

-you do remember correctly but the information given (unfortunately collaborated by me) was essentially incorrect...

ALL anise-based liquors can only be 45° max. in france...spiriteux aux plants d'absinthe are not considered anises, even though they have a considerable amount of anise in them.

>That's why Emile's line (sans 45) is for export only, cause they don't add sugar.

-no, it's not...the 68° line is not sold in france because of an exclusive agreement with Liqueurs de France Ltd. (who are responsible for its existence in the first place) as the sole distributor of the 68° line (and not the distillery)...french wine-shops and cafés very much want to stock the 68°, and are now put on a waiting list should it be released in france...
le Duc

Post Number: 148

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THUJONE!!!!
>----walleye--/*>
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it distilled or an oil mix?
Michael (Turangalila)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turangalila

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Donnie, I believe so too, which is why finding it was a surprise - it claims to have no sugar added. (Also, no colorants and no preservatives.)

Stuff's actually pretty tasty.
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"approximately" 260mg/kg? Sounds totally made up to me.

As far as the 68% stuff goes, I believe it's legal, but only if it contains added sugar. If I remember correctly (I read it here a couple years back), French law states any liqueur type drink over 45% has to have added sugar to be legally sold in France. That's why Emile's line (sans 45) is for export only, cause they don't add sugar.
Michael (Turangalila)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ted - I'm guessing I know where he heard that because I heard it too, and it confused me: it's part of Betina's advertising schtick, that thujone content can't be measured accurately.

I quote: "THERE IS NO TEST THAT ACCURATELY MEASURES THUJONE AMOUNT AT PRESENT. ANYONE WHO STATES A DEFINITIVE NUMBER IS NOT TELLING THE TRUTH."

http://www.allthingsabsinthe.com/absintheshop.html
(f
It's disturbing that for someone who's just written a book she seems to disseminate a decent amount of misleading information. (From the same page: "The absinthe that the artists and poets drank contained approximately 260 mg/kg." Ian projects 6 mg/l.)
Michael (Turangalila)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti -

I've brought back two bottles of Muse Verte 68 from Provence. I thought it tasted pretty good, but I'm not much as far as an experienced taster goes. Anyone want a sample? I think I have too much; I like the moonman stuff I just got better.

The lady who sold it to me says the product's pretty new - just came out earlier this year. I think it's unofficial, as museverte.com doesn't even acknowledge it. It's also 68%, and being sold in France, which is odd and unless I recall incorrectly illegal.

Anyway, I'll give it another taste in a day or two and try to post a review.
le Duc

Post Number: 143

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

bad craziness.
>----walleye--/*>
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 152

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never had problems with SC or LdF. So, I may try Nice Art and Frenchman Phil.

Maybe it is just German exporters they target. Come to think of it, I ordered some CDs from Germany years back, and not only was the package opened, it was actually disposed of, and the CDs were bubble wrapped and placed in a clear plastic shipping bag. It was the oddest thing I'd ever seen.

I also had a CD sent from my aunt in Australia opened.
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 129

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"And yeah, they open everything. Its done at random, but I think they can black flag exporters, and I think Markus may have been black flagged."

not everything, apparently. i've never had or heard of any problems with SC shipments to Canada. and the problem isn't exclusively Markus--Alandia says it's had trouble shipping to canada too. on the other hand, nice-art claims it's shipped to canada without problems. makes no sense to me--unless they rifle all packages from germany alone.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1117

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lediablevert,

It CAN be measured correctly, but for the most part, it hasn't been, because of (as I understand it) difficulties in proper calibration in order to eliminate false readings. There haven't been any peer-reviewed studies published on the subject yet, but Ted has been working on that very problem. He hasn't discussed his findings in detail prior to publication, but he also didn't jump up and down to dispute the numbers in Ian's article, so take that as you will.

Of course, I doubt the sort of commercial absinthe makers who plaster their thujone level on everything would WANT accurate numbers for their thujone content.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gas Chromatography
le Duc

Post Number: 114

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ted,
There is? Hrmm.
As if anyone really cared about
thujone, but still, how is it done?
You're the chemist.
>----walleye--/*>
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Tabreaux

Post Number: 109

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Georgie Boy Wrote:

quote:

"Which, like the EU regulations, is really odd, because there really isn't any way to determine the exact amount of THUJONE there is in any beverage scientifically yet."

Oops! Be careful. I don't know where you heard this but it is very much incorrect.
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 150

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hill's and some crap some called Green Tree are "legal" in BC. Absinthe was never illegal in Canada. It is not absinthe that poses a problem at customs. Alcohol -including beverages- are "non-mailable matter". There's nothing illegal about it, they just send you a letter saying a package address to you containing such and such items has been "processed" by customs. If you wish to send the items back, you call them they call you back with the cost and all is well. Otherwise, they "dispose" of them. They're actually nice about it, and the don't accuse the addressee of anything; its almost like they're concerned someone may have sent you unmailable matter and that you maybe in danger or upset or confused had you received.

And yeah, they open everything. Its done at random, but I think they can black flag exporters, and I think Markus may have been black flagged. I told him next time I order a glass or spoon, I'll go through him and we'll see if they open the package.
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 173

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is an image showing what Lautrec's monogram is actually supposed to look like (see bottom of pic)...
lautrec

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page