Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The Guide Needs You!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » The Guide Needs You! « Previous Next »

The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 563

Posted on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The fruitcake of absinthe
Head?
Escapee from the drunk tank
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2118

Posted on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fruitcake of absinthe.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 562

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've got a bottle of Huguet that's been from Europe, to Kallisti-n-Heads casa', to my mountain abbey, and soon to arrive at Louchefest03'

Now that's a rarity.

If it survives the next trip, I may have to bronze it.
Robert Novak (Justabob)
Paysan
Username: Justabob

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey I got a bottle of Deva that has remained unopened for about six weeks, around here that qualifies for vintage.

The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 561

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Should this site even include Czech swill in it's review of "absinthe"?

Perhaps a section on "Marketing Hypes and Shenanigans"
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 262

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, Hill's vintage absinth circa 1992 - the OLD shit, mang!
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where are the vintage Czech absinthe reviews?
le Duc

Post Number: 261

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alright, Artemis got the ball rolling, so who else has a vintage absinthe review just waiting to spill out of their brain and onto the cyber-page?
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1401

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's the best description of vintage absinthe I've ever read. It hit the nail on the head. Thanks, as always.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 861

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only "vintage" I've had is Berger and Tarragona. Both of them had the intensified, mellow perfume particular to aged absinthe. Both of them had that polished walnut and old leather quality that seems to be peculiar to very old absinthe - it's turned brown and it tastes brown. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but it's a unique thing. This arsenic and old lace character is interesting in its own right, but nothing to seek after in comparison to the *clean* perfumed quality of fresher stuff, IMO. The Berger was more intense in every way than the Tarragona, and tastier. Both of them were better than anything commercial I've had today. Neither had anything on (some - very few) artisanal products of today that would justify the thousand plus dollars one would have to spend on a bottle of the old stuff, IMO.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
le Duc

Post Number: 260

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

*sound of crickets chirping in the thick summer air*
le Duc

Post Number: 258

Posted on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, where are all those vintage reviews?
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 854

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I never saw the label; it was a sample bottle.

After the first sip, the contents went down the drain.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
le Duc

Post Number: 213

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jade Liqueurs "Nouvelle Orleans": Heavenly!

*oops*
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1389

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does that include the LABEL, Artemis?
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 851

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perla Vella: Nasty.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Mssr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3727

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought Bob was your Uncle, Georgie.
GO LIVE !!!
Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 164

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ted, you mean to say that your mother isn't the Queen of England? Damn, yet another rumor I've heard about you has proven to be false.
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Tabreaux

Post Number: 114

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lehmann:

I obtained a bottle of Lehmann from Betina, who procured one as a favor.

This olive green absinthe is packaged in a 70cL clear glass bottle. The one I have is the version that is 70% alcohol, as opposed to the 55% alternative. The labeling exhibits a graphic of a green fairy with eyes shut, holding a glass of absinthe. The front label yields only basics, while the back label describes the liquor as an alcoholic beverage made from aromatic plants, as well as the name and location of the producer/bottler (Tortosa) Spain.

Upon removing the cap, one gets a blast of alcohol (smells like a doctor’s office), and not much else. Upon tasting the liqueur neat, one gets a blast of alcohol, syrup, and perhaps just a faint flavor of anise. Upon the addition of cold water, the olive tint of the liqueur thins, yielding no louche whatsoever. Tasting the resultant mixture is purely disappointing, as one is treated to a syrupy sweetness with very little aromaticity. In fact, there is only a mild hint of anise followed by a faint bitterness in the finish.

In conclusion, this product offers the imbiber virtually nothing of interest. It is relatively insipid and is far too thin and syrupy to be considered as a viable purchase option.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice reviews. Libertine almost sounds like it's worth trying.
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Teichenne:

I obtained a bottle of Teichenné from Betina, who procured it as a favor.

This green liquor is 70% alcohol, and is packaged in a 50cL clear glass bottle. The labeling exhibits a graphic of dancing women in hoop skirts (in Moulin Rouge fashion), with a glass of absinthe in the foreground. The screened labeling doesn’t reveal much other than the maker, which is located in Tarragona, Spain.

Upon removing the cap, one senses a strong scent of heat and anise, followed by a very subtle oily texture. The color is a typical emerald green. Upon tasting the liquor neat, the first flavor is very strange and fleeting, and perhaps can best be described as industrial and rubbery in taste. Immediately following this weird element is a wallop of spicy anise. Upon the addition of cold water, the liquor louches heavily, and sheds its emerald tint to a pronounced yellowish green. The diluted liquor yields a slightly more lengthy exposure to the conspicuous ‘industrial rubber’ flavor, followed by the somewhat oily anise texture and not much else.

In conclusion, this product is a ‘middle of the road’ Spanish-style absinthe with very simple flavor (after one gets past the ‘rubber’) and not much else to report.
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 112

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mata Hari:

I procured a bottle of Mata Hari from someone as part of a trade.

This blue-green liquor is packaged in a 50cL clear glass bottle. The labeling exhibits a graphic of a woman in a kimono who is holding two small glasses of absinthe. The front label boldly claims “Original 1881”. The back label also makes the same claim, which is almost certainly as factual as my mother being the Queen of England, but we’ll stop there because it gets better. The label claims this product to have a “high content of wormwood oil” <snort>, and a “nice opal-green color with ice and water”. The label goes onto say about how “absinthe influenced the 19th century and his artists, due to his hallucinogenic effects…”, and describes how to conduct the Czech fire ritual or drink it over “crashed” ice. Translation-related goofs withstanding, it is obvious there is not one element of this product that has anything to do with the year 1881, or even 1981 for that matter.

Upon removing the screw cap, once senses a strong scent of cut grass, which is reminiscent of the now defunct “Logan 100”. In other words, it smells a bit dark and oily. The color is an obviously artificial shade blue-green. Upon tasting the liquor neat, the first flavor is a mildly spicy aromatic sweetness, which is quickly subdued by an oily, slightly vegetable texture with moderate bitterness. Sitting in the glass, the color is very odd. One could call it ‘plutonium green’. When cold water is added, the liquor tries to louche, yielding only fairly heavy gradient lines. The flavor is again, a distinct spicy aromatic sweetness up front that quickly yields to a mild, dry bitterness, neither of which are unpleasant or linger very long in the mouth.

In conclusion, while looking decidedly ‘Czech’, in actuality, this obvious oil mix is not insipid or unpalatable as one might expect. While it isn’t exactly like sipping a Belle Epoque style absinthe, I can imagine it actually being a decent base for making relatively stimulating long-drink aperitifs.
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 111

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Libertine:

I very recently made a trip to Fougerolles, where I was able to procure a bottle of the 55 degree Libertine.

This liqueur is packaged in a 70cL clear glass bottle. The labeling exhibits a graphic of a Belle Epoque café scene, and has an antique motif. The top label exhibits the familiar "spiritueux aux plantes d'absinthe". The main label lists the ingredients as a maceration and distillation of plants, alcohol, and sugar.

I’ve visited the distillery where this product is made, and can confirm that it is made via an assemblage of macerates and distillates. Due to its particular method of manufacture, the assembler cannot really use A. absinthium without the end product being horribly bitter, and therefore A. pontica is substituted. As a result, the end product contains no A. absinthium, and is therefore not a true absinthe. Libertine would be more appropriately described as perhaps a 'liqueur d’armoise'.

Upon removing the cap, once senses a mild flavor of anise followed by a subtle sweetness and not much heat. The liquor itself is naturally colored and the initial green hue quickly fades to an amber tint because of its clear glass bottle. Tasting it neat reveals only subtle heat along with a distinct flavor of anise up front, followed by a mildly sugary texture. When diluted with water, the liquid louches moderately with fairly heavy gradient lines. The taste of the drink is rather light, sweet, and aromatic, with anise being the predominant flavor followed by mild brandy notes, and no bitterness.

In conclusion, the appearance, texture and flavor of this liqueur is a bit reminiscent of Versinthe, but is lighter in texture, more refined in flavor, and not nearly as sweet. It makes for a pleasant drink.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1235

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and this one by Ted for Abisinthe:

quote:

[Ted Breaux]

I very recently made a trip to Fougerolles, where I was able to secure a bottle of the 72 degree Lemercier "Abisinthe" for review.

This absinthe is packaged in a 70cL yellow glass bottle. The labeling exhibits an antique motif, and claims the product as "Abisinthe", which is done to suit French labeling laws. In fine print just below this can be found "spiritueux a base de plantes d'absinthe". While the main label seductively claims 'ancestral recette originale sans sucre', the back label delivers a sobering slap by describing how to properly prepare the drink, albeit inexplicably (and inexcusably) using the Czech flaming ritual. <snort>

The maker claims the product is distilled, although it is unclear if the product is distilled as a whole or an assemblage of distillates.

Upon removing the cap, once senses a sharp alcoholic odor accompanied by a light aroma of anise. The liquor itself is almost clear, and tasting it neat reveals a good bit of heat along with a distinct flavor of anise up front, followed by bitter woody notes. When diluted with water, the liquid louches moderately with heavy gradient lines. The taste of the drink is rather light and sweet, and the familiar mild acridity of star anise is prevalent.

In conclusion, the appearance, texture and flavor of this absinthe bears an curious similarity to the previously established regional competition (Emile Pernot and F. Guy) which is almost certainly no coincidence. To further this thought, a cheap 'imposter' absinthe has recently surfaced in this region, which features the same exact bottle as Emile Pernot and a blatant ripoff of F. Guy's labeling. Curiously enough, this tasteless fake does not reveal the name of its maker on the label (out of shame no doubt), but I have my suspicions as to its origin.

Ah well, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1234

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

K, found this review for Libertine by Peter (ya'll let me know if you want me to leave you out of it or if you have ammendments or corrections):

quote:

[Petermarc]

Ted, Ian and I were at the distillery that makes libertine two weeks ago. we saw and asked how it was made. It does not contain artemisia absinthium because the resulting product, due to the way it is made, would be too bitter if it did, plus Hugues said he liked artemisia pontica because it is more fine in taste than artemisia absinthium. He also said that this recipe is traditional of the distillery and dates back well before the ban (the distillery has existed since the 1850's.) The distillery makes excellent products besides libertine, and also ships absinthe in bulk to germany to be bottled and labeled under another name.

Is libertine absinthe?

According to french law, no. But then no product made in france can be 'absinthe' in name, anyway, since 'absinthe' is still banned in france. Is it 'absinthe' on the absinthomometer around here? No. Is it 'absinthe' to the maker? Well, if it was made like that before the ban, and 'absinthe' was put on the label, i would have to say: yes...but then again, there were alot of products made before the ban that were less an 'absinthe' than most of the would-be products today...

Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here...

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1233

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In an effort to complete (we're on the final stretch) the much needed updates for the guide, I need reviews for the following brands.

REALLY NEED:
Muse Verte 68
emile sapin & blanche!!! doh! They're in the forum somewhere, but I can't find them.
libertine
abisinthe - is this distilled for real?

KINDA NEED:
artemise pastis
perla vella
mata hari
Lehmann
Teichenne

WOULD BE REALLY COOL TO HAVE:
vintage - any detailed vintage reviews would be lovely!

c'mon, git yer tongue out and WORK IT.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page