Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 26, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe and migraines » Archive through July 26, 2003 « Previous Next »

Georgie Boy (Mighty Fine Young Man) (Lediablevert)
le Duc
Username: Lediablevert

Post Number: 179

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah. Don't bring yer' temperance nonsense onto OUR forums, flake.
>-I AM TROLLING FOR WALLEYE*> >--walleye-/*>
>----walleye--/*>
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1236

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like booze, what's yer problem.

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1135

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

A hangover, on the other hand, is largely the result of dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Pop a couple of salt tablets (with potassium AND sodium) and have a couple glasses of water and you'll be fine and dandy.

You might want to put some complex carbohydrates into the equation, since another componant is alcohol's breakdown of your glycogen stores.

Dehydrated, hypoglycemic and probably mildly poisoned. Does it get any better than that?
Mssr. Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3735

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ooh the pain!!! ooh the pain!!!
GO LIVE !!!
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 223

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

luckily i don't get too much nauseau with my migraines. mine usually start somewhere between behind my eyes and the base of my neck. i can usually feel one coming on. my vision gets a bit funky, and i get disoriented and can't move much when i've got one full blown. i get really sensitive to light but i'm ok with sounds. and next day i'm totally drained. had one last for 3 days once that i was only able to get rid of with a trip to the doc for some meds and to the chirporactor. when i can afford to go to the chiro regularly, i can keep them away almost completely. otherwise i get one at least every couple months, up to a few a month.
Traineraz (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've always found it interesting (and a bit annoying) how people seem to confuse migraine with a "bad headache" or, in this case, a hangover.

Take a look at Excedrin Migraine. It's loaded with caffeine. That's because a migraine involves vasodilation, the expansion of blood vessels in the brain. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor.

Regular tension headaches are the opposite, usually caused by vasoconstriction and high blood pressure.

Migraines typically begin with the "aura," a visual disturbance which, in my case, involves jiggly lines across my field of vision, and severely distrupted depth perception. Then comes the very intense pain on one side of the head, usually coupled with nausea and/or vomiting. The nausea (for me) only lasts an hour or so, but the pain typically runs about 11 hours. It is more intense if I stop moving, and lying down is just an insane idea. I usually end up pacing for hours to keep the blood in my legs. The next day I'm usually pretty well worn out.

A hangover, on the other hand, is largely the result of dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Pop a couple of salt tablets (with potassium AND sodium) and have a couple glasses of water and you'll be fine and dandy.
He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.

-- Thus Spake Zoboomafoo
steena faustus (Faustus)
Mousquetaire
Username: Faustus

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course more alcohol helps to ease hangovers. After all, hangovers are, in part, withdrawals.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1133

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

same thing happened when i did lsd. i stopped having migraines after i started dropping acid, but after i stopped dropping, they came back.

That isn't altogether surprising, since serotonergics have been used treat migraines, and LSD is thought to be a serotonin receptor agonist.
le Duc

Post Number: 166

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Perfect. That site has some pretty good info. I even bookmarked it!

BTW- The absinthe seemed to do the trick. The headache is gone (until morning).

The herbs in absinthe may have something to do with it, as well as how it was distilled, but generally any amount of alcohol is actually a cureall for a hangover in general. I mean, the first thing I do the day after new year's is get up and crack open a blue ribbon. That usually does the trick. Have you ever heard of the Absinthe House Breakfast Frappe? I think the cocktail goes like this: add 1 egg, a shot of absinthe, and an ounce and a half of almond syrup to a glass. Add crushed ice to that with milk. Then, you just mix it under a drink mixer until it's frothy and put it back in the glass. People in the New Orleans used to swear by it as a cure-all for morning hangovers.
>----walleye--/*>
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 853

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Happy to help.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 524

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perfect. That site has some pretty good info. I even bookmarked it!

BTW- The absinthe seemed to do the trick. The headache is gone (until morning).
Escapee from the drunk tank
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 852

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.all-about-hangovers.com/html/congeners.html
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 522

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've got a headache right now. Perhaps the absinthe will get rid of it?
Escapee from the drunk tank
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No headaches for me either.

Another possible reason for hangover headaches is that alcohol interferes with sleeping, preventing you from getting into deep sleep, and being passed out isn't the same as sleeping.
steena faustus (Faustus)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Err yeah. Hey, no one ever said absinthe is good for your language processing center. =P
le Duc

Post Number: 162

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

trying to spit out scientific american?
heh.
>----walleye--/*>
steena faustus (Faustus)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have heard that lack of cogeners is one reason why absinthe doesn't (or isn't supposed to anyway) cause headaches. Same with gin. However, I've also heard that a very common reason why people get headaches when drinking is actually dehydration. Again, this problem is often minimized by drinking lots of water (in your absinthe, or tonic in your gin). Makes you crave salt too. Check out the Alcohol section on New Scientist (or is it American Scientist?). Nothing specific about asbinthe, but a couple interest articles.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 850

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never had a headache from drinking absinthe. Part of its appeal is that it's free of the congeners that cause headaches with many other alcoholic drinks (unless you get hold of some made with crappy alcohol, I suppose). Maybe the herbs are causing the problem? Hard to credit that, though.

As for LSD, its creator, Dr. Albert Hofmann, was seeking a cure for headache when he created it.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

le Duc

Post Number: 161

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sebor will give you some kind of hangover in the morning. By the way, if you've ever had too much Sebor Strong (an excess of 3 disgusting glasses), you will surely notice where it gets it's title from the next morning. Hence the name "Sebor Strong (Headache)".
>----walleye--/*>
Traineraz (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Red wine and histamine fluctuations are my usual triggers . . . but never absinthe. Or Serpis, the absinthe red.

Beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice!!
He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.

-- Thus Spake Zoboomafoo
Baz (Baz)
le Duc
Username: Baz

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LSD and shroomies have some scientific data to back them up as a remedy for cluster migraines, but of course no lab would dare test them to reduce pain because the government knows best what we should put in our bodies. I'm glad we have a government that looks out for us so carefully and keeps us from making any "dangerous" decisions bec-

sound of baz being arrested by storm troopers
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 222

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i've suffered from migraines my whole life. i actually have noticed the opposite: when i'm drinking absinthe, they stay away.

same thing happened when i did lsd. i stopped having migraines after i started dropping acid, but after i stopped dropping, they came back.

the effect of absinthe isn't so strong, but i have never had a migraine within at least a couple weeks of an absinthe drinking day/night. i can't say the same for anything else.

now if only i could afford to partake in the fairy on a regular basis ;D
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No. Everything else gives me a headache if I have a lot, but never absinthe, in any quantity. I definitely experienced that disconnected state once, the day after drinking lots and lots of absinthe. But no headache.
21st Century Rimbaud (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 211

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't ever get migraines, but if I have at least 2 absinthes, the next day I feel sort of disconnected from everything. It's not at all unpleasant, although I don't feel like working when I'm in that state.
(Baz)
le Duc
Username: Baz

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've noticed, through delicate and well-measured experiments, that absinthe triggers migraines for me fairly often. It has never stopped me from drinking but it has made my prescriptions for imitrex more expensive.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page