Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Muse Verte

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Muse Verte « Previous Next »

Zouave (Giovannigray)
le Duc
Username: Giovannigray

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just got through perusing the absinthe vendors' websites, and it looks like alandia.de is now selling La Muse Verte 68.
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael was quoted, " will be marred by my inability to tell melissa from mugwort, so to speak (or fennel from anis, for that matter).

Neat, Molly says the color".....

Let's just hope you keep Molly and Melissa's names straight, and for got sakes don't even mention Mugwort!
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 338

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course, no commercial absinthe, especially an oil mix, is as good as Moonman's exquisite artisinal elixirs. But this is readily available and IMO drinkable. I don't like most other oil mix types, except Oxygénée.

I'm not the guy to answer your technical questions about how the stuff is made.
Michael (Turangalila)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turangalila

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also, two questions, hopefully answerable:

1. When you say that this is an oil mix, what does that mean? Does it exclude distilled and macerated elements entirely, or can an oil mix be a combination of oils, macerates and distillates? If so, is this common practice, or are most oil mixes simply oils?

2. Does the color of the Muse Verte come from a dedicated coloration step in the manufacturing process or is it caused by whatever macerates were used in the mix? I assume that the oils used would be pretty colorless, and the product claims to be naturally colored, so I think there either have to be macerates or a coloration step.
Michael (Turangalila)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alright, I had another glass of Muse Verte 68 tonight with my girlfriend... Bear in mind that the mini-'review' that follows will be marred by my inability to tell melissa from mugwort, so to speak (or fennel from anis, for that matter).

Neat, Molly says the color is a 'deep olive green', although it looks yellowy to me. It louched very heavily with a slow drip of ice cold water at about a 1:1 dilution, although when I was less careful and quicker w/the second glass it did it around 1:2. Its color when louched is sort of a pale green opal. Taking into account my herbal difficulties, I think it certainly tastes of anis/fennil/wormwood, without the anis flavors overwhelming the other subtle background I can't make head or tail of. It has a light, floral quality which I really like, when drunk at about 1:6 (the bottle suggests a 1:6-1:8 dilution, and although I usually like drinks strong I find it way too anis-y at lower dilutions, which overwhelms the other flavors.)

However, it lacks the really nice subtlety and vitality of Moonman's #'s 20 & 21, which I seem to be rapidly falling in love with. Muse Verte is pleasant but doesn't feel as good to drink, whatever that means. However, it certainly doesn't have the putrid taste of Un Emile 45 - I hope the 68 is better because the 45 version smelled way too fishy. I think it compares favorably with F. Guy.

In case anyone is curious, the back of the bottle reads: "La Muse Verte se boit en répétant le rituel de nos anciens. Versez délicatement 6 à 8 volumes d’eau fraîche sur le sucre. Puis utilisez la cuillère à absinthe pour mélanger. Ainsi vous ferez ressortir les multiples arômes de la Muse Verte.

Sans sucre, sans colorant, ni conservateur.

Ingrédients : alcool, plantes aromatiques."

It comes in a pretty black bottle with a shitty label.
Zouave (Giovannigray)
le Duc

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the mini-review, Spoon! You said the magic words: "F. Guy".. which, despite my most heartfelt efforts, I just don't like.. In fact after repeated attempts to appreciate it, I dubbed it sinkworthy and down it went. If Muse Verte tastes anything like Guy, I'll avoid it.

I recognize, however, that to most people F. Guy is a good thing.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 337

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes I agree, the label is really stupid.
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 234

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The packaging for Muse Verte absinthe is quite unattractive, though. They did a much better job with their pastis.
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 334

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would put NS and Larsand in the smegma category, Personally I don't like La Fee or Pernod that much either. The Muse Verte has a much more balanced flavor, lacking that vaguely unpleasant taste I find in both La Fee and Pernod. The melissa is definitely more prominent (like F. Guy). It probably has some star anis because it louches quite heavily. It is a lovely shade of green, and according to the bottle is not artifically colored.
Zouave (Giovannigray)
le Duc

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only oil mixes that I regularly drink anymore are La Fee, Pernod 68 and only very occasionally NS 70 and Larsand. The rest, pretty much, are smegma. Does Muse Verte compare in flavor to any of these, or is it appreciably different?
Michael (Turangalila)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never had any other oil-mix absinthe beside Muse Verte, but when I first tasted it I really enjoyed it - it was very fresh and striking. I haven't had a chance to drink it again yet (too much other stuff to try) but I'd recommend having a taste.
Zouave (Giovannigray)
le Duc

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ah.. okay, thanks. I didn't think I'd seen it offered by the usual group of vendors (SC, Markus, etc)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 333

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Frenchman sells it!
Zouave (Giovannigray)
le Duc

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where did you find it, Spoon Boy?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 332

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes the absinthe not the pastis.
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 493

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is this the new Muse Verte 68 absinthe you are describing?
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 331

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...is quite tasty. IMHO the best oily-mix-stylie.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page