Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Thanks guys!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Thanks guys! « Previous Next »

Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"if I can justify the price to myself, a bottle of Moonman. "

Judging by your review of Emile's opposed to your dislike of Absente, I'm pretty sure you'r ready to appreciate Moonman's elixirs.

Just make sure to find a good job because after tasting it, you'll be wasted ;-).
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 552

Posted on Sunday, August 3, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank your lucky stars you avoided the "B" train.
Escapee from the drunk tank
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 337
Posted on Sunday, August 3, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Baron,
Welcome to the fray! It is good that your first real taste of absinthe started with the best commercially available out there. As for a new hobby...you have no idea what your'e getting yourself into. ;)
As for future suggestions, I would submit to you that Moonman's is a trip into the artisanal world, and worth making. Also look to Francois Guy, Kubler, and Segarra to round out your "true distilled" experience.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Baron Von Kaseijin (Kaseijin)
Paysan
Username: Kaseijin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 3, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I just wanted to make a post here to thank you guys for all the information you've put together here.

I found you guys about 3 or 4 years ago (back when you were touting MM as the shit) and have been lurking/reading sporadically ever since, but was not inclined to speak up, as I had not yet broken the absinthe cherry, as it were. The only thing I had tried was some really nasty pastis called Absente. That's actually how I found you guys.... I tasted that stuff...shuddered...and then did a google search to see what other people had to say about it. I was pleased to see that you guys thought it was rather ass-tasting, too, and I pretty much just sat down and read the rest of the site.

Being a poor college student at the time, I couldn't really afford to import a bottle, so I just kinda waited and read a lot. Recently, I have had the pleasure of getting two bottles of Emile - one of the 68 and one Sapin. Thanks to you guys, I could skip through a lot of shady-sounding Czech brands and start with something that tasted...well...wonderful! My thoughts on the two are as follows:

Emile 68 - I ordered this in the wood gift box with the glasses and spoons, since I didn't have any of those. I was a bit taken aback at how pale and non-green it looked neat. I mean, I was prepared for that from reading here, but it still seemed..well...odd to me. The louche was indeed pale, but improved a lot when I used really, really cold water, and the glasses that it came with had some nice fluting on the bottoms of them that really made the light play on the louche in a neat, neat way. The first sip was so much better than the Absente. Not even in the same ballpark. Different drink entirely. The Emile was smooth, and it didn't hit me over the head with the licorice taste. There was just a faint taste of anise, and then...the aftertaste (finish?) was more...well...it sorta tastes like a meadow. If that makes sense. It's really nice. It doesn't have a strong alcohol burn to it, either...it's very drinkable. Down here in TX where summer temps get over 100 this time of year, I found it really nice to drink in the afternoon.

As far as secondaries go, I wasn't really expecting much. Not sure if I even believed in them after everything I had read. I'm still not so sure if I believe in them, but I will say that it gave me a different drunk after a couple of glasses, whatever that may mean. Bourbon makes me silly, beer makes me beligerent, but this...just sorta...made me happy and contemplative. And I didn't feel quite as drunk until I got up and started moving around, at which point my motor control told me that yes, I was drunk. I noticed that I was really light sensitive....but....I attribute that to the fact that I was drinking during the day. I figure I would probably get pretty light sensitive any time I drink, but I usually drink at night. After sharing this bottle with friends, and guzzling a good bit myself, it was gone in about 3 days, though.....so.....

I bought a bottle of Sapin. I like this even better. Not as much sharing of this bottle - I want it to last. The louche seems stronger, and it seems a bit greener than the 68. The flavor...well....I'm no expert at describing tastes of drinks, but it has something good in it that the 68 doesn't. This is really, really good stuff!

I think I'll try the Blanche next....or if I can justify the price to myself, a bottle of Moonman. Any other suggestions? I think I have a new hobby! ^_^

Thanks for your site!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page