Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

First taste(s) of absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » First taste(s) of absinthe « Previous Next »

ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2134

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ha!!!!!!!!!
Hi, what're ya havin'?
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 580

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sure we drink emile.... the NEW one!
Escapee from the drunk tank
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 384

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Imp has a better time than anybody, he gets to lay around and bark at the guy who brings those funny bottles, while I burn out my eyes over a CAD screen.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1430

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jay, you're all right. (And so's the Imp)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 383

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I still enjoy the Emile's, I just wanted an excuse to rhyme. (I've enjoyed both types, HG & Emile)
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1429

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does this mean that you and Louched Liver don't order (or drink) the "Emile" absinthes anymore? Ever?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 382

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Once you go Hogsmacked, you never go back.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2133

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

10:1? what the fuck? That's just silly.
Danny Pancakes,
There is no reward for posting by the pound. Glad you are fired up though.
And yes, once you bust yer cherry w/HG, you are fucked.
For real.
I mean it.
Seriously.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 320

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is true. I learned all about it over this past weekend...
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 578

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I'm definitely interested in trying a La Bleue (Betina’s #2?) "
Don't waste your money.

For the $$ the Moonman is much better. BUT, once you go HG, you cannot go back. It's an absinthe paradigm shift.
Escapee from the drunk tank
le Duc

Post Number: 317

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Must.....kill.....the......Slake...
Oxygenee (Oxygenee)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Oxygenee

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's the "everywhere" that struck me as bizarre, and that I was really questioning. I suppose if he had said "somewhere", I would just automatically have assumed it was another Slakeism from Winnies Ship of Fools.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxy sez..."I'm pretty certain that such an idiotic piece of misinformation has never appeared in any book, magazine, newspaper or website even once, anywhere, ever."

Now don't be so quick. It is VERY possible that such garbage gets posted as gospel at Winnie-the-Pooh's forum.

Imperial Order of Absinthe
Oxygenee (Oxygenee)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Oxygenee

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I read everywhere the 'normal' ratio was 10:1"

Really? You read this "everywhere"?

Presumably this must have been in the same Twighlight Zone where its hard to find a link to buy an absinthe spoon, because in the space-time continuum the rest of us live in, I'm pretty certain that such an idiotic piece of misinformation has never appeared in any book, magazine, newspaper or website even once, anywhere, ever.
Picasso's Last Words (Dpanice)
Paysan
Username: Dpanice

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I started off with the spanish brands first off, and I really enjoyed them. Deva 50%, and Serpis are both great (in my opinion) if you ever want to try some spanish brands. N.S. is also good.

Thanks for the tips, Chris. Actually, I have been thinking about placing an order with Markus, but I am having second thoughts because we really, really like the Un Emiles so much (no offense, Markus - your service was great when I ordered my fountain and your email responses to my inquiries have always been prompt, courteous, and helpful - thanks!!). As far as Spanish absinthes go, I am inclined to try Segarra - if anything - based on what I've read here (I know, Head is probably going to recommend Serpis...). Since shipping costs make it cost prohibitive to order less than three bottles, in my opinion, I was thinking about trying another distilled French brand - the Francois Guy. To round out my order, I thought maybe we should try an oil mix - so I was going to go with the Pernod 68. But, like I said, we have fallen in love with the Emiles, and on a limited budget, I'm afraid we might be disappointed with some of the other commercial brands out there. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on why I should or shouldn't order some of the brands mentioned above - or other ones, for that matter. I have read the FAQs, the buyers guide & reviews, and much of the archives, and these choices are the direct result of that research, but I still welcome your comments.

As far as non-commercial brands, I'm definitely interested in trying a La Bleue (Betina’s #2?) and Moonman's as soon as I can swing the cash...but meanwhile, I'm not sure if I should place another LDF order or give some other brands a chance...

Daniel
"Drink to me, drink to my health..."
le Duc

Post Number: 308

Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Uh oh...I smell smoke...

Chris G (Alisoviejoguy)
Mousquetaire
Username: Alisoviejoguy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good to hear you mixed your own ratio.

I read everywhere the 'normal' ratio was 10:1. I found I liked 1.5:1 much better. Strong, but a nice stout sipping drink.

I started off with the spanish brands first off, and I really enjoyed them. Deva 50%, and Serpis are both great (in my opinion) if you ever want to try some spanish brands. N.S. is also good.

You can float the serpis (red) on the deva 50% (green) before you mix it up too. More of a party trick than anything, but it's fun.
Raschied Britannica (Raschied)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 357

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to the site! Good to see newbies join the fray!

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Celeste Doerr (Greeneyes)
Paysan
Username: Greeneyes

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>I can't believe somebody actually READ the FAQ and did research...

I can! The FAQ and Buyers' Guide on this site are rich sources of information for us neophytes. There's a lot of hype out there. This forum and others like it merit commendation for debunking it. Thanks!
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 868

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Somebody needs to give this guy a free bottle."

What's holding you back?
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't believe somebody actually READ the FAQ and did research before posting for the first time. Somebody needs to give this guy a free bottle.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Daniel Panice (Dpanice)
Paysan
Username: Dpanice

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello forum members,

If the contents of this post ring familiar, it's because there are some striking similarities to a recent post ("Thanks guys!") by Baron Von Kaseijin. I, too, have been lurking on this forum after searching the Web for info on absinthe, although only for a few weeks now rather than years like the good Baron. Nonetheless, I found the forum, as well as the rest of this site, to be extremely valuable in educating myself on absinthe. I found some of the “other” forums and sites out there, and for lack of a better description, I found the content and discussions here to be of a much more professional level.

At any rate, it wasn’t a pastis tasting which piqued my curiosity about absinthe, but instead it was a recent repeat viewing of Moulin Rouge. My wife had heard of absinthe, but I had not. She explained a brief bit about it’s history to me – what she knew anyway – and off I went to search the internet to find out what I could about this mystery drink that – as far as I could tell – was some sort of a hallucinogen.

Little did I know – until finding feeverte.net – that this was far from the truth. I also had no idea that absinthe would still be available in this day and age. Hallucinogenic misinformation aside, I still became quite enchanted with the idea of absinthe. From what I read here, I was fascinated with the ritual involved in preparing a glass, the wild descriptions of varying tastes posted in the reviews, and the secondary effects which I learned “not to seek, but to enjoy, if experienced” (or something like that) that I saw posted here. (Apologies to whomever I just misquoted, but I’m sure you all get the idea)

Like the Baron, I chose Un Emile 68 as my first taste of absinthe. I, too, ordered the gift box from LDF and it arrived promptly in the middle of last week. The difficult part, for me, was waiting until Friday night, when my wife and I agreed we would first try the glorious drink.

Finally, Friday arrived. We each had just a couple of glasses, mixed about 4:1, dripping the ice cold filtered water (our tap water isn’t bad, and our refrigerator has a built in water filter) as best I could from a heavy crystal pitcher. Similar to the Baron, I was a little surprised at the lack of green color present in the Un Emile, although that is what I expected from my readings here. The louche looked good, although with nothing to compare it to except for pictures, I can’t really say whether my drip was slow enough or my water cold enough to bring it out as much as I could. I definitely felt the effects of alcohol, which didn’t surprise me because I am not a big drinker (or should I say I wasn’t a big drinker?). It definitely felt like a different kind of “drunk” as it were than I had ever experienced before, although I really couldn’t put my finger on what was different.

On Saturday, I decided to dive back into my experimentation around noon. I had a few glasses (now mixing 3:1, which has become my ratio of choice, I suppose) over several hours throughout the afternoon, and I didn’t really feel the alcohol as much as I had the night before. Without really being able to describe it, I did sort of feel a “clarity” that seemed to keep me from really feeling drunk. I decided to see what creative inspiration I might be experiencing and sat down at my music workstation and came up with some interesting chord progressions which did seem to just come to me, whereas this is something I have always had difficulty with in the past. Having said that, however, I recognize that simply having the notion that absinthe would stimulate creativity in my head is probably enough to lower inhibitions which might normally keep me from trying things I might not otherwise…but who likes logical explanations like that, right?

Anyway, after a couple more glasses each between me and my wife last Saturday night, and a couple more after a particularly rough day during the week, my bottle of Un Emile was almost gone! This week I decided to order LDF’s “Three of the Best,” which arrived at my office - much to the curiosity of the mailroom clerk – yesterday afternoon. Last night, we (my wife and I, not me and the mailroom clerk) each tried a glass of the Sapin, and then I went for a glass of the Blanche while my wife decided to revert back to the “regular” Un Emile. Admittedly, I have difficulty distinguishing between them, as the differences appear to be quite subtle, especially to my quite untrained palate! I assume much more practice is required…

Echoing the Baron’s sentiments once again, I want to express my gratitude to Kallisti for a wonderful site and all of you here at the forum for all of the seemingly accurate information and guidance that helped me come to appreciate absinthe even though it was far from what I was expecting when I first typed those letters into a search engine some weeks back.

Thanks again!
Daniel

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page