Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Snatched Shipments?!?!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Snatched Shipments?!?! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 19, 2003Donnie Darko (Besanš25 8-19-03  4:09 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire
Username: Mephistopheles

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the information Markus, i placed my order. Of particular interest is the Elixier, I wonder if anyone here has sampled it?
"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
ben (Slightlymadman)
Paysan
Username: Slightlymadman

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, but in the process of deciding whether or not to buy the house, my decision was heavily influenced by the thought of sitting on the wraparound porch at dusk in the summer, with a cool glass of absinthe and a clove.

And that's what I did last night (except I didn't get home until after sundown). I didn't break out the Un Emile yet, though (my lady-friend is making me save that for when she comes over this weekend). Had some Kubler and Segarra, though, which go pretty well together (although I made the mistake of adding sugar to the Kubler, which ended up WAY too sweet for my tastes).

I figure I'll save the Pernod 68 and about half of the Un Emile for my trip. To bring this somewhat back on topic, should I worry about flying domestically with absinthe? Will it matter if a bottle has been opened?
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ben, you need to get your priorities straight. You never sacrifice the quality or quantity of your alcohol over something as mundane as a house.
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1418

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ben, I was being facetious. Everyone that hangs out in this forum is -- by definition -- nuts about absinthe, if not just plain nuts.

Welcome to Charenton, comrade. You're not alone.
ben (Slightlymadman)
Paysan

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I'm just very excited right now, as I've recently bought a house, and have therefore been too poor to order anything for about a year, and there's all these curious new French brands out now, that I haven't had before.

And I go to New Orleans in October, as well. The 80 hour weeks I've been working for the past few months are finally starting to pay off.

I'm dragging this thread OT, though, so I'll shut up, now.
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1417

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One phrase you will hardly ever see on this forum:

"It's just a drink, dammit!"
ben (Slightlymadman)
Paysan

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's good to know, but I can't possibly imagine a greater risk than having to wait longer for my absinthe.

Why, just imagine: what if I finished up my last bottle, because I thought I had another coming the next day? When the package shows up empty, I'd be dry! I'd be forced to drink wine, or gin, or maybe even that bottle of Hills an old girlfriend gave me! I could be absintheless for weeks!

I kid, of course. Right now I'm reeling from the shock of my package showing up so early. I expected to have to wait another 2 weeks, and was so happy I almost cried when I saw the box on my porch, this morning!
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and people should also note that most sellers will offer to replace lost parcels, a refund or some kind of compensation so the risk ends up in the sellers hands anyway.

Ben Sarsgard (Slightlymadman)
Paysan

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just to ease anyone's mind in the USA, I just received a box of 5 bottles from Markus. It was intact and quite fast, to boot.

I was getting a bit nervous from this thread, so when I picked up the box and felt that it was heavy, I just about bounced inside to open it up!

Now, I must finish my work so I can go home and try my first bottle of Un Emile!
Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 195

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Small boxes: max 3 bottles
Big boxes: max 6 bottles

Maybe small boxes are less inspected, but that's just me guessing. I have had customers, who had problems with the customs - but not more now than in the past. There's always a little risk left. To be honest such cases are rather rare.
Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire
Username: Mephistopheles

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Markus, I'm planning to place a multiple bottle(4) order in the next couple of days. Have you seen a problem with importing larger orders to the states?
"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 194

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Doesn't seem to be so...
Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 155

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some distributors are black flagged, at least by Canada customs. This is why Markus no longer ships to Canada -anything he sends is open. He was kind enough to ship a glass to me, and surprise surprise it had been opened.

Even a 2 bottle order from Markus was opened. I'm sure US customs does the same thing, so hopefully Markus won't be flagged by the US.
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besanšon

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is another customs tip which is critical you remember:

A friend of mine was stopped by US customs agents in Canada for illegally visiting Cuba (by flying there from Canada, which is illegal if you're a US citizen unless you're a journalist and are granted permission). They said "we'll let you go, we just need you to sign some paperwork". He flat out refused to sign because US law says you are not required to sign without a lawyer present, and law enforcement can't force you to sign. They made it sound like he would have his Passport suspended if he didn't sign, but he refused to anyway His girlfriend however did sign the documents. Now any time she re-enters the US she is detained by customs and thoroughly searched, whereas my friend walks through and they don't even bat an eyelash! He's travelled abroad 3 times since then with no problem whatsoever. Apparently those documents they make you sign put you in some sort of database/watch list?
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page