Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BLACKJACK!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BLACKJACK! « Previous Next »

Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 650
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm. Intriguing. I saw the book described as "a darker Lord of the Flies" heh, heh.

Among the other things going for it, the cover of a recent edition features a Henry Darger artwork on the cover (YOW!! That's going TOO far!!) and BOB borrowed some lines from the movie long before he even read Yakuza. And pirates.

Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 872

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anybody seen or read "A High Wind in Jamaica", book (Richard Hughes, 1929) or movie (1965)?

I've seen the movie. It gets three stars for nymphet content - the girl in it doesn't come into the five-star territory of Lizzie Maquire, or the raven-haired nymphet in "Pale Rider", but the sexual tension between her and her pirate captors (Anthony Quinn in particular) is interesting, especially for an American movie of that time. In today's save the children climate, it probably couldn't even be made. I even went to the trouble of looking up the young actress's name to see what else she had been in, but the answer was, nothing. There's a website about movie nymphets somewhere that has this sort of information.

Quinn gives his usual excellent performance, by the way, and James Coburn is in it too.

BTW, the young female star of Picnic at Hanging Rock was stalked for the rest of her life by movie viewers hot and bothered by her performance in that.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1250

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, Mmmmm.... Peter Weir.

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" Drinking Game anyone?
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1404

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The character of Jack Aubrey is strongly based on the Scottish Lord Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dondonald (1775-1860), probably the greatest fighting sea captain England has ever produced. He was also the true, if unofficial, founder of the Chilean navy, and its first Commander-in-Chief (1819). Cochrane successfully drove the Spaniards off of Chile's coast during that country's war of independence. He went on to lead the fleets of Brazil and Greece in their own struggles for independence.

Cochrane's name graces Chile's Naval Academy, and his restored house in Valparaiso is now the Chilean Naval Museum.

Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anybody seen or read "A High Wind in Jamaica", book (Richard Hughes, 1929) or movie (1965)? I ran across a reference to it the other day and it's sounds interesting.
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 500

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was concerned about the casting at first. I know and love O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels, and the main characters are not beautiful people. Jack Aubrey is sort of a big fat guy... a muscular, handsome fat guy, to be sure, but even if Russell Crowe beefed up a little bit for the part, I can't really see it. Time will tell. Stephen Maturin is a puny, wizened, balding, mostly unremarkable little man. Except for his cold pale eyes, which are rather disturbing in their intensity. Looking at the still photos of Paul Bettany, I suspect he might just pull it off.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1172

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Avast!
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3780

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Guess what we'll be seeing soon...

PETER PAN!

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
GO LIVE !!!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page